Does it matter what I eat, fatty or healthy? Will I lose as long as i dont go over my calorie intake

Options
Is it possible to lose the weight even if i eat a burger compared to a salad?

Replies

• ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Yes, sustained weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out.

If you eat high sodium take out style food, you might get an increase in water weight for a while that masks the actual fat loss, but long term, you will lose weight.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Yes. Tweaking the food types and proportions is useful for nutrition and fulless but not essential for fat loss- neither is excersise or drinking water.

You can lose fat eating 3 mars bars a day and drinking diet soda. You may be hungry and end up with scurvy though! But you would be skinny in time.

• hot1313
    hot1313 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Mmm Mars Bar! Thanks so much :)
  • Seif110
    Seif110 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yes u can but the less ur body fat gets the more likely u will be risking losing muscle when dieting that's why u should aim for healthy protein rich foods. And healthy carbs , fats and lift weights . If ur just starting enjoy it while it lasts lol
  • hot1313
    hot1313 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you...I focus on healthy meals mostly but I also have a cookie here some bread there. Great advice! :):):)
  • Seif110
    Seif110 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You are welcome :).. bread Is totally fine but of course try choose the rye or whole grain types because its more nutritious and makes u full have as much as u want from it but within ur calorie limit . also a cookie or even a whole bar of chocolate won't damage anything ..as long as u eat healthy meals and u don't go over ur calorie goal
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Its all about the balance. I personally don't cut any Food from my diet I just Watch how much and when I Eat it. I would just Like to mention that if you do eat too much fatty Food you will lose weight but your body might not Look Like it, since fat is around double the size of the muscle for same weight. Also you should be careful Because of your health, visceral fat is very dangerous.
    But all in all, as long as you don't base your diet on fats, and Eat it in moderate amount you should live a healthy and yummy life :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Will you lose weight yes?

Is a burger sometimes a more nutritionally valid choice than a salad ..hell yes...a fresh, home made burger can help you hit protein and fat goals

Does it matter what you eat?
    For weight loss no
    For health and nutritional balance yes
    Hit your macro and micro nutrient targets ...then eat whatever you want with the remaining calories

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Contrary to what the above poster said, you CANNOT loose FAT eating Mars Bars. You COULD however lose weight (mostly muscle) eating Mars Bars in a deficit. ;) Sugar increase Insulin, which puts you in fat storage mode, and halts any burning of fat. You simply burn carbs, and then muscle. :)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    hot1313 wrote: »
    Is it possible to lose the weight even if i eat a burger compared to a salad?

Yes if they are the same amount of calories. But --- they probably aren't.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Yes calories in vs calories out determines weight loss. That said it's stupid to ignore getting the proper macros and micros.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Some people, like me, seem to lose more quickly on a fatty diet. For example, for dinner I had a burger patty with Swiss cheese and a tablespoon of mayo, along with some cucumber and baby carrots with asiago cheese dip. Fat heavy but I have lost almost 40 lbs eating fat heavy at a caloric deficit.
  • la_vie_est_belle_
    la_vie_est_belle_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It sure is possible. Calories in vs. calories out. The problem with me is that when I eat junk my blood sugar goes all over the place and causes me to want to eat more , so I try to eat things that make my blood sugar stable
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Will you lose weight yes?

Is a burger sometimes a more nutritionally valid choice than a salad ..hell yes...a fresh, home made burger can help you hit protein and fat goals

That's a really good point - I think most of us have "healthy" vs "unhealthy" foods drilled into our heads all our lives, when in reality it's the overall diet that is healthy or unhealthy, and foods like burgers, while often overconsumed, still have a place in a healthy diet.
  • tonysan65
    tonysan65 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My goal has been to lose weight and at the same time design my food intake to reflect what I enjoy eating. So far I have lost 26 pounds. I am learning, and maybe because of my age, losing weight is not only about calories in vs calories burned. I am extremely focused on my calorie intake, I record after every meal and also I exercise approx 45 min to an hour each day. My program has been set up to lose two pounds a week. That gives me 1200 calories a day. I stay between 1100 to 1300 calories a day and I never use the calories I lose from working out. The frustration is I can go two weeks without losing any weight and than the third week I will lose a pound or a pound and a half. I do believe the type of food we take in must have an effect on our weight also not just calories. If anyone has had similar results I would like to hear about it and if you have figured out what causes this result I would love to hear about it also. Good luck to you all, a healthy body makes a big difference in how you feel.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! I eat home made burgers all the time and still lose weight.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    tonysan65 wrote: »
    My goal has been to lose weight and at the same time design my food intake to reflect what I enjoy eating. So far I have lost 26 pounds. I am learning, and maybe because of my age, losing weight is not only about calories in vs calories burned. I am extremely focused on my calorie intake, I record after every meal and also I exercise approx 45 min to an hour each day. My program has been set up to lose two pounds a week. That gives me 1200 calories a day. I stay between 1100 to 1300 calories a day and I never use the calories I lose from working out. The frustration is I can go two weeks without losing any weight and than the third week I will lose a pound or a pound and a half. I do believe the type of food we take in must have an effect on our weight also not just calories. If anyone has had similar results I would like to hear about it and if you have figured out what causes this result I would love to hear about it also. Good luck to you all, a healthy body makes a big difference in how you feel.

I don't know if I believe that since I've eaten burgers, fried chicken, ice cream, etc and still have lost weight at the age of 45!! AND I'm not the only one here who's lost weight by eating what we normally eat, just less of it.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Yes calories in vs calories out determines weight loss. That said it's stupid to ignore getting the proper macros and micros.

This, only I prefer "unwise" to "stupid" :)

I eat burgers...and salad.

Mostly the burgers are made at home from beef that was humanely raised, because that is something I value. Occasionally I will get one out at a restaurant. I haven't had a fast food burger since watching Food Inc., which made me think about quality and taste over price and convenience.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    tonysan65 wrote: »

That weird pattern of loss is perfectly normal and could be down to work outs, sodium intake, or phases of the moon. Who knows. The thing to take comfort in? It's normal.

As for the rest of your post?

I'm sorry, but speaking as a 53 year old woman who's lost 72 pounds, I really have to disagree with you. While the majority of my diet is for the most part comprised of nutritious food, I've not deprived myself of things like fries, cheesecake, ice cream, candy, and cookies.

There's room for both nutrition and ... fun... in a sensible food intake while you're losing weight.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can eat a burger instead of a salad and lose weight. As others have said, it's all about the calories in vs. the calories out. As long as you eat less than you burn, you will lose. However, eating a nutritionally balanced diet that includes both hamburgers AND salads will help you to be healthier, with stronger bones, nicer hair and nailed and better skin along with healthier internal organs, such as your heart.