I need help

I have always been on the heavier side but over the last couple years i have become much more interested in exercise and health. I have a set goal in mind but I have not yet reached the point where I know how to properly reach it.

I want to weigh about 185-180 lean muscle.

So where am I at right now?
- I weigh 203lbs and I am going to the gym on a daily basis.
What is my diet like?
- I am a vegetarian ( no meat, no fish).
- i still eat eggs and other dairy products
- i eat about 2300 calories a day and i am carfully monitoring my intake. ( at least for the last couple days)

I just got into using this app so I am taking it seriously right off the bat.

I would love your input on any or all of this.

To continue:

I love weight lifting but I hate cardio. I know that I need to do cardio to lose weight. I have been making myself focus more on reps then max lately but I haven't necessarily recieved the results I want either way.

I use pre workout ( c4 ripped) and protein powder. I have also taken multivitamins for a while too.

I am sick and tired of not reaching my goals and so I will do what it takes.

I am tired of looking in the mirror and seeing someone who does not reflect the hard work I put in to myself.

HELP ME!!

Replies

• VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    edited December 2015
    You don't need to do cardio to lose weight. Just eat at a deficit.

I'd recommend getting a digital kitchen scale. Weigh all solids, measure all liquids. Set your deficit to no more than 1 pound a week, and with solid logging, you will be there in no time.
  • alamo_morrison
    alamo_morrison Posts: 3 Member
    So is it rediclous to set my goal of losing 2 lbs a week and hoping I lose at least 1 a week? I do t have a scale like that yet.
  • alamo_morrison
    alamo_morrison Posts: 3 Member
    So far if I aim for the caloric intake necessary for losing 2lbs a week I should still be losing weight relatively quickly. The whole thing where it shows me my projected weight in 5 weeks is frustrating but pushing me to improve. Of course this is Christmas time and food seems to be an important thing so eating is a big event.

You should have seen the difficulty it took to get a vegetarian option at the restaurant tonight. It was nuts.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    edited December 2015
    So is it rediclous to set my goal of losing 2 lbs a week and hoping I lose at least 1 a week? I do t have a scale like that yet.

It's probably unnecessary. I have mine set to two pounds. I'm 6'3", and currently about 236 pounds, my goal is 185. That gives me just under 1700 calories a day when I don't do cardio. I was planning to go to 1.5 pounds soon, and 1 pound when I hit 200.

If your goal is too aggressive for your size, then you run the risk of losing more muscle mass than you'd like. A moderate deficit, along with lifting, and adequate protein intake, will allow you to maintain more of your muscle mass.

A large deficit is also just harder to keep mentally, and physically. It's taxing. So this week, I've been eating at a 1 pound deficit. That way I'm not stressing out about all the cookies and fudge. I just weigh and log them. :)

Seriously, the kitchen scale I got was the best $15 I ever spent (in regard to weight loss). It's worth it. It's not necessary, but it makes the process so much easier. I went from a size 44 to a 34 without a scale, but with less to lose, it takes more precision. It also took me longer to lose that weight, since I was going purely by feel.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    It's not unreasonable to expect to lose with your goal set at 2 lbs, but it is helpful to be able to weigh and measure your portions, and that will come into play more when you get closer to your goal and your margin for error is smaller.

Reducing body fat has to do with maintaining a calorie deficit, putting on muscle has to do with what you do in the gym. Cardio is helpful in creating a calorie deficit, but with your goals, it's likely you'll want to start a progressive lifting program. I like Stronglifts 5x5 myself, and there are a number of readily available programs you can start with.

As far as being a vegetarian, are you doing it because of personal preference, or are you doing it to lose weight? I ask because it's completely not necessary to help with weight, but of course if it is just your preference, then I have no qualms with it.
  • iShineBright_27
    iShineBright_27 Posts: 29 Member
    Haha, well I'm with you on the cardio part. I also hate to do cardio but LOVE to lift weights. So maybe I might be able to help you out!

Huge rule to losing fat but maintaining a lean muscle mass, is portions! Fist size of carbs, palm size of protein, fist of veggies every meal. Once you get that down and you feel comfortable with your portion sizes, you then want to jump into counting your macros and a reverse diet. Reverse dieting will help a TON with losing body fat but maintaining lean muscle. I started at 130lbs which is pretty healthy for my height and an 18% body fat... 60 days later I'm at 126-128lbs and 15% body fat. (I can help you will reverse dieting once you get to that point)

Rules:
    -You want to be eating about 4-6 meals a day, if you can't fit a meal in due to being busy with life make sure you drink a protein shake ( Hydrolysate Protein will be a good one to drink to replace a meal).
    - Isolate Protein (purest protein and fastest digestion protein, therefore it can reach your muscles the fastest after a workout)
    - A gallon of water at least a day
    - Fish 2-3x a week or take fish oils every day, which I do!
    - Make sure you eat a protein & veggie every 3 hours to keep your body always burning fat through the day and not muscle
    - If you eat a carb, make sure there's also a protein with!
    - Lastly, the correct mix of supplements will help you enhance your results (Which I can go more indepth with you)

REMEMBER it takes 12 weeks for YOU to see results in yourself because you are always the hardest critic!

I hope this helps, and if you have any questions feel free to reach out to me on here! :)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Haha, well I'm with you on the cardio part. I also hate to do cardio but LOVE to lift weights. So maybe I might be able to help you out!

Huge rule to losing fat but maintaining a lean muscle mass, is portions! Fist size of carbs, palm size of protein, fist of veggies every meal. Once you get that down and you feel comfortable with your portion sizes, you then want to jump into counting your macros and a reverse diet. Reverse dieting will help a TON with losing body fat but maintaining lean muscle. I started at 130lbs which is pretty healthy for my height and an 18% body fat... 60 days later I'm at 126-128lbs and 15% body fat. (I can help you will reverse dieting once you get to that point)

Rules:
    -You want to be eating about 4-6 meals a day, if you can't fit a meal in due to being busy with life make sure you drink a protein shake ( Hydrolysate Protein will be a good one to drink to replace a meal).
    - Isolate Protein (purest protein and fastest digestion protein, therefore it can reach your muscles the fastest after a workout)
    - Make sure you eat a protein & veggie every 3 hours to keep your body always burning fat through the day and not muscle
    - Lastly, the correct mix of supplements will help you enhance your results (Which I can go more indepth with you)

REMEMBER it takes 12 weeks for YOU to see results in yourself because you are always the hardest critic!

I hope this helps, and if you have any questions feel free to reach out to me on here! :)

Just completely ignore this one. You have had sound advice so far.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member

Rules:

OP, ignore this post, it's all woo.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    ultrahoon wrote: »

Rules:

OP, ignore this post, it's all woo.

+1
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,893 Member

Rules:

Basic broscience that's repeated by gym rats who really haven't studied physiology or nutrition.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Rules:

Basic broscience that's repeated by gym rats who really haven't studied physiology or nutrition.

I'm guessing Beachbody "coach", especially by the thinly veiled sales pitch for supplements. The only advice even remotely worth following in that entire post is intake of fish/fish oil.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    slaite1 wrote: »

Rules:

Just completely ignore this one. You have had sound advice so far.

+2
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member

With only 20 pounds to lose, you should definitely set your weight loss goal to no more than 1 pound per week and maybe even 0.5 # / week. However, definitely invest the $15 in getting a digital food scale so you can be more accurate with how many calories you are consuming.

Cardio isn't necessary for weight loss. However, you should consider the health of your cardiovascular system. Cardio doesn't have to be performed on a treadmill, or even in a gym. I'm getting a lot of mine by fixing up an abandoned trail in the woods behind my house. This is something I enjoy - find something you like - walk, run, bike, swim, many possibilities.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    @ninerbuff is this accurate?

5 Great Benefits Of Cardiovascular Exercise!

...IMPROVED RECOVERY ABILITY

Certain types of cardio exercise, usually lower, more moderately paced forms, can decrease your recovery time too. If you have just performed a hard session in the gym, hopping on the treadmill for a walk or light jog will help to remove some of the by-products that were created during the lifting session.

This will help to reduce your DOMS (delayed onset of muscle soreness) and help bring more oxygen rich blood to the muscle tissue improving in the repair and rebuilding process. To you, this translates to your being able to get back into the gym quicker and work the muscles again.

Building muscle mass is a combination of an overloading stimulus and sufficient rest to allow the muscle to heal itself. If you skew this balance either direction, either working out too much or providing too much rest in between, you aren't going to get optimal results.

The more frequently you are able to work a muscle though (assuming full recovery has been achieved) the faster you will add additional new muscle. Cardio helps you do this. Just don't take this too far as excess cardio or cardio done at such a high intensity that it places additional strain on the muscles is going to actually hinder recovery rather than aid it.

Read more: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark85.htm