Replies

• JocelynDeshane
    JocelynDeshane Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    roblloyd89 wrote: »
    roblloyd89 wrote: »
    If you want my honest opinion, lower your carbs to 100 and up your protein significantly

Why? Even for pro and semi pro athletes there isn't real evidence for more than .8g/lb of weight protein. In termsbof performance, being above 100g carbs will help more than more protein.

Find me a source that supports this claim?

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

Any source that actually says significantly upping protein would have benefit or what would be the point of going under 100g of carbs? Based on the carbs you're recommending, if it involved replacing even just half the calories from carbs from the high or moderate carb days with protein, she'd be around 200g. Seems extra work for the liver turning it into carbs, resulting in expensive nitrogen rich urine.

So if my calorie intake right now is suppose to be 1793 for fat loss what do you think my protein percentage should be and my fat intake and carb intake??? I'm struggling to find out the correct macros to match my calorie intake
  • JocelynDeshane
    Options
    Talan79 wrote: »
    @JocelynDeshane Protein can change, doesn't need to stay the same. My high carb isn't higher than 40%.

My problem is I'm having a hard time finding the correct macros to match my calorie intake which right now my calorie intake is going to be 1793 for fat loss so idk what the percentage I should use for fat, protein and carbs

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I prefer to go by grams rather than %:
    Protein: 0.6-0.85 g per lb body weight
    Fat: 0.3-0.45g per lb body weight (I actually go quite a bit higher fat around 0.8g/lb)
    Rest carbs

I usually play around with the ratios for a week or so and see how I feel and how it affects my hunger and gym performance, everyone will have their own preference
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Fat: 0.3-0.45g per lb body weight (I actually go quite a bit higher fat around 0.8g/lb)
    Rest carbs

I usually play around with the ratios for a week or so and see how I feel and how it affects my hunger and gym performance, everyone will have their own preference

Most macro counting recommendations operate on grams / lb bodyweight, but I think the OP has the problem that MFP won't do, it locks you into percentages unless you pay for premium.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Rest carbs

Most macro counting recommendations operate on grams / lb bodyweight, but I think the OP has the problem that MFP won't do, it locks you into percentages unless you pay for premium.

Or does it....
  • JocelynDeshane
    Options
    Rest carbs

Or does it....

It does lol
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Rest carbs

This exactly.

If you are using chrome, you can add an extension that will allow you to set macros by gram. http://foodfastfit.com/
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Rest carbs

Or does it....

Well mentally I ignore percentages as I know my protein and fat goals and can ignore red light if no one will give me a ticket for doing so. I'd still prefer they let me set goals in grams without paying a special monthly fee, or using tools specific to a browser.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Rest carbs

Or does it....

Well mentally I ignore percentages as I know my protein and fat goals and can ignore red light if no one will give me a ticket for doing so. I'd still prefer they let me set goals in grams without paying a special monthly fee, or using tools specific to a browser.

Sure, browser is much easier than paying though
  • vinnyluu
    vinnyluu Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I personally use 50% carbs/30 % protein/20 % fat. I've found that if I keep my carbs as high as possible, it makes me feel more satiated, helps my mood, and helps me mentally. But as everyone has said, its all about trial and error.

I usually aim for at least 0.8g to 1 g of protein x body weight. A lot of people suggest 1 - 1.5 g x body weight, but some find it a little difficult to get that amount of protein in daily without protein shakes.