I'VE OVERATE FOR THE PAST 6 DAYS?!

Options
I've loss 17 lbs and have been keeping to a diet of about 800 calories per day. Last Friday however, I totally binged. I ate more cookies and brownies than I can count. I didn't bother to log my calories because I knew I ate well beyond 800 calories. Come Saturday morning I was willing to forgive myself and move on. Unfortunately, that Saturday was also my cousin's wedding. It turned out to be another night of poor dieting choices. Sunday was a weird day and I found myself binging once more and not logging calories. Monday was actually okay in terms of dieting, I ate 1,100 calories which is a little above my normal intake, but I was okay with that. Tuesday was also going well until the evening. I had ate about 900 calories that day when I started craving cereal. Usually I can saying no to cravings, but on Tuesday I found myself giving in and eating about 5 bowls of cereal. By Wednesday I was pretty disgusted with myself. Upon looking in the mirror it had become obvious that I had gained weight. I avoided the scale because I thought it would dishearten me (I still haven't been on the scale) but I feel like I've gained all 17 lbs back. I think this is the reason that I found myself overeating once again Wednesday night. I was at a friend's house and I ate a chocolate chip scone smeared with Nutella, plus a few spoonfuls of just plain Nutella. I couldn't control myself.

Today was Christmas Eve. The morning and afternoon were going okay in terms of dieting, but then Christmas dinner rolled around. My actual Christmas dinner was pretty healthy; turkey, green beans and corn. But then for desert I ended up eating five or six rolls of cornbread, plus a slice of pie. I've eaten about 2,000 calories today which I know is not enough by itself to gain a pound, but when you add all the past days of poor eating, it seems that my deit is completely ruined.

I'm not sure if I decided to go wild because it was the holidays or I've loss all self control but I know I'm gaining the weight I've worked incredibly hard to loose. How do I get back on track? I've been telling myself I would since last Friday, and yet the poor eating choices continue. What should I do?!

Replies

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    That's the problem with eating 800 calories. Try eating a healthy amount of calories based on your height and weight with a modest deficit for more gradual weight loss.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Yep. Your goal of 800 calories/day is unrealistic.
  • Vodka97
    Vodka97 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd say 800 is a little under. Maybe up your day-to-day intake, and remember that this is just a blip, and you most certainly have NOT put on all the weight <3
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    I stopped reading after the first sentence: /
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I also lost 20# in a couple of months to get to my goal weight. Once there, I started eating more, and ate, and ate. I had been at about 800 calories and it just isn't enough. This time around I'm at 1200 calories and lose 3# a month. I've had a few slips and only list a pound this month, but at this time of year, with all the candy and sweets and parties, I'll take that. I'm 5'2".

My advice is to get on the scale in the morning and record that weight. Go to MFP goals and put in 1200 calories and take that weight loss. Even if it's slower, if you keep it off for the rest of your life, what do a few extra months mean? Nothing.

For many losing is hard, but maintaining is much harder. Start reading the Maintaining boards to see what it's like when you don't get that happy boost of another pound lost. It's pretty much day in and day out the same and keeping motivated for that is hard. It takes a commitment to a lifestyle change, not "dieting".
  • bigsicklittlesick
    bigsicklittlesick Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    800 calories a day is not enough. No wonder you are binging! Stop. Breathe. Tomorrow is a new day. If nothing else, follow MFP guidelines for calorie intake, eat back you exercise calories, and be real. Forget about Christmas binging. Get on track with a healthy diet and sensible caloric intake.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I have the same behaviour at 1200 cal, which is low for me. Once I started eating an appropriate ammount of food for my hight and weight I quit with the binging. Well, it is far easier to control at least!! I have been working on weiht loss for 7 years. The last 14lbs have come off so much easier since I am out of the binge restrict cycle and eating for fuel! Try it! Type in you stats, set to lose 1lb/week, and get in a good workout 5days/ week. I bet you will do great!!
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    You are binging because you are otherwise starving.

What's your height and weight?
    Why are you eating so few calories?
    I'm 5'2" and eat 1200 as a baseline plus my exercise daily.

I have been loosing about 3-4 pounds a month which seems slow, but slow and steady. It's sustainable and I don feel deprived that I need to binge.

You are in an unhealthy cycle. Please try and increase your calories to something more sustainable.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I don't think you went wild over Christmas at all
    800 for the day is not enough and you are making this process unnecessarily difficult for yourself
    Up your daily target and don't deprive yourself
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    <joining the chorus> 1200 is MFP'S minimum for women for good reason. If you're a guy, the minimum is even higher, though I don't know what it is. Either way, it gives you a little slack to play with.
    Don't beat up on yourself. ☺