Just curious

Options
So I'm a former mixed martial artist, kickboxer and boxer. For my fights I always had to make a weight class. I have since retired from fighting and took about a year and a half off from training after I decided to stop fighting. Now I have been back at lifting and cardio for 5 weeks and started off being concerned with the scale, however after realizing I don't need to make a specific weight I have since stopped caring about the scale as much and am focused more of body fat % and the way I see myself in the mirror. Anyone else using visual reference over scale for what they consider success for themselves?

Replies

• ongoingwhy
    ongoingwhy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well, if using old clothings as a reference is considered to be visual reference, then yeah. Otherwise, not really, no.
  • FluffyAndFestive
    FluffyAndFestive Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yeah that could be considered good reference. I have only lost 6 pounds total in the last 5 weeks but went from the 2nd or 3rd last notches on my belt to the 6th, so def lost in my waist. And my jeans that were tight are actually to big. But my reason for asking is because sometimes our mind doesn't perceive what our eyes show us exactly right. I have seen side by side pictures of myself and I don't see much change even though obviously there is one. So just curious who if anyone is using the visual (or clothes) as a reference as opposed to the scale. I'm still fighting the urge to weigh almost daily. Old habits are tough to break sometimes.
  • ongoingwhy
    ongoingwhy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Do the photos show front, side and top? It sounds strange that you couldn't notice much differences in the photos.

What's wrong with weighing everyday? Once the scales that I ordered arrives, I'll be doing it every morning.
  • FluffyAndFestive
    Options
    It shows front and side from the waist up. Everyone I know that saw them says there's a huge difference. Maybe it's just not the progress I wanted to see. Who knows. There isn't anything wrong with weighing daily if you can handle the ups and downs (bad weight joke) of weighing daily. For instance the days where there is a gain or no loss or less of a loss than hoped, a person needs to be strong enough to not let that frustrate and deter them. Outside of that nothing wrong with the daily weigh in.
  • greenninjadrops100mfp
    Options
    I try to just let the clothes do the talking, but it's something about that stupid number. I can't help it. I weigh almost everyday. Also, you have to remember you see yourself everyday, so it's hard for you to notice the results as well. I've lost 20 pounds so far, and I can only see a slight difference. My friends and family on the the other hand see a big difference. I suppose as you lose more weight the visual reference over the scale will be easier to see and matter more.
  • FluffyAndFestive
    Options
    @greenninjadrops100mfp very well put. I think maybe you're right. I think as I get my bf% down I'll be happier as well. :) thanks for the reply.
  • greenninjadrops100mfp
    Options
    No problem! Keep at it!
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I tend to measure my fitness based on if I beat my time in a mile, do more reps, learn a new bo staff spin, or last longer during an insanity challenge than before.

I have an eating disorder and body dysmorphia, so when I'm healthy, I focus more on what my body can achieve than the scale number.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    You should use visual reference. Unless people have their weight stamped on their foreheads, nobody knows how much they weigh, which amuses me all the time when people freak out about weight fluctuation. But visual reference can usually dictate whether or not the person is fit or not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jesusarolon
    jesusarolon Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm at around 16% right now with the goal of getting down to 10%.