rest days

Options
I have been dieting (feel free to leave feedback on my diary) and going to the gym frequently. I'm slowly dropping pounds which I hope to be all body fat. my question. is about of days at the gym. on an off day should I be strictly resting? I have been using kettle bells (Turkish stand ups) for a quick "off day" workout.

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Generally, it's a good idea to give your body real rest between workouts. It gives your muscles a chance to recover and reduces chance of injury.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Rest days just rest. Maybe some light cardio.
  • 60muffin
    60muffin Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Go for a 30 minute walk to stretch yourself out. When you get back have a long soak in the bath with some nice music, or read a book. Give yourself a break once a week. Happy Christmas.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yes - rest means rest. That's the only way you build muscle!
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I do gentle yoga on off days. I find that some relaxed stretching helps my muscles recover.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It entirely depends on what your programming looks like. It's possible to train daily. It's even possible to squat every day. Just depends on how the program is set up and a bunch of individual factors/etc.

Very generally speaking though, I wouldn't train if you are not properly recovered enough to execute the training safely.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Regarding your diary, don't have too great of a calorie deficit. Eat back some of your exercise calories.
    Are you allergic to vegetables?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    It entirely depends on what your programming looks like. It's possible to train daily. It's even possible to squat every day. Just depends on how the program is set up and a bunch of individual factors/etc.

Very generally speaking though, I wouldn't train if you are not properly recovered enough to execute the training safely.

This
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

This. I normally train hard 6 days a week. My rest is is active enough chasing and playing with my girls. Currently on a very well deserved 10 day rest break (first in two years). All I'm doing is some basic body weight correctives for my lower body and shoulder prehab, especially for my rotator cuffs. Going to be chomping at the bit to get back to it and start training hard for nationals come the 2nd.
  • MFrey718
    MFrey718 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Regarding your diary, don't have too great of a calorie deficit. Eat back some of your exercise calories.

meaning I am not eating enough? or I don't have enough left over calories at the end of my day. I juice vegetables in the morning however don't log them most of the time because it's very early in the morning.

• dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    MFrey718 wrote: »
    Cherimoose wrote: »

meaning I am not eating enough? or I don't have enough left over calories at the end of my day. I juice vegetables in the morning however don't log them most of the time because it's very early in the morning.

Unless you have 50-100 lbs to lose your deficits are too large. You risk losing lean muscle mass. Lower your deficit by eating more of your exercise calories.