Any Intermittent Fasters?

I got back on MFP because I want to take advantage of my break to get back on the Warrior Diet (no food for 20hrs, then a 4 hour food window). I of course am using MFP to insure in my food window I do not over consume. Any other people using MFP while doing IF? How's it going?

Replies

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    I've been playing around with a few different types of fasting, IF included. The weight loss overall has been really great, although I'm not logging weight changes until after the holiday. But I like the IF because it's definitely harder to overconsume in just a few hours.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Does not teach you good eating habits that you need for life to be healthy. My 2 cents.
    Isn't it all about being healthy?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Plenty of people do this successfully. Can I suggest using MFP to ensure that you are meeting nutritional needs during that four hour window, rather than making sure you don't over consume? Just a suggestion to reframe it in a different manner.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Does not teach you good eating habits that you need for life to be healthy. My 2 cents.

What's unhealthy about intermittent fasting?

• ongoingwhy
    ongoingwhy Posts: 30 Member
    I only eat breakfast and lunch; they're 4-6 hours apart. Does this count as intermittent fasting?
  • Itreadlightly
    Itreadlightly Posts: 87 Member
    I have been doing IF for 13 days. I like the simplicity of it. I like what I have h ad about the benefits to the brain..
    Here is a link for information:http://authoritynutrition.com/intermittent-fasting-guide/
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member

I don't think you understand what it is.
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Plenty of people do this successfully. Can I suggest using MFP to ensure that you are meeting nutritional needs during that four hour window, rather than making sure you don't over consume? Just a suggestion to reframe it in a different manner.

Yeah that's why I am back here. I used to do this with paper and pen but my desk is looking like a war zone and yesterday I found a sheet from October in the washer. I still eat Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner. I just eat all that food between 3PM and 7PM.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    H4N4H wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Yeah that's why I am back here. I used to do this with paper and pen but my desk is looking like a war zone and yesterday I found a sheet from October in the washer. I still eat Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner. I just eat all that food between 3PM and 7PM.

Sounds like you have a plan then.
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    edited December 2015
    H4N4H wrote: »
    I got back on MFP because I want to take advantage of my break to get back on the Warrior Diet (no food for 20hrs, then a 4 hour food window). I of course am using MFP to insure in my food window I do not over consume. Any other people using MFP while doing IF? How's it going?

I've been IF'ing everyday for over 5 years now. 18/6 on weight training days and 20/4 on cardio days.

And it changed my life. I train fasted as well. I'll never eat or train any other way. For 'me' personally, it was far superior than anything else I've tried over the years.

Newer research is finally starting to roll in on IF'ing and just a few of the positive benefits we are finding is an increase in the cellular activity of autophagy, (bodies natural repair/recycle mechanism of damaged/broken/dead cells) improved fat oxidation, improved insulin sensitivity, improved mitochondrial density and biogenesis, higher levels of human growth hormone and the life extension benefits of calorie restriction without the restricted calories. (longevity benefits largely due to the autophagy mechanism being kicked into overdrive while in the fasting window) Also for some (not all) better control over their eating habits.

All tho it definitely is not for everyone. Which is fine. In the end, the best eating regimen is the one you can stick to. You can find just as much success in your health & fitness goals with or without IF'ing. :)
  • Mocking0jay
    Mocking0jay Posts: 24 Member
    I've done 5:2 and other restrictions before and have seen several articles on the benefits of fasting as well.
    My highest weight loss came with these types of restrictions and it was easier that way for me, as well as keeping no food in the house.
    I'm a notorious binger, but lost 65 lbs a lot, in part, by fasting. I've gained over half back and am on my way back down again.
    Anyway, I'm interested in this. Do you do it for a few days out of the week or every day?
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    edited December 2015
    Anyway, I'm interested in this. Do you do it for a few days out of the week or every day?

I do it daily. Mainly due to hormonal entrainment, your body will adapt to it over time. Basically your body adapts to fasting everyday and it becomes a lot easier to follow and will no longer 'expect' food first thing in the morning. (which is really along the lines of how our ancestors ate, before the invention of modern agriculture and refrigeration)

I used to be a massive binge eater myself, but now, I never even think about food. Sometimes I have to set a timer to remind myself when to eat, because of how much energy I have and I'm always off doing something productive during my fasting window.

Really was a life/game changer for me. I also got the GF to start IF'ing as well. It was definitely rough for her the first two weeks, but now after 6 weeks of doing it, she is never going back.
  • Itreadlightly
    Itreadlightly Posts: 87 Member
    ongoingwhy wrote: »
    I only eat breakfast and lunch; they're 4-6 hours apart. Does this count as intermittent fasting?
    From what I read: the first 4-6 hours are called fed- the nex