Fit Bit for Christmas?

Options
I got it! Now what do I do? I am interested in who else got a fit bit for Christmas or recently and how you are using it. What is most useful to you. How can i get the most use out of it. What I need to know.

As you can see I don't know hardly anything about it but I think I will like it. I exercise every day and do different types of exercising; weights, running, walking, yoga...

Help me please...

Replies

• FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I got one. Hrm is not accurate. It's a gizmo.. steps are not accurate. Stairs are however... the sleep thing to st seemed cool. I would not stake any claim to it. Going today to buy chest strap HRM.
  • nutmeg2576
    nutmeg2576 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I got the Charge HR. So far, I like it. HR monitor on mine seems to be accurate, the sleep study was interesting. Im curious about the calorie goals though, because I linked my Fitbit to MFP, and MFP says I was under my calorie goal yesterday, but Fitbit says I was over. Not sure how to make that jive. I only wish it had a feature to deliver a small shock every time I reach for pizza, chips, or brownies.
  • Sherryisgettingfit
    Options
    I got a Flex, and so far I am loving it. I am confused about the calories between it and mfp as well. LOL @nutmeg2576 I need mine to do that, too!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Be clear on what you are using it for

1) fitbit is a great pedometer to estimate your daily steps and adjust your activity level..it's clever it learns over time and gets more accurate, make sure you set it up properly to stride length, age,weight, time zone

2) an HRM is a interesting guideline for how many calories you burn during steady state cardio at a decent intensity level eg running, cycling, rowing

3) a 24 hr wearable HRM is a great tool if you have a heart defect and need to monitor your hr 24/7

The rest of it I am unconvinced by

Why do you need to track sleep
    What is the point do monitoring your HR all day ..if you're hot or anxious it will increase but this does not convert to additional calories burned, if you're taking yoga or lifting weights there is no direct conversion to calories burned

If weight is your goal use it as an estimator and adjust based on your weight across 6-8 weeks

I love my fitbit but the key thing is estimating your food intake appropriately (digital scales to weigh) and using the data wisely
  • mrsmac7051
    mrsmac7051 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    nutmeg2576 wrote: »
    I got the Charge HR. So far, I like it. HR monitor on mine seems to be accurate, the sleep study was interesting. Im curious about the calorie goals though, because I linked my Fitbit to MFP, and MFP says I was under my calorie goal yesterday, but Fitbit says I was over. Not sure how to make that jive. I only wish it had a feature to deliver a small shock every time I reach for pizza, chips, or brownies.

Hey do you have the goals for each set the same. Like goal to lose 1 pound per week
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    3) a 24 hr wearable HRM is a great tool if you have a heart defect and need to monitor your hr 24/7

fwiw if one really needs to be measuring HR 24/7 as part of a treatment regime then I'd hope that the clinician requiring it would expect a clinical grade device, rather than low end consumer grade.
  • mrsmac7051
    mrsmac7051 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

1) fitbit is a great pedometer to estimate your daily steps and adjust your activity level..it's clever it learns over time and gets more accurate, make sure you set it up properly to stride length, age,weight, time zone

2) an HRM is a interesting guideline for how many calories you burn during steady state cardio at a decent intensity level eg running, cycling, rowing

What is the point do monitoring your HR all day ..if you're hot or anxious it will increase but this does not convert to additional calories burned, if you're taking yoga or lifting weights there is no direct conversion to calories burned

If weight is your goal use it as an estimator and adjust based on your weight across 6-8 weeks

I love my fitbit but the key thing is estimating your food intake appropriately (digital scales to weigh) and using the data wisely

Hi. My job is (kinda) very physical so I do like to get credit for being active on the days I Wk 10 hours so I enjoy the all day hr monitoring and on the days that I don't work it does engourage me to get up and do something more active than just my regular 3 mile Wk out. So it dies benefit me
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Yahoo!! I got one too!! I spent yesterday just messing with it and setting it up. Today I mean business with it :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    mrsmac7051 wrote: »

Hi. My job is (kinda) very physical so I do like to get credit for being active on the days I Wk 10 hours so I enjoy the all day hr monitoring and on the days that I don't work it does engourage me to get up and do something more active than just my regular 3 mile Wk out. So it dies benefit me

Yes that's the pedometer function ...
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    How do I set stride???
  • tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    How do I set stride???
    Got my HR 2 weeks ago .It takes some time to build a memory of your actions and activities eventually it will be pretty accurate on all things mention ed above par with MFP. Remember log food on MFP not fit bit will put you I ver on calories. Perfect for day to day fitness. If you are a hard core triathlon athletes there are better choice. Fit bit hr work well for day TO day maintenance achievement.
  • ekruska802
    ekruska802 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I got one too! Somehow said I was 700 calories under yesterday. Today it's not syncing my steps at all, and it counted my horse riding as my own steps (went from 2000 to 8000 after I hopped off the pony). I assume it takes some time to get used to, so I'll keep noodling with it.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Many thanks for your posts, santa brought me my first fit bit too and I'm still in the midsts of setting it up/figuring it out :D
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

For the sleep, it was helpful to see if I was overdoing exercise or if something else was happening. Not the specific hours but the change from the norm.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ekruska802 wrote: »
    and it counted my horse riding as my own steps

They measure vibration and assume that it relates to steps, hence being very dependent on the type of exercise one does.
  • ekruska802
    ekruska802 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

They measure vibration and assume that it relates to steps, hence being very dependent on the type of exercise one does.

This is helpful! Thanks!
  • tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

This is helpful! Thanks!
    You will understand. All the features. First it has to have Data to
    Estimated. Two weeks wearing. You will be able to understand. Better, As far as the heart monitoring. If you do hard core cardio you con track rate. When. Running, Also open app and look at rates after run, I find it interesting. To see rate drop the more in shape you become,
  • dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your posts. I have my fit bit up and going. I ran 5 miles yesterday and the heart rate piece as I am running, lifting, and grocery shopping are all interesting. I still don't know what I am looking for however. I have the surge, i think. I am still trying to see exactly what I will use it for.
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    I just got a fitbit hr. Also today bought myself a h7 polar strap. Huge diff in heart rate. Max hr on fitbit 155. Max on h7. 184. I was running on treadmill. During this time. Also as I got sweaty fitbit showed blank fpr heart rate

Calories were 300 less on fitbit. During my 80 minute gym session