Kettlebells..? Am I just too old school..?

Options

Replies

• tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    i love kettlebell workouts. that and walking are my only forms of formal exercise. second the recommendation for the lauren brooks dvds. also, the book 'the swing' by tracy reifkind.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    mjwandssw wrote: »
    You probably don't need to have kettle bells unless you intend to do a Crossfit type exercise workout. If you do, if used properly, they can provide a great workout.

No....just no...There are soooo much more to kettlebells than crossfit....
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    mjwandssw wrote: »
    You probably don't need to have kettle bells unless you intend to do a Crossfit type exercise workout. If you do, if used properly, they can provide a great workout.
    I have to disagree. I do kettlercise, it's a series of Kettlebell workouts developed by a UK trainer, not cross fit at all; I also add Kettlebell moves into my tabata workouts. I'm older & have shoulder issues so I limit the overhead moves, but I find Kettlebell workout gets my heart rate up, helps with strength & flexibility, plus results are relatively fast. My hubby pre-ordered me the newest kettlercise DVDs fit Christmas & I'm really excited to get them, but the classes are great too. I do agree it's important to learn the correct form for using kettlebells so you get the best results & don't injure yourself.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the type of workouts you're planning on doing. Kettlebells are good for workouts with high volume. Tabatas, HIIT routines are great for these as tools since you're mixing in exercise to increase your heart rate and then switching to resistance on the low end heart rate and back and forth. You wouldn't use kettlebells strictly for a major lifting routine though as they are limited to the types of exercises you can do with them comfortably (i.e. chest presses where DB/BB works better especially if you're lifting heavy). Kettlebells are a good tool, just like DB's, barbells and weight plates, each has their uses. I don't do kettlebells because I like to keep my cardio and weights separate, but that's just my way of training. To each their own.
  • magicsd
    magicsd Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am 55 years old, just got my kettlebells for Christmas! I love working out with them, but i did have to google many exercises to get the proper form. i am hoping it helps me lose the weight!
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Aldi's has a three set kettlebells for $19.99
  • MSH2930
    MSH2930 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I got a set/kit from Kathy Smith as my Christmas present to myself, they ran around $23.00 at Wally World (yes I prefer not to shop there, but..) and it includes a 3 lb kettlebell, a 5 lb kettlebell a DVD and wall chart. So far, so good, I am enjoying it!! I think this is a great way to get broken into kettlebells, especially being I am such a novice to working out, having 'let myself go' for years...

I will say the kettlebells seem lighter than the alleged weights, but for me, that is fine. They feel comfortable in my hands and being I have wrist problems, I am not sure I would want to go any heavier.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    You will find you will very quickly outgrow those bells. I don't know what your starting fitness level is, but for example, I'm currently two-hand swinging a 36 lb bell, and switch btw a 20 and 25 lb bell for things like snatches, deadlifts, goblet squats, cleans, etc. Stay safe and enjoy!
  • MSH2930
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    You will find you will very quickly outgrow those bells. I don't know what your starting fitness level is, but for example, I'm currently two-hand swinging a 36 lb bell, and switch btw a 20 and 25 lb bell for things like snatches, deadlifts, goblet squats, cleans, etc. Stay safe and enjoy!

I could not agree more, to stay safe and enjoy!!! I may outgrow them, I will cross that bridge when I get there. But for now, these are great for this newbie!! I still dream of the bigger and better ones, though!! ;)
  • MSH2930
    Options
    _Mistah_J wrote: »
    I've seen kettlebells up to 93kg/206lb... you'd have to be a beast to outgrow them to a point where you get nothing out of them.

Agreed!!! ;)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    MSH2930 wrote: »

I will say the kettlebells seem lighter than the alleged weights, but for me, that is fine. They feel comfortable in my hands and being I have wrist problems, I am not sure I would want to go any heavier.

Assuming you are a healthy adult woman, you are going to outgrow that 5# kb very very quickly. Or at least you should.
  • MSH2930
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    MSH2930 wrote: »

Assuming you are a healthy adult woman, you are going to outgrow that 5# kb very very quickly. Or at least you should.

Let's hope!! But even with my bad wrists, I still don't want to get too crazy with them..
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I have bad wrists - especially in winter. I wear lifting gloves with a wrist support and happily play with my 36 and 25lbs kettlebells - if your form is correct your wrists should not bend anyways and the weight is handled by your core, not your wrists....
  • MSH2930
    edited January 2016
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    I have bad wrists - especially in winter. I wear lifting gloves with a wrist support and happily play with my 36 and 25lbs kettlebells - if your form is correct your wrists should not bend anyways and the weight is handled by your core, not your wrists....

Wow, that is awesome!! And yes, I am finding the weight is handled mostly by your core, and thankfully my core is very strong!!! May I ask if you are male or female..?
  • hollynurse803
    hollynurse803 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    does anyone have any suggestions for YouTube videos or something I could download. I have a very light kettle bell (5lbs) but not sure where to start.... Thanx
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I see people at the gym doing the swing-between-the-legs thing. What's the point of a lifting movement that's mostly momentum?
    Why not do a raise, pause, and slow lowering?
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I see people at the gym doing the swing-between-the-legs thing. What's the point of a lifting movement that's mostly momentum?

Because that's not the same movement and you can't safely work with a heavy weight that way. Done correctly, a kettlebell swing is a forceful hike back between the legs and a sort of hip snap forward; momentum is only part of the action.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »

Same, and I have a 54-pounder I use for swings and deadlifts. 35 pounds is the usual recommended starting weight for women on swings. Use good form to protect your wrists and don't be afraid to pick up a weight that might seem heavy to you. If you can pick up a toddler, you can pick up a 35-pound kettlebell.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

You're using your legs, butt and core to create that momentum, and your arms are acting as a fulcrum for the weight. It also creates a great cardio effect. I agree with the others, if you're wrists are coming into play, you need to check your form.