I forgot about the kids!!

Options
I started during and eating better about 6 months ago. Well, it wasnt until 3 months so that I realized that the kids (3 and 2 yrs) should be eating better too. So now they get lots of fruits and veggies and I take the extra time to make something healthy for them.

Well, my 3 year old is stubborn. Sometimes she refuses to eat it. Like this morning, she got a cut up banana, grapes and somne yogurt for breakfast. She REFUSED to eat it. Now, I won't be making lunch for another 3 hours... That means she won't eat until then AND she skipped breakfast.. Sometimes this happens at dinner too and she will go to bed hungry.

should I just give in and give her the things she WANTS to eat or stand my ground until she realizes its this or nothing? Shes slightly over weight (no, I dont try yo diet her-- I had that done to be as a kid and it was AWFUL) and I know its because of the food I've let her eat up until a few months ago. I dont want her to have the same problems I did growing up being chubby... So I thought a good food change and more park time would help but shes just not wanting to eat the things I make :(

Replies

• kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Do you still have the foods she wants to eat in the house? If so, take them out. Maybe give her options of healthy foods to eat. Maybe she would be happier if she got to pick the flavor of yogurt, the type of fruit... 2 and 3 years olds are all about control and making their own decisions.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    My daughter is underweight so I do give her what she wants, but her options are only healthy. She can have fruits or yogurt or oatmeal or a whole wheat waffle. She is 22 months old and I even let her snack between meals, but it is always something healthy. If she eats her dinner and is still hungry i will let her have pretzels or wheat goldfish or whatever. Maybe I shouldn't let her snack all day, but I snack pretty often so I let her.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    It's great that you're feeding the kids healthy too! I usually give several colorful items on a colorful plate to get them to eat at least some of everything. If you think about it, all white food (banana, yogurt, bagel w cream chesse, etc.) on a a plate together is not so appetizing, so I try to mix it up.

For example breakfast here is often 1/2 bagel with Better 'n Peanut Butter, (tan), 1 slice watermelon (pink and green), few cut strawberries (dark red), sliced mango (yellow/orange).

Dinner: LARGE (1/2 plate) serving of steamed (bright green) broccoli, similar combo diff colored fruits (1/4 plate), and then 3-4 oz piece of grilled chicken or fish, etc.

(I like MY plates to be colorful too :) and I use smaller 8" dinner plates, 5" "cake" plates for breakfast).

best of luck, and blessings :)
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    What you make is what's to eat! End of story. It will take an adjustment period but they will figure it out. It is not going to hurt the kids one bit if they fuss and refuse to eat a meal here or there. But they will learn a life lesson in choosing healthy options and portions. Stick to it, you are doing it right!!
  • leelee243
    leelee243 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It is YOUR job to feed them and YOU control what gets offered to them. It is HER job to eat it. Continue to offer healthy choices at each meal and let her see you eating healthy too. She will slowly come around. If she goes without eating for a meal because she refuses to eat anything you offer her, it's ok. Try again for a small snack (same items offered) and again the next meal.
    Good luck!
  • DarkAngel864
    DarkAngel864 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the others have said so far. My niece was having this problem but they had some 'junky' food still in the pantry that she knew was there. So her mom locked that up in the closet and just opened the fridge and pantry to her and said, this is all there is, and you can have whatever you want that is here.

Of course then her only options were cheese, yogurt, fruit and veggies, ect.

She was picky for about a week and a half or so, but then came around and started with the healthy stuff. Now we just went to the beach and instead of eating chips or goldfish like the family, she had ranch and celery with me!
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I often keep a plate of healthy options on the table that the kids can graze on when they are hungry (bite size fruit, popcorn, nuts, etc). A lot of times, if they are old enough to get to it, it takes the pressure off to snack on the stuff sitting there when they are hungry, without mom or dad hanging over them trying to get them to eat. Maybe she will try some things she likes when she gets hungry enough and is able to make some decisions on her own.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I do not think that she should be 'punished' for not eating what you give. At that age eating certain foods is a stage. My kids pediatrician said that we were to introduce healthy choices but if they wouldn't eat it to give them something that they would eat.

To not feed her what you want her to eat, or have her go hours without eating can be detrimental to their development. Think about how you feel if you go hours without eating... it's not a good feeling. Even if it is toast, crackers, a hot dog, the most important thing is that she eats SOMETHING ...

I know she is young but maybe have her help in the process of preparing her food?

IMO, forcing her to eat your food that you pick out or nothing is cruel. Again, just my opinion.
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I agree as well. She'll eat when she's hungry, but offer healthy, colorful choices. :smile:
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    What you make is what's to eat! End of story. It will take an adjustment period but they will figure it out. It is not going to hurt the kids one bit if they fuss and refuse to eat a meal here or there. But they will learn a life lesson in choosing healthy options and portions. Stick to it, you are doing it right!!

Exactly!!! I sat at the table for hour until my plate was clean (shades of "mommy dearest", lol). My parents always said they weren't running a restaurant and even at that time food wasn't going to go to waste. Some people may say well look what happened, you ended up fat. However I have NEVER blamed my parents for my weight... as soon as I was able to start making my own choices and buy my own foods I still chose to buy crap.
  • crystal_loga
    crystal_loga Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am the mother of a 5 year old. His (as well as both my husband and I's) diet consisted of pretty much only fast food. He is thin as a rail, but I know he's not healthy. I started my MFP journey in February and we now eat out only 1-2x's a week. I started buying yogurt for myself as a snack, and I picked up a pack of the kid kind at the store. He had seen a commercial for Dannimals yogurt and got really excited when I showed him it in the store. He knows to get his yogurt, he has to eat some of his food. I don't force him to finish his plate, because I think some of my overeating came from having to "finish" when i was younger. There are some days where he doesn't eat a meal. I think that kids do that sometimes. Trust me, when she gets hungry enough and sees you are not backing down, she will eat what you fix her. If she sees you give-in and give her what she wants, she will never eat the healthy food. As hard as it is, stand your ground. You are the parent, and she will thank you later!! Maybe try mixing her fruits in a little bit of chocolate pudding or light cool whip?? Just a little to make her think its a snack more than something healthy.
  • mckval
    mckval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Oh, Momma, I know it's hard. Parenting is NOT for wimps! Stand your ground, you got some great advice I've read already. You MUST win this one. It's called a lifestyle change. All must go along for the ride.

Be strong! Perhaps battling with the kiddos also burns calories..? :)
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    I have a 'picky' eater too. (must be the age... he's 4) The only fruit he will willingly eats are bananas and the only veggie is broccoli. What works for ME, is if he can still have some of the stuff he likes but he always gets a fruit and a vegetable with each meal and he MUST eat those before he gets the thing he likes (like fish sticks, for example). They say to keep giving kids foods they refuse because it could take several tries until they actually start liking something. After a lot of melodramatic gagging, whining and negotiating :wink: , he will usually eat most or all of the fruits/veggies so that he can have what he DOES like. Disclaimer: sometimes it takes him an hour to eat dinner! Good luck!
  • katie_on_a_mission
    Options
    Stand your ground. It won't be long until she learns that if she wants to eat, she's gonna have to eat what you give her.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    When my kids were little they were picky eaters. I found the healthy things they would eat and went with those. There are lots of foods that are kid friendly. Sometimes it is the way you put them together or what you call it. We used to make a hedgehog snack which was low fat cream cheese with sliced carrots stuck in it and sprinkled with raisins.
  • mehlen
    mehlen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The terrible 2s and threatening 3s are all about control. Provide two or three choices (healthy ones) that they can choose between. Then...that's it. Eat it or not but the choices don't change. They get on board pretty quick after a short while. Getting the "junk" out of the house is also a pretty smart idea. On the other hand...with 4 of my other grandchildren here, their mother brought in marshmallow cereal. I was pround of the one grandchild I am raising. She said "No thanks. I want my unhealthy ice cream for dessert at dinner, not first thing in the day." OMG seeing my daughter's face was priceless. hehehe.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Do you still have the foods she wants to eat in the house? If so, take them out. Maybe give her options of healthy foods to eat. Maybe she would be happier if she got to pick the flavor of yogurt, the type of fruit... 2 and 3 years olds are all about control and making their own decisions.

This is what we do. Give them 2 or 3 options to choose from (what kind of fruit, flavor yogurt), and they will feel like they are in control.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    One of the things i'm trying to teach my children is to eat only when they are hungry and stop when they are full. Now when she starts complaining about hungry give her a apple. Or put her plate in the fridge for later.
  • aprolli
    aprolli Posts: 5
    Options
    Good for you!! I have three kids and they love fruits/veggies but it is something I've always made and they have had for meals. A child will not starve itself when there is food to eat--trust me, you are making the right choice! :) You should feel GOOD that you are giving them what their bodies need!!
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    When my kids were little they were picky eaters. I found the healthy things they would eat and went with those. There are lots of foods that are kid friendly. Sometimes it is the way you put them together or what you call it. We used to make a hedgehog snack which was low fat cream cheese with sliced carrots stuck in it and sprinkled with raisins.

Part of my reasoning is probably because of having to clean my plate and eat stuff I hated as a kid. I didn't want to impose that on my kids. Now as teens they eat well, healthy and a variety of foods.