Weight loss...?

Options
So a friend of mine is 270 pounds and she's 5'4 any advice for her to start losing weight need allllll the advice possible! And what workouts she should start doing for starters that won't hurt her so much

Replies

• Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Does she want to lose weight? or Is this coming from you?
    Because with all the advise in the world, she isn't going to lose weight if she doesn't want to.

That said, my advise is to take baby steps.
    Get her to sign up on here. Set her calories and concentrate on changing her diet before trying to exercise.
    Changing too much too quickly can be overwhelming and you don't need to exercise to lose weight.
    However just going for walks is a great form of exercise.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    She would get a lot of help for herself by reading the boards and doing a search here if she has questions.
  • JocelynDeshane
    JocelynDeshane Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Chezzie84 wrote: »
    Because with all the advise in the world, she isn't going to lose weight if she doesn't want to.

Get her to sign up on here. Set her calories and concentrate on changing her diet before trying to exercise.
    Changing too much too quickly can be overwhelming and you don't need to exercise to lose weight.

She wants to do it herself lmao. She just doesn't want to download this app. So I posted something for some advice for her.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Downloading the app & logging her food would be the 1st & most important step if weight loss is her goal. All the exercise in the world won't help you lose wight if you're eating more than you expend (your fitness will improve but weight loss happens in the kitchen....)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    eat less move more.

and research is what she should be doing. you cant lose the weight for her and she needs to educate herself. When i started i could barely do 10 minutes on the elliptical. a year later, it is a much different story. she will have to take baby steps.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options

Get her to sign up on here. Set her calories and concentrate on changing her diet before l

She wants to do it herself lmao. She just doesn't want to download this app. So I posted something for some advice for her.

Fair enough but remember that your friend needs to find the answers out for herself and find what works for her.
    You can not do it for her.

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Wants to do it. But doesn't want to download an app that will help her do it?

She's going to have to try a little harder than that. Anything's doable if you put in some effort consistently and stick with it for long enough.

Just downloading the app getting started would be the best thing. A journey of a 1000 miles starts with a single step....
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

She's going to have to try a little harder than that. Anything's doable if you put in some effort consistently and stick with it for long enough.

Just downloading the app getting started would be the best thing. A journey of a 1000 miles starts with a single step....
    ^^ This.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

^^ This.

Agreed!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    So a friend of mine is 270 pounds and she's 5'4 any advice for her to start losing weight need allllll the advice possible! And what workouts she should start doing for starters that won't hurt her so much

Your friend should really speak to her Dr before she starts any work outs or training. She may have medical issues that she hasn't confided to you.
    Tell her about this site and sparks people to, other than that it really is up to her to act on it.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    She doesn't need the app - she can log her meals from the website. :+1:

She actually doesn't need to log her food - she just needs to eat less of it. Walking more would probably help too.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Step 1: stop eating so many calories
    Step 2: find an exercise that burns calories and can be maintained long term
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit

But in all seriousness, this is simple stuff. Kind of hard to know what you should be eating, what you are eating, and how much you're burning if you aren't tracking it, huh? Seems like maybe she's not actually ready to lose weight.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If she wants to do it, she'll make the effort needed. Sounds like she's not ready yet.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    She should definitely add this app. Also she should start lifting asap. Maybe she could try a couch to 5k program.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    She should definitely add this app. Also she should start lifting asap. Maybe she could try a couch to 5k program.

Now, i'm not trying to be an *kitten* over here..... but... for someone with a BMI of 47 and in the morbidly obese range my advice would not be to start lifting weights and a progressive running plan.

At her current weight she is more likely to injure herself and her current size is already adding a hefty amount of stress to her joints, ligaments, and most notably her lower body.

In my opinion something low impact would be the best route for her. Something like swimming, eliptical, body weight movements, and stretching. It's imperative that a beginner work on the stabilization, strength, flexibility, etc. in a safe environment. Throwing her into something beyond her current physical capability is likely to result in injury which will then result in longer time without exercise.

Find something she can do that's fun like walking (if she doesn't have foot, ankle, knee, or hip pain), swimming, stationary biking, eliptical, or even some body weight circuit style exercises.