I forgot about the kids!!

Options

Replies

• curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    My 10 y/o is extremely picky, and won't try anything new. I was pretty hard line strict when she was a toddler, but my husband was always giving her donuts and poptarts instead. If I had to do it all over again, I would prohibit donuts and poptarts from the house. She can't have what's not in the house. I would offer her a few healthy choices, and let her pick from there. I would definitely include a large portion of veggies and some protein in every meal. And I would insist that she get enough calcium. Good luck.
  • fitforMYSELF
    Options
    Make the food fun! Kids like fun and give her a couple of choices ask her..would you like the banana or apple..and you can even create little thing..a smiley face pancake..whole wheat pancake, slice banana and strawberrys.
    They also are more likey to eat the "healthy" food if they help cooked it get her involved maybe one night of a week she can help you cook dinner..stiring something, dumping the measured stuff into another bowl. Kids want to feel like they are doing something and when its done she can say I made dinner and she is more likey to wanna eat because she "made" it!

Hope this helps!
  • arwensb
    arwensb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I do not think that she should be 'punished' for not eating what you give. At that age eating certain foods is a stage. My kids pediatrician said that we were to introduce healthy choices but if they wouldn't eat it to give them something that they would eat.

To not feed her what you want her to eat, or have her go hours without eating can be detrimental to their development. Think about how you feel if you go hours without eating... it's not a good feeling. Even if it is toast, crackers, a hot dog, the most important thing is that she eats SOMETHING ...

I know she is young but maybe have her help in the process of preparing her food?

IMO, forcing her to eat your food that you pick out or nothing is cruel. Again, just my opinion.
    I completely disagree. If the child gets hungry enough she will eat what she is presented with. In the meantime it will not hurt her and will teach her lessons in A) healthy eating and B)respecting her parents. It is never too early to teach your children that the rules are the rules.
    I am not a short order cook, if my kids don't like what is for dinner and they choose not to eat it then their consequence is that they are going to be hungry later.

I do agree with other posters about trying to give her the ability to make choices about what she is eating. Like which flavor of yogurt she wants. Or which fruit and veggie she wants to eat. Any choices that a toddler of that age can make helps them to feel like they have some control of their life.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Maybe make the fruit into a chilled smoothie for her in the mornings and give her a half wheat bagel or sandwich round with a little peanut butter for something solid.

You could make the fruit into a smiley face and see if she might be more acceptable to seeing a fun picture with food. Make a game out of eating the eyes, the nose and so on.

You could also set it up like a little buffet and get a small stray type plate and allow her to pick what fruits she wants.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    leave the fruit out and tell her to let you know when she wants her yogurt ..i think if you give it to her it kinda has to be on her timing..maybe get some plastic knives and let her cut her own banana and dip it in honey or peanutbutter..or even dip it in the yogurt..maybe put some raisins on the side that she can put into the yogurt herself ...make it fun and creative more than just you saying here eat this......celery is good too with peanut butter and she can add her own raisins on the top...if u have the old food in the house then its just a tease if she cant eat whats there ....also with water get her a cute bottle and let her choose and add her fruit slices to it
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I make "good stuff" into muffins, waffles, pancakes, breakfast "cookies" etc.

Fruit and veggies available when they want or mixed into smoothies. My oldest was underweight a long time with tonsil/adenoid issues and not being able to eat solid foods. I don't let him skip meals. They try whatever we are having, if they don't like it, the option of a plain sandwich is always there.

As for "leaving till the next meal", my oldest (the underweight one) would starve himself, literally- we're talking 1-2 days. The textures of some foods are "off" to him. There are foods I don't like too, I wouldn't want to be forced to eat anything.

Our Dr told us it tends to balance out over the week anyways :smile: Don't make food a battle, it is the one thing they can control- what goes in their mouth.
  • MightyMae1
    MightyMae1 Posts: 208
    Options
    Do you still have the foods she wants to eat in the house? If so, take them out. Maybe give her options of healthy foods to eat. Maybe she would be happier if she got to pick the flavor of yogurt, the type of fruit... 2 and 3 years olds are all about control and making their own decisions.

That's great advice. But once it's on the table and being refused, I recommend just putting it in the fridge. When she's hungry in an hour or so offer it to her again. Kids that young sometimes say, "I don't like it," when they really mean, "I don't want it right now." It will also teach your child to eat only when she's hungry, not just because it's put in front on her and that's what you're supposed to do.
  • bethalicia
    Options
    I'm having the same problem with my 3 year old. My 4 1/2 yr old has adjusted wonderfully. With the 3 year old, I have found that if I give him something new (healthy) on the same plate with something he's used to (also healthy), then he will at least try the new thing. He loves yogurt, so if we have something new/different for dinner I give him a small amount of yogurt also. For some reason the familiar food helps him to try new things.
    Also, he went through a a stage when he didn't eat anything, and his pediatrician said it was fine. She said he would eat when he gets hungry. I figure this will work the same way. I let the kids know up front that this is what they are having and if they don't eat it, they aren't going to get junky food later.
    Also, it helps to not keep the junk food in the house. My kids still ask for pop tarts every morning, even though I haven't bought them in 2 months. If they could choose, they would have pop tarts and cheetoes forevery meal. :smile:
  • monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    im veggie so my kids tend to eat everything put in front if them luckily if they dont they dont eat if a child is hungry they will eat unless they really detest it then i will make an alternative healthy food

exercise my 3yr old adores the wii she will easily do 30min jogging with me and still want to do more if they enjoy something they will do it you just need find what they like

good luck and remember alot of kids carry what we call puuppy fat that just seems to dissapear as they get older
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    My kids both went through a picky stage, but I have always had the "you have to at least try it" rule, they don't have to finish it, but they do have to try it.

Now for a 3 year old that can be trickey....maybe next time give them strawberry yogurt with banana and show them how to dip it the banana into the yogurt.

Another thing I do still, is I puree extra veggies into marinara sauce (like when we have spaghetti or lasagna). LOL That way they're getting something they REALLY like, but it has extra veggies they don't "see". I'll puree zucchini, squash, carrots, etc... I also make breakfast smoothies - last week I made a strawberry & kiwi one for my son and he LOVED it. My daughter loves banana and almond butter smoothies. She has 1/2 of one for breakfast w/ toast.

Does your toddler like oatmeal? You can make homemade oatmeal and add banana or strawberries or raisins or blueberries or some peanut butter....YUM!!! just another idea on how to incorporate fruits w/ meals....

There's lots of little ways you can get your children to eat healthier, you just gotta find little tricks. I like the idea of encouraging your toddler to help you make snacks (peanut butter & celery w/ raisins = ants on a log) - your toddler could put the raisins on the celery "logs" (as an idea).
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I do not think that she should be 'punished' for not eating what you give. At that age eating certain foods is a stage. My kids pediatrician said that we were to introduce healthy choices but if they wouldn't eat it to give them something that they would eat.

To not feed her what you want her to eat, or have her go hours without eating can be detrimental to their development. Think about how you feel if you go hours without eating... it's not a good feeling. Even if it is toast, crackers, a hot dog, the most important thing is that she eats SOMETHING ...

I know she is young but maybe have her help in the process of preparing her food?

IMO, forcing her to eat your food that you pick out or nothing is cruel. Again, just my opinion.
    I completely disagree. If the child gets hungry enough she will eat what she is presented with. In the meantime it will not hurt her and will teach her lessons in A) healthy eating and B)respecting her parents. It is never too early to teach your children that the rules are the rules.
    I am not a short order cook, if my kids don't like what is for dinner and they choose not to eat it then their consequence is that they are going to be hungry later.

I do agree with other posters about trying to give her the ability to make choices about what she is eating. Like which flavor of yogurt she wants. Or which fruit and veggie she wants to eat. Any choices that a toddler of that age can make helps them to feel like they have some control of their life.

I agree about giving choices, I am not talking about giving them cookies for meals. However, you cannot expect years of "bad" eating to diminish over night just because you say so. I also said about letting them be part of the process to make it more fun and give them the feeling of choices.

However, it is not about being all or nothing. We discussed this with our pediatrician when our kids were younger and she agreed and actually told us not to withhold food because "they disrespect us" or "won't listen to what we made".

My kids are now 8 and 5 and will pick fruit / healthy snacks over candy/cookies/chips. I just don't agree w/ them being made to go hungry because as a parent you made poor choices in their eating habits.

I respect all of your opinions, it just that I do not see what good is going to come from making kids go hungry because they don't like your food. As parents we create their eating habits, I think it's best to introduce it slowly then just suddenly take away everything that they had been given and like.
  • fireyes
    fireyes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have found out recently that when my parents started, well, parenting, my mom was a healthy eater and my dad wasn't. They decided it would be best to give us options and allow us to decide on what to eat. The thinking was that if they forced us to eat healthy, we would push it away even harder, plus I don't think my dad wanted to have to change his lifestyle. As long as we did sports to stay in shape, they didn't really bug us about our eating habits.

Anyway, we of course didn't always make the best choices because we didn't really know what the best choices were, and we slowly stopped exercising as much because of academics. A few years ago I got tired of feeling uncomfortable with my body, and decided to do some research. I basically spent months learning what to eat, learning how to prepare healthy meals and snacks, and phasing myself out of soda and onto water.

It was kind of tough because by that time pretty much everyone else in my family just ate whatever they wanted, and I was really having to fight for healthiness. (ex. I wanted skim milk, but my family had always had whole and our dad had convinced us that skim is disgusting and not even really milk. I had to show them nutrition information and research in order to get them to buy it. Now that is the only milk we buy!)

Now my family is pretty much completely turned around. We are a much healthier family, and I am so glad for that. My only regret is that we waited this long.

People develop their tastes in childhood. Even though I have come a log way, I still have those cravings for my old ways of unhealthiness. So, from a recent child's perspective, I would say enforce the health. Your kids will thank you later in life.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Please DO NOT punish this child for not wanting to eat her food. This is a stage that all toddlers go through. We as parents have to stop taking the easy way out thinking punishments is the answer. No we have to start using our learned parenting skills to out think our little mini me's. A child that age only knows what they are being punished for briefly at that age. The rule of thumb...time outs should only be for 3 minutes if they are 3 yrs old. Anything after that is not beneficial for the child.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    At 3, she is trying to assert her independance. I would maybe offer 2 healthy options and let her choose which one she wants. If she chooses neither, then she should go without. If you give in at that point, she will always try to push it. You can have fruit or cut up veggies or other easy, healthy snacks available if she gets hungry before lunch, but only healthy options. You can allow some flexiblity after she has bought in because eating "treats" is ok in moderation, but wait until she has bought in. Remember that you are setting a great example for her with your own actions and that will stay with her long after the food has been digested.

Hang in there, Mom!! You're doing a great thing for your kiddos!!:flowerforyou:
  • Tarah40
    Tarah40 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've got 4 kids ranging from 9 to 19 years old. 2 of them are picky eaters, 2 will eat anything. Over the years I've learnt that you have to start healthy eating habits as early as possible. My 19 year old is the fussiest eater, when she was small I would give in all the time and now I have no control of the rubbish she eats because although I don't buy her junk she can afford here own.

I've learnt to try not to let it turn into a battle, you'll only get frustrated and probably lose. With you daughter who is 3 you could try letting her help prepare food, she could probably cut up a banana and pour some yoghurt under supervision, I find that if the kids have made the effort to help prepare the food they get excited about trying their creation.

Another trick I use is to cut up vegetables that I know they don't like really small so they don't realise what they are eating. It's amazing what secret veg you can hide in a cottage pie if it's chopped small enough. Then when they tell me they don't like it I drop the bombshell that they've been eating it without knowing for months.
  • Tarah40
    Tarah40 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've got 4 kids ranging from 9 to 19 years old. 2 of them are picky eaters, 2 will eat anything. Over the years I've learnt that you have to start healthy eating habits as early as possible. My 19 year old is the fussiest eater, when she was small I would give in all the time and now I have no control of the rubbish she eats because although I don't buy her junk she can afford here own.

I've learnt to try not to let it turn into a battle, you'll only get frustrated and probably lose. With you daughter who is 3 you could try letting her help prepare food, she could probably cut up a banana and pour some yoghurt under supervision, I find that if the kids have made the effort to help prepare the food they get excited about trying their creation.

Another trick I use is to cut up vegetables that I know they don't like really small so they don't realise what they are eating. It's amazing what secret veg you can hide in a cottage pie if it's chopped small enough. Then when they tell me they don't like it I drop the bombshell that they've been eating it without knowing for months.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Please DO NOT punish this child for not wanting to eat her food. This is a stage that all toddlers go through. We as parents have to stop taking the easy way out thinking punishments is the answer. No we have to start using our learned parenting skills to out think our little mini me's. A child that age only knows what they are being punished for briefly at that age. The rule of thumb...time outs should only be for 3 minutes if they are 3 yrs old. Anything after that is not beneficial for the child.

That is exactly what I am saying. Our pedi said never use food (or lack there of in the case) as a reward nor punishment. My one kid ate nothing but grilled cheese sandwhiches for a week at that age. He's perfectly healthy and lean at 8.

By this logic should we punish ourselves and not eat if we eat something not healthy?
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    To transition my kids to healthy foods, I offer more nutritious versions of their favorites. For example, nitrite free all beef hotdogs, organic pop tarts with no preservatives or artificial anything, whole grain waffles/pancakes, organic chicken tenders with whole grain breading, Organic Valley cereals (looks like Fruit Loops or Cocoa Puffs). All crackers and cookies are organic and all natural. I make sure their juice has no added sugars and there is plenty of actual fruit, nuts, and cheese to snack on. It works pretty well.

My teenager pretty much refuses to eat anything that even halfway looks like it might be healthy, but I simply won't buy the worst offenders (no HFCS, no MSG, no artificial colorings, flavorings, or preservatives). Other than that, I work with her to get her fed in the healthiest way possible.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    One thought is that around the ages of 3 and 4 is when a lot of her relationship with food is formed, and it's also an age of power struggles ... it's an important stage, which is why it's often a really challenging stage as well. I would personally be wary of setting up an adversarial relationship with her around the topic of food; I wouldn't want my kids carrying that into their lives. You're not trying to win a battle and bend her to your will, you're trying to help her learn to make a lifestyle change that is different than the one she started with. That's hard enough for adults who make a conscious decision to do it and who understand why they are doing it -- for a child who is dealing with someone else enforcing changes, with no ability to really understand WHY, it just becomes about control and power. It's the adults responsibility to keep it from being about control and power. I dont' think anyone actually wants food and eating to become something that their child associates with control and power. Which doesn't mean you make her a special meal, or that you give in and give her unhealthy foods, of course! That wouldn't help her either. But forcing a child to eat what's put in front of them is not healthy in the long run; forcing a child to eat something they don't want (or punishing them if they don't) might be a battle won, but looking at the long-run, may not teach what you actually want them to learn.

Another thing besides the development of their autonomy is that kids at that age have, in general, a stronger response to bitter tasted. That's not something they're putting on or being big babies about: they actually can taste bitter better than adults. Because of that, they are more picky and more wary of new foods, and more strongly drawn to sweeter foods. It's part of the normal biology, and not a sign that something is wrong, and it's not rebellion.

I would maybe try to, at least until she's out of this phase of pickiness/balking, offer choices. If there is at least one food she will eat that is healthy, offer that, along with other healthy choices, at each meal. That way even if she won't touch the broccoli, she got some chicken and brown rice (or whatever.) This way she's getting some nutritious food, and being exposed to other foods that she doesn't like yet but may in the future. Offering lots of choices is helpful, as well. Kids in that power/control stage love choices! Have her help plan the menu for the week, have her help decide what to have for breakfast, and maybe make something that has choices built in. Does she want strawberries, or blueberries, or both? Also, they often love being involved with meal preparation, and they feel a lot more open to eating foods they feel an ownership of; if she helps you dip out the yogurt, she might be more likely to want to at least give it a try. (And someone else mentioned this I believe, but it takes about a dozen tastes before a child feels comfortable with an unfamiliar food.) At every meal, I make sure that there is at least one item that each person is sure to enjoy, and we encourage them to try the other foods, even if they can only take one bite. Throwing out some "rules" for meal-specific foods can be helpful too - sometimes offering an orange as part of dinner is okay. It's more important that they get what they need and that they enjoy meals than it is that dinner look like what dinner is supposed to look like. I've also tried to modify favorite recipes to make them more nutritious - I switched to baking with whole wheat flour and less sugar, more added fruits and nuts, for instance. I made the transition gradually - first I used half white flour, half ww... once they were used to that I increased the amount of ww flour. It helps to make big changes in small steps, instead of one big overhaul.

In the case of refusing breakfast, I'd accept the refusal (not as a punishment, but because everyone has the right to say "I dont' want to eat that" and "I'm not hungry right now" ) and then I'd make a mid-morning snack of some kind. We generally have three snacks a day here, so it's never too long from one meal to the next. It keeps the blood sugar level, keeps anyone from getting to hungry, and makes a child skipping a meal not that big a deal.

And don't underestimate the power of the example you're setting by eating healthfully in front of your children. You're doing awesome there! That goes so much farther with them than anything else. If you eat nutritious foods, and enjoy the food and enjoy the health, and let that joy show, then your kids will pick up on that and eventually, it will color their choices as well. If they see you choke your food down because you hate it, if they hear you complain about your diet and how much you wish you were eating Krispy Kremes, then they'll pick up on that. What they're forced to eat or not is secondary to those messages. I try to be really mindful of how I talk about food, and the changes we're making. The other day I was drinking a glass of water and my 3 year old said, "But Mommy, you HATE water!" and I realized that that was the message I had sent him in the past, without meaning to. I told him that now I love water, it's so refreshing and so good for my body, and I feel so good when I drink it. I know there are probably a hundred messages I've sent them all about food, and I'll need to be aware of that if I want to give them the messages I actually would like them to internalize.

My goal with my children is to have them be open to new foods, have a taste for whole, nutritious foods, be able to sometimes enjoy foods that are not nutritious without having that rule their diets, and to be able to eat to a healthy satisfaction - not compulsively eat too much, or compulsively deny themselves food. So each meal, if there were issues, I'd refer to those goals. Each parent has to determine their own long-term goals for their children in each area, including food, and make choices that support those goals. Your goals may not be the same as mine, so YMMV. :-)
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    *double post* Sorry!