Maybe I'm doing it wrong...

Options
So I started out trying to eat less and workout more, thinking this would help lose weight faster. I was not losing any weight at all :( then I said screw it, I'm working my butt off for nothing and started eating a little more. Now I've lost almost 10lbs and I have no clue how that happened?? I am so confused...I'm not sure if I'm suppose to eat what my calorie goal is or am I suppose to stay under it? Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated:)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How long did you 'eat less and workout more' for ?
  • pettit62213
    pettit62213 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Almost 3 weeks and didn't lose anything
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    And then you lost 10 lbs anyway?
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    How do you have your info set up on the app? How much are you trying to lose?
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

There could be a ton of reasons why you didn't lose any weight in 3 weeks. That said, I didn't start to lose until the 3rd week. With weight loss you're going to need a lot of patience, consistency, realistic expectations. Most people don't start losing right away. You might want to read some of the getting started stickies in this forum to educate yourself on how to lose weight in a healthy sustainable way.
  • margaret_bodine
    margaret_bodine Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a dietician. She reviewed my lab tests, goals, 3 day food diary and then set my parameters for my fitness pal food tracker to what my goals are for each area (protein, fat, carbohydrates, sugar). This has helped me adjust portions and food choices. Have lost 6 pounds in 3 weeks and am not hungry.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

There could be a ton of reasons why you didn't lose any weight in 3 weeks. That said, I didn't start to lose until the 3rd week. With weight loss you're going to need a lot of patience, consistency, realistic expectations. Most people don't start losing right away. You might want to read some of the getting started stickies in this forum to educate yourself on how to lose weight in a healthy sustainable way.

Good point. When I first started I actually gained weight. It took my body some time for it to catch on to what I was doing, but when it did...boy...look out below.
  • pettit62213
    pettit62213 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I lost 10lbs once I started eating more. It was within a week and a half
  • TavistockToad
    Options

So in a month you lost 10 lbs.

Weight fluctuates, eat in a deficit and you'll be fine
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Weight loss isn't linear, 4-6 weeks the lowest kind of time frame you can judge stuff on. Keep eating in a deficit, that's what's doing the work.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP are you weighing your food with a food scale? What do you have your goals set at? What calorie level? Are you eating back some of your exercise cals?

I agree with others that weight loss is not linear and 10 lbs in 4-6 weeks sounds totally reasonable. Keep working with your dietician and keep reasonable expectations and it sounds like you are on the right track.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    "Move more, eat less" is a good philosophy. Just be careful as to how much more hour moving vs. how much less you're eating. My husband was doing P90X and was burning loads of calories, and was hungry all the time. Consequently, when he got down to the weight he wanted to be, he didn't look as healthy as he might have otherwise looked. Some people thought he looked gaunt. Then when he did it the 2nd time, he actually got an activity monitor and realized how much he was burning vs. how much (little) he was eating - and realized that he had enough room (calories) to have a snack or two so that he didn't have to be hungry and looked a lot healthier.

Pay attention to the numbers - and make sure you're going about things the best way possible.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It might have been the water weight from the 'moving more'. 3 weeks is about when a lot of people's lets up. A lot of times the most recent change is coincidental to the weight drop that follows it. My last drop came after eating a very rich quiche Lorraine, lol! My lowered calories the week before I ate that did it, not the quiche, I'm pretty sure ;)
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Have lost 6 pounds in 3 weeks and am not hungry.

Sounds like you are doing it right to me.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Give the scale time to catch up with what you're doing, which by the looks is exactly what happened :+1: I sometimes really hate that scale! Often times it's not a true reflection of what is actually happening.