Hitting My Cal. Goal

Options
So I've been eating a bunch of salads lately, which (the way I make them) are pretty low calorie. [100-300 cal. for a large one]. Because of this, I am not hitting my 1200 calorie per day goal. I normally have about 300 calories left plus an extra 250 or so that I burn exercising. Advice on what I should do to help reach my goal, or should I just keep going as I am?

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Eat something besides salad so you reach minimal nutritional needs
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You could always add something like sliced almonds into your salads. I usually do that. Sometimes I'll crumble up a strip of low-sodium bacon and put that on top.
  • laceyjjj
    laceyjjj Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry you may not need to eat more. I tend to not count my exercise calories because I'm never sure how much I really burned and no matter how much exercise I do, I don't seem to lose weight unless I cut my calories. You may want to save those calories for a weekend cheat meal or a night out with friends. That's what I usually do. Just my two cents :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    What are you adding to salads? Are you weighing everything you put in your salads?
  • im_simply_karen
    im_simply_karen Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    What are you adding to salads? Are you weighing everything you put in your salads?

Normally I just do lettuce, banana peppers, raw onion, pickles, and thinly sliced carrots. Yes I weigh everything.
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Normally I just do lettuce, banana peppers, raw onion, pickles, and thinly sliced carrots. Yes I weigh everything.

Are you getting any protein?
  • im_simply_karen
    Options
    Kyrenora wrote: »

Are you getting any protein?

Oh yea. Completely forgot to add that. I put a small amount of grilled chicken on them normally. Then I get the rest of my protein from other sources outside of my salad.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Two ounces of chicken breast is 92 calories. How much chicken are you adding? To up your calories, add more chicken and/or add nuts, cheese, olive oil, or other calorie dense food.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Cheese is great in salads, too. Or a piece of sourdough bread with it! (I don't get to do that one because of my blood sugar, darnit ;) ).

You really are eating too few calories, and that won't go well as time goes on.

What are your stats? 1200 itself is usually for the really petite or older among us (or for the obese who need to lose really quickly for health risk reasons).
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

No protein or dressing? I'd be hungry within an hour, that's not a meal but a side salad.

• KikiBerry
    KikiBerry Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Honestly, If you're not hungry then don't eat.

I think you may be adding more chicken to your salad than you realize, keeping you fuller longer. It's very easy to underestimate
  • im_simply_karen
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Two ounces of chicken breast is 92 calories. How much chicken are you adding? To up your calories, add more chicken and/or add nuts, cheese, olive oil, or other calorie dense food.

KikiBerry wrote: »

I think you may be adding more chicken to your salad than you realize, keeping you fuller longer. It's very easy to underestimate

Normally I add 1-2 ounces. Because I weigh everything, I know that I am not underestimating.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Add more chicken....I try to do 3oz in my salads, and maybe add some cheese, and use a dressing (low fat or full fat...not fat free).

My salads are around 300 calories and I also will have a string cheese or some hummus and crackers or a yogurt along with my salad so my meal is more like 450 to 500 calories.

You could also have a small serving of nuts...they are pretty caloire dense and contain healthy fats.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this? Are you hungry eating that few calories? Why are you restricting yourself to just salads? There are so many yummy foods in the world and you can eat anything within your calorie goals and still lose weight, although focusing on nutrient dense, filling foods is very important. Are you exercising? If so you should be eating back a portion of exercise calories.

You've gotten advice about things to add to your salads but I would suggest just more variety of foods. Add a bowl of soup or half a sandwich. Eat steamed frozen veggies and chicken over rice instead of salad for one of the meals. Throw in a serving of ice cream once in a while for good measure...
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    1200 cals is a minimum suggested for a reason. Going under by 1/4 recommended (more with exercise) is not a good long term plan.
    There are lots of little things you can do to up the calories in your go-to salad, or grab one extra small meal or protein shake/bar.
    Its awesome that your appetite allows you to eat less than most people are happy with, but it really is best to eat as close to the recommended guidelines.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So I've been eating a bunch of salads lately, which (the way I make them) are pretty low calorie. [100-300 cal. for a large one]. Because of this, I am not hitting my 1200 calorie per day goal. I normally have about 300 calories left plus an extra 250 or so that I burn exercising. Advice on what I should do to help reach my goal, or should I just keep going as I am?

Eat more, and ideally a more diverse/nutritionally-complete diet. People can convince themselves to feel satisfied on most anything for a period of time, especially if just getting started and really motivated, but goals like lowest possible calories, lowest possible fat, salads only really aren't healthy.

Here's a good source for nutrition, if that's a concern -- among other things I'd get more healthy fats, more protein (1-2 oz of chicken isn't much), whole grains/legumes, and a much broader selection of vegetables, and fruit if you like it. It really should not be hard to get 1200-1450 calories. http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Green salads are great for MICROnutrients. But your body needs more than vitamins & fiber. Vitamins & fiber don't help your body support existing lean muscle.

Protein and fat are important MACROnutrients. Add some grilled chicken, chopped egg, cheese, nuts, or avocado to your salad.

Don't be afraid of calorie dense foods. You can eat them (should eat them) you just need to measure them accurately.

Hunger is not an accurate indicator of well rounded nutrition.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    KikiBerry wrote: »

Normally I add 1-2 ounces. Because I weigh everything, I know that I am not underestimating.

1-2 ounces of chicken is not a full serving. Add more chicken, and/or avocado, nuts, cheese, olive oil, or other calorie dense food.