allergy issue = can't find protein bars

Options
squishprincess
squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
edited December 2015 in Food and Nutrition
i've been trying to find protein bars/meal bars to supplement with as snacks or a meal and it's proving more difficult than i thought. after visiting a few stores i was discouraged to see that nearly all of the protein bars contained almonds or almond ingredients. and i'm allergic (not deathly.. i don't think? but i am allergic) so i have to avoid almonds. but nearly all of the bars i looked at i couldn't eat. another slightly less important issue is finding a bar without dairy ingredients. not allergic to dairy but it does upset my stomach often so i want to avoid it.. so this is kind of an issue.

have any of you found any good brands of nut free (mostly just almond free, other nuts are fine) /dairy free meal or protein bars that taste ok? do you order them online? i'm thinking online is where i might have to look..

also the reason for wanting protein/meal bars is that a lot of the time my appetite is very low & nearly everything sounds unappealing or i simply don't feel like eating. i suffer from a few mental illnesses (depression/anxiety mainly) which affect my appetite which is one of the main reasons for wanting the bars on days where i struggle to get enough cals/protein in and think it would be a convenient way to get the job done without feeling too nauseous from a heavy meal.

TLDR; i need almond free (or completely nut free) protein bars. dairy free is a plus as well. i hate that this sounds so picky lol. Thanks!

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Honestly your best bet would be some type of animal jerky or a no cow bar or certain Lenny and Larry cookies!(: Google probably has plenty of options if you look it up(:
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm too lazy to go look for you but look into Quest protein bars. Can be found at GNC and likely other specialty stores.
  • squishprincess
    Options
    Honestly your best bet would be some type of animal jerky or a no cow bar or certain Lenny and Larry cookies!(: Google probably has plenty of options if you look it up(:

i don't eat red meat, does turkey/chicken jerky have the same amount of protein? also i never thought about protein cookies and that has just given me the idea to also look into some protein cookie/bars i could make at home perhaps (my lazy self didn't think of this until just now haha). thank you
  • squishprincess
    Options
    I'm too lazy to go look for you but look into Quest protein bars. Can be found at GNC and likely other specialty stores.

haha i know i didn't mean for anybody to do my research for me, it was a shot in the dark to see if anybody else with nut allergies had found a bar that worked for them. but i think i do remember looking into quest bars and each of them contained almonds unfortunately! i've been trying to look online but the ones i find without most nuts lack protein (naturally..)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have a protein bar shelf instead of a treat shelf in my pantry. Of the 6 varieties of bars I have in stock at the moment I can't see almonds mentioned in these ones listed below. There is some dairy so check the ingredients on line.

Smart for Life.
    Premier Protein
    The Simply Bar
    Detour Simple
    And some flavours of Cliff Builder's are almond free.

Only 1 of the six had almonds in all flavours. ( didn't list it -Pure Protein)
    A few have peanuts.
    I think all contain some dairy. Usually whey protein or skim milk.

They were all bought at Costco, but are probably available in any store or on line.

Cheers, h.
    Edited for silly auto corrects.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    As another alternative could you make a smoothie with protein powder - my husband doesn't have the biggest appetite, or a lot of time to eat a proper meal, but can quite easily drink a smoothie to get more cals in.... You can make them to fit whatever macro requirements you need!
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    A Google search of "nut free protein bar" gave many results.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Simply Whey and Simply Protein bars are dairy and nut free.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Do you have the time to try making your own? You can truly control the ingredients that way. Do a search on google or search Pinterest for recipes. Good luck!
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You can design your own at

http://www.youbars.com/

A friend of mine who has severe allergies gets them from there and is very happy with them.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    How about just a favourite candy chocolate bar? The macros are often pretty similar?

I like to carry along cheese, peanuts, a hard boiled egg, or a coffee with protein powder and cream. Protein bars are too pricey for me. One a day would be around a $900 per year... That's a short vacation for me. LOL
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    If you are willing to make your own, I have found these to be rather tasty compared to store bought brands:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/protein-bars-recipe.html
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Instead of protein bars that don't work very well for me (kind of like candy bars, and can set me off) -- I make protein crepes which I love. I make about 8 at a time and keep in fridge, and take out and eat as a snack or with tea. Here is recipe: 4 scoops protein powder (I like UMP vanilla, which is lovely and sweeted with stevia); 1 cup oatmeal; 2 cups egg whites, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, and enough water to make like a pancake batter. I cook on a griddle like a pancake. I like to put a little (1 teaspoon or so) cashew butter on mine -- but if you are allergic to nuts then eat plain (this is how my husband likes them. They are really portable (I wrap in tin foil and keep in my purse) and are great for trips and travel.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Sorry -- I meant 2 scoops protein powder so here is amended receipe: 2 scoops protein powder (I like UMP vanilla, which is lovely and sweeted with stevia); 1 cup oatmeal quick oats ; 2 cups egg whites, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, and enough water to make like a pancake batter. I cook on a griddle like a pancake. PS really great before or after exercise.
  • squishprincess
    Options
    These are all great suggestions, thanks so much! and I think I am up to trying to make my own. I already do drink smoothies sometimes with protein powder, but I like having something dry & ready for on the go when I'm out and about.

Also that youbar thing is very neat! def might try that sometime. as for all the other brands listed I'm going to check them out! I wonder why the three stores I went to 99% of the bars I looked at contained almond ingredients or dairy products. I did get certain flavours of certain brands (Luna, Zone bars, I think a flavour of Clif to try?) but I'm looking to buy in bulk where it's convenient. But I'll just get around to experimenting with making my own too
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    If you find ones you like and want to buy locally rather than online, ask the store if they'll stock them for you.
  • squishprincess
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    If you find ones you like and want to buy locally rather than online, ask the store if they'll stock them for you.

that's a great idea
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @squishprincess all the ones I listed up-thread were bulk purchases (12-18 per box) from Costco, and cost less than $1.50 per bar

Cheers, h.