Sore muscles

Options
Is there anything to do for sore muscles? I hurt so bad from trying some new things in my workout I can hardly walk. I don't want to take a pain pill, but I'm about ready to... any tips would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Soaking a hot tub with Epsom salts will help. The heat will increase blood flow to clean away toxins and the Epsom salts work like a natural muscle relaxer. It also depends what the soreness is from. If it is from tears in the muscle fibers, it's only going to go away as the muscles are repaired. If it is from an excess of lactic acid and toxin build up in your muscles, then drinking a lot of water will help to clean it out. In the short term, an ibuprofen will take of the edge of the pain. You can also use a topical pain killer like Myoflex or Icy Hot if you don't want to take a pain pill. Hope that helps.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Allow your body to adapt to the exercise. It's all part of the process! I love being sore! But you can try warm baths, Epsom salt soaks, some claim bcaas help with soreness. I wouldn't take any pain medication for soreness unless it's actual pain. Just eat up, hydrate, and train a different muscle while that one recovers(: foam rolling and light stretching also helps
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    As PP have said, it depends on the type of pain. I agree with the warm baths. Gentle massage can also help. Make sure you're stretching out as both a warm-up, and then again as a cool-down (that always helps me avoid the next-day soreness).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    Warm bath or epsom soak, foam roller, gentle stretching, some movement the next day (walking or something else fairly gentle) to loosen up, icing soon after the workout, heat later, plenty of water, good nutrition. If you're confident the soreness doesn't involve an actual injury (localized acute pain, for example), then after a reasonable rest (day or two off), do something similar again - your body will adapt if you keep at it.
  • jenny1fit2
    jenny1fit2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling, light stretching
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    jenny1fit2 wrote: »
    Foam rolling, light stretching

This. I got a plain ol' foam roller from TJ Maxx for $10 and it is HANDS DOWN the BEST investment I've made for recovery. I can walk like a normal person even though I worked something new into my routine! No more cowboy strut or penguin waddle.
    I'm now looking into slightly more 'complex' rollers. :grin:
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Epsom salts and Biofreeze are my remedies for over-doing it! Biofeeze is a brand in health places but there are also ones by the same makers called Perform in Walmart and drug stores (in the Ben Gay area).
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Learn the difference between "sore" and "pain". Sore is ok, do what the others have suggested. Pain is probably an injury. If it's bad, see a doctor.

NEVER take Rx painkillers for anything but actual pain.

I find the best thing for soreness is gentle movement. If I stay still too long, I get stiff along with sore. That's not a pretty sight!