No eggs no dairy... help!

Options
megz4987
megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
My breakfast usually consists of some kind of egg (fried, scrambled) or cereal. Since I had my daughter I've been realizing that dairy and eggs make my stomach hurt.
The only other thing I can think of is oatmeal for breakfast but oatmeal can get so boring... what are ways to spice it up and not add too many calories, other than fruit, and not get too bored with it.

Any other breakfast suggestions would be great, as well!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• corinemh
    corinemh Posts: 22
    Options
    I know what you mean I eat Oatmeal almost everyday. But I get the kind that have so many different flavors and add fruit like banana's or strawberry's. Do egg whites even make you sick? If not you can add egg whites with a red potato. I like to cut up the potato in small squares and fry them with light olive oil and then add the just about 1/4 cup of egg white into the potatoes and cook all together. I think it comes out pretty good. And it always gets me full.
  • HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    I have been cutting back on dairy too - it doesn't sit well with me either. I have been having cereal every morning. My current love is Honey Bunches of Oats with Cinnamon Bunches. YUM!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    check out this blog for oatmeal ideas: http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    you can have a smoothie, cereal and oatmeal of course, some fruit and theres also cream of wheat(im vegan) so there is also waffles, french toast and pancake recipes that dont have dairy or eggs in them. if no time to cook, there is some that are dairy free and egg free. i buy mine at whole foods market.

theres also tofu scramblers(again vegan) its just like having scrambled eggs. i throw in whatever veggie i want and then you can add some cheese and some meat(vegan here of course) and theres also bacon and sausage(you guessed it vegan again)and dont forget some juice. toast with some jelly on it
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    Options
    I am one of those no dairy no eggs people and it is extremely hard for me too. I currently eat breakfast sausage and an english muffin with some spread on it for breakfast. I am thinking about doing a vegan scrambler next week for breakfasts. You use tofu as a substitute for eggs.
  • raychybabe
    raychybabe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm violently allergic to eggs so I feel your pain! I am however addicted to porridge (oatmeal) and I have been eating it every day now for about 2-3 months, trying different fruits (apricots and cinnamon is my fave!)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You could try soy milk with cereal, or just eat foods you like that are not traditionally thought of as breakfast foods.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    and if anybody needs any vegan advice for any meal let me know
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    What about a salad or celery with peanut butter? You may want to try english muffins or breakfast sausages. I'm a vegetarian and for breakfast I sometimes have a baked apple or other fruit with Melba toast. There are a lot of options without eating dairy. Potato salad or veggies are always good too! :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I hate oatmeal - so I usually have cream of wheat in the morning.
  • Samiwhereareyou
    Samiwhereareyou Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    what about non dairy milk like rice or almond
  • frida001
    frida001 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    You can do this - I went vegan for Lent. Remember it doesn't have to be a traditional breakfast food - you can have soup. My favorite breakfast was cereal with almond milk - yum!!!
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Go to graciouspantry.com and she did an oatmeal challenge and came up with about 200 different ways to make oatmeal. All clean recipes.
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Try a Tofu scrambler like some one already suggested you can also buy soy cheese, they even have a kind that melts. Not going to lie its a little expensive compared to regular cheese.
  • erichlf
    erichlf Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am actually a vegetarian, but my wife is not. However, she actually really likes the Silk Almond Milk Vanilla sweetened. It is 90cal for 1C. I never ate cereal because I hated soy milk in cereal, but with this milk I actually eat cereal again.

Also, there are various tofu scrambles that actually taste pretty good. Again, my wife likes them. I use her as the example, because she eats meat. I haven't eaten meat in so long that I don't remember what it is like. Here is the recipe for the tofu scramble

1/2 onion, diced
    1 clove garlic diced
    1 tomato diced
    8 oz mushroom chopped
    1 16oz extra firm tofu cubed
    1 T oil or margarine
    1 T soy sauce
    2 T nutritional yeast (this is not bread yeast)
    1/2 t turmeric
    2 T Mustard

The first thing to do is saute the tofu in the oil. Saute it until it browns a little. To make the tofu more firm you can freeze it and then thaw it before use. In a separate pan saute the onion and garlic. Once the onions are sauted to your desired consistency throw in the mushrooms and saute some more. Now, toss in the soy, nutritional yeast, turmeric, and mustard and mix. Once that is mixed toss in the tofu mix it some more and then throw in the tomato. This stuff is yummy.
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I suggest exploring Vegan cooking blogs, websites, and cookbooks.
    Some of my favorite egg & dairy free breakfasts are:

1) Tofu Scramble-- there are many recipes for this online, but basically - crumble tofu and add a small amount of seasoning like vegetable broth or soy sauce, garlic, pepper... and whatever spices & veggies you like, and saute on medium/low heat in a small amount of olive oil. A pinch of turmeric will turn the tofu yellow, if you'd like to fool your brain into thinking you're eating eggs.

2) Breakfast beans-- canned white beans, cooked for about 10 minutes with tomatoes, garlic, and peppers, to resemble a thick stew. Savory, filling, and full of protein and fiber!

3) Breakfast rice-- whatever kind of rice you like, cooked in vegetable broth, with tofu cubes, peas, and carrots added to the pot. Toss everything in, and simmer for 20 minutes. Or cook a batch of rice at the beginning of the week to keep in the fridge and add different veggies each morning. I add a teaspoon of spicy Indian relish, which you can get at most Asian grocery markets. <http://pataksusa.elsstore.com/view/category/1134-pickles---relishes/&gt;
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You can do this - I went vegan for Lent. Remember it doesn't have to be a traditional breakfast food - you can have soup. My favorite breakfast was cereal with almond milk - yum!!!
    This! In the winter I love miso soup for breakfast. It's more soothing than a cup of coffee to me.

To the OP. Peanut butter with apples or on toast is good. I like quinoa with almond milk and cranberries. A small portion of sausage with fruit

Breakfast doesn't have to be traditional breakfast food, You just need to eat to wake up your metabolism in the morning.
  • Garae
    Garae Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating cheese and drinking milk or anything dairy and not only has my skin cleared, but i'm losing weight faster. 7 pounds in 3 weeks!

I replaced milk with Vanilla Almond Milk! AND IT IS DELICIOUS!!! I get the vanilla kind because it is unsweetened and only 4 cal/cup. The regular kind has 7g sugar and is 45 cal/cup. The non sweetened has 1g of sugar I believe. I just add a Splenda to it, and then it's just fine =]
  • Garae
    Garae Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating cheese and drinking milk or anything dairy and not only has my skin cleared, but i'm losing weight faster. 7 pounds in 3 weeks!

I replaced milk with Vanilla Almond Milk! AND IT IS DELICIOUS!!! I get the vanilla kind because it is unsweetened and only 4 cal/cup. The regular kind has 7g sugar and is 45 cal/cup. The non sweetened has 1g of sugar I believe. I just add a Splenda to it, and then it's just fine =]

vanilla almond milk =40***** cal /cup!! my bad!
  • d_smith85
    d_smith85 Posts: 94
    Options
    This might sound crazy, but I love rice for breakfast. I always make extra with supper (whole grain brown rice)... in the morning I chop up a cup of veggies, peppers, onions, celery broccoli. I "stir fry" the veggies just in a good non stick pan with either .5tsp olive oil or cooking spray. I put some kind of hot sauce, in with the veggies, garlic, ginger, whatever other spices. Then about 100g of rice (sometimes more if I'm super hungry) add 1tbsp soy sauce. Use low sodium or ommit it completely if you're concerned about the sodium. I mix it until the rice is warmed through and it kicks butt in the morning. I love it!! I've also done this with quinoa, pretty amazing!