Motivation.. Or lack there of

Options
Hi everyone!

I've been using MFP on and off for at last 7 years. I had some success during a very very unhealthy diet.

I find myself now lacking motivation: I'll be super excited and dedicated while planning my meals for the week and my work out schedule but come the time to get down to business I cannot bring myself to physically go to the gym. I'm terribly exhausted, all of the time, even though I get 8 hours of sleep.

I'm wondering if anyone has tips and tricks on how to get past the exhaustion and getting things done.

HELP!

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Wondering what you're referring to as exhaustion? So spent physically you can't hardly move or more of a mental thing? If it's physical, I'd say a trip to the doctor might be in order. If it's the more typical, "I'm tired and don't feel like working out", I always try to do 5 min. with the idea if I'm really too tired, I don't have to continue. But in almost a year, I've never ended up quitting after 5 min. I wouldn't want to be obliged to drag myself to a gym, though- I work out at home. Also, consider your diet. I have a sweet tooth that kills my energy if I indulge too much.
  • dreadlifts
    dreadlifts Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think it's more of a mental thing... I start out with good intentions but get side tracked along the way and just don't have the patience to go to the gym and have my mind racing.

I think giving it a go for 5 minutes and going from there would be a good idea... I work out at a gym so I have to drag myself there to start off. I think working out at home may also be something I'll be looking into.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Try to exercise in the morning. I had same problem, some days you just don't feel like exercising after whole day of working and doing chores, so morning workout helped me. If you don't have a lot of time try at least 15 minutes to half an hour routine. It will help you wake up, you will still be rested enough to do workout, and even if you won't have time to go to the gym later you won't feel bad since you did some workout in the morning.
    As far as sticking to it goes, it's hard but you need to find your motivation. I really want to be healthy, fit and happy and I enjoy every step of the way :)
  • dreadlifts
    Options
    I'll have to give it a try in the morning; waking up is a total challenge in itself haha. some days it's not so much the physical tiredness that's an issue but the emotional and psychological (I work social work)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    dreadlifts wrote: »
    I'll have to give it a try in the morning; waking up is a total challenge in itself haha. some days it's not so much the physical tiredness that's an issue but the emotional and psychological (I work social work)

Exercise is the best antidote for emotional and psychological stress. I had to make myself do it at first, but then I started to actually crave the release. It really does clear your head. As to timing, I've never been able to work out first thing in the morning. I always squeeze mine in before dinner though, because once I sit down in the evening, I'm not likely to get back up ;)
  • dreadlifts
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

Exercise is the best antidote for emotional and psychological stress. I had to make myself do it at first, but then I started to actually crave the release. It really does clear your head. As to timing, I've never been able to work out first thing in the morning. I always squeeze mine in before dinner though, because once I sit down in the evening, I'm not likely to get back up ;)

haha, I can relate to that! I'll have to give it a go this evening after running errands. :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You just have to DO IT! I am always tired when I get home from work. I rarely WANT to go to the gym. I change directly from my work clothes to my gym clothes. I do NOT sit down (if I sit down, I will never get back up). And I go to the gym. And I always feel better after the gym then I did before.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

Posted before I read this! LOL