Cardio vs. Lifting, when and how much? (licensed trainers preferred)

Options
I want to lose about 80lbs. I'm down about 40 already. I've been doing mostly cardio and some crunches and dumbbells here and there. I want to know how can I keep losing but start to bring in weights? I love to lift but I want to keep losing too. How much cardio vs. weights should I be doing?

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Your diet determines whether or not you lose weight. No one can say what you should or shouldn't be doing in terms of exercise; it's entirely goal specific. Lifting will help you preserve existing muscle mass while you lose fat and you can still do cardio if you like it. I would read up on beginner lifting programs and then start one.

I'm not a trainer, but I did lose 28 pounds solely by lifting.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Yep^^

I would personally advocate that you start lifting now. You'll like your body better when you reach your goal weight.

But to lose weight, you only have to eat less calories than you burn. No exercise required.

If you want to start lifting, I love Stronglifts 5X5. Only five exercises, only takes me about 45 minutes, leaving room for cardio if you want. You can check it out and download the app at stronglifts.com.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Trainer or not, this is really an impossible question to answer. You COULD continue losing weight doing no weights at all or you COULD stop all cardio and just lift weights and continue to lose. And any amount of each in between. I personally recommend a solid full body strength program 3x a week and filling in the gaps with whatever cardio you like or none at all.
  • milaortiz30
    milaortiz30 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    thank you guys. i only said that trainer thing to weed out the looky loos and get serious answers. i am thinking 3 days weights 2 days cardio. when i was fit i was into the whole chest and tris, back and bis, 3 days on 2 days off thing but i dont think that hit my core and legs enough. i will look into these tips. :smile:
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Look into some organized plans. Until you are knowledgable enough to plan your own routine it'll be the best way to go.

Strong Curves
    New Rules of Lifting
    Stronglifts
    Starting Strength
    Ice Cream Fitness
    All Pro Beginner

There are a million others, but a well structured plan will help immensely. Far more than just doing whatever feels right.
  • Matt71Fleming
    Matt71Fleming Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi I've lost 44lbs since June by solely walking and now running.I find lifting weights tedious.Each to their own I suppose I'm happy with my results so far.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    thank you guys. i only said that trainer thing to weed out the looky loos and get serious answers. i am thinking 3 days weights 2 days cardio. when i was fit i was into the whole chest and tris, back and bis, 3 days on 2 days off thing but i dont think that hit my core and legs enough. i will look into these tips. :smile:

if you are going to do three days a week weights, then look into a full body routine that has you hitting the big compound movements three times a week - barbell chest press, overhead press, squat, deadlift, etc.
  • milaortiz30
    Options
    ya i was thinking i'm going to have to brave it and get my butt to doing squats again (ugh). i use my home gym so guess i'm going to have to get a barbell to supplement. i like full body 3x a week. that works for me then i can throw in cardio couple times a week if i'm able
    ndj1979 wrote: »

if you are going to do three days a week weights, then look into a full body routine that has you hitting the big compound movements three times a week - barbell chest press, overhead press, squat, deadlift, etc.

• lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'm not a trainer, but I went from a size 20 to a 10 through cardio and dietary changes over a several year period. I started lifting and dropped from a size 10 to a 2 with no dietary changes in just over a year. If I had to do it over, I would have started lifting sooner; but you really need to pick a lifting program and stick with it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I want to lose about 80lbs. I'm down about 40 already. I've been doing mostly cardio and some crunches and dumbbells here and there. I want to know how can I keep losing but start to bring in weights? I love to lift but I want to keep losing too. How much cardio vs. weights should I be doing?

all of that is pretty irrelevant to weight loss...regular exercise makes weight management easier, but weight management ultimately comes down to your eating. I cycle 80+ miles per week and lift 2-3x per week and do some hiking, swimming, walk my dog regularly and in general I am pretty active outside of my office. I've lost weight, maintained weight, and gained weight doing all of that...the difference being how much I was eating.

as a matter of general fitness i'd recommend at least 150 minutes of moderate cardiovascular exercise weekly and a full body lifting program 2-3x per week. more specific fitness goals would have you doing more or less of one or the other. most of my fitness goals revolve around cycling so I spend a good 300 minutes at least per week on the bike and i lift a couple nights per week.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If you want to start lifting, I love Stronglifts 5X5. Only five exercises, only takes me about 45 minutes, leaving room for cardio if you want. You can check it out and download the app at stronglifts.com.

Thanks for the tip...checked out the site, looks like a great resource.

• milaortiz30
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

all of that is pretty irrelevant to weight loss...regular exercise makes weight management easier, but weight management ultimately comes down to your eating. I cycle 80+ miles per week and lift 2-3x per week and do some hiking, swimming, walk my dog regularly and in general I am pretty active outside of my office. I've lost weight, maintained weight, and gained weight doing all of that...the difference being how much I was eating.

as a matter of general fitness i'd recommend at least 150 minutes of moderate cardiovascular exercise weekly and a full body lifting program 2-3x per week. more specific fitness goals would have you doing more or less of one or the other. most of my fitness goals revolve around cycling so I spend a good 300 minutes at least per week on the bike and i lift a couple nights per week.

i hear you. my diet is good and clean. as evidenced by my current and continued success. but i want to tighten and shape which is why im looking to add lifting. i have other more specific goals (i'm a tennis player, i'm over 40, i have a tricky knee) but i'm looking to start somewhere. thanks for the tips.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options