How do you keep turkey burgers from getting dry?

Options
BethanyMasters
BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
I love turkey burgers. I make mine with a bit of garlic and onion powder with 99/1 extra lean turkey.

Ive tried putting different sauces and marinades in them but they still turn out dry. More so if I broil them instead of grilling.

Suggestions plz!!!!

Replies

• Shutterpillar
    Options
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Deep fry them, the oil will keep them moist. JK

Try using a 95/5 or 90/10. you need fat in the burger to keep it from drying out.
  • aslui888
    aslui888 Posts: 1
    Options
    Chop up some onions and mix them with the turkey meat before you form patties and put on a skillet. The water from the onions will keep the turkey moist.
  • Kim_SFB
    Kim_SFB Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    maybe add some chopped mushrooms in with the turkey? I think that will add flavor, meatiness, fiber ,& moisture.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    egg whites. Seriously. It also helps them stick together better.
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    We use 93/7 turkey, and we mix a packet of dry ranch dressing in with the turkey. omgyumyumyummyyum. personally, I think the 99/1 is too dry for a burger. That would be better suited for a recipe that needs pan fried crumbles.
  • Planetsusie
    Options
    Add 1-2 T ricotta cheese per 4-5 oz ground turkey.... while it doesn't do TOO much in the way of adding flavor, ricotta is low fat, good calcium, and keeps turkey burgers nice and moist for grilling or broiling!
  • peggy1985
    peggy1985 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try mixing it with a little ground chicken and light sour cream, saute in olive oil.
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have the butterball natural and they are awesome... I used the jenny-o ones and they got very dry. I use a skillet on very low heat with a lid on it to keep the heat in. Love em!
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Ill try the mushrooms next time. My boyfriend wont eat onions. Maybe ill just put onions in my oatties.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    low heat in a frying pan with the lid on.
  • AKAngi
    AKAngi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My husband actually made turkey burgers last night and they weren't dry at all...he mixed a little bit of yellow mustard, a little bit of soy sauce, and a little bit of hot sauce (sounds weird, but they were great!) in with the turkey, and then cooked them in a nonstick skillet with a little bit of canola oil spray. They were very moist and tasted really good on a whole wheat bun with a bit of light mayo and lettuce/tomato!
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If you have extra calories I put some light italian dressing in the meat before I cook it...makes them yummy! just makes sure you ahve the calories/sodium for the dressing!
  • akellyking77
    akellyking77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I grate onion into the meat while I'm mixing it with spices. The juice from the onion keeps the meat moist and doesn't give you big chunks of onion if you were to chop/dice it.
  • TheDeviation
    TheDeviation Posts: 149
    Options
    Lean burgers will be dry when you cook them. The only way I've been able to kind of help this is using some olive oil.

This is the same reason you typically use a ground meat with higher fat content (80/20 or thereabout) when making burgers. Keeps them nice & moist. Not great for you though.
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I put low fat cheese inside of my turkey burgers and apple slice on top of the burger! The cheese and apple make it nice and juicy! If you're not crazy about the cheese, just do the apple slice.
  • supergirl28723
    Options
    Fat Free Greek yogurt...that adds moisture without adding fat.
  • 5weeks
    5weeks Posts: 38
    Options
    Do you have a Foreman type grill? That is the only way I can cook them without them getting dried out.
  • HealthierIn2011
    Options
    maybe add some chopped mushrooms in with the turkey? I think that will add flavor, meatiness, fiber ,& moisture.

I use portobello mushrooms, my husband who doesn't eat anything healthy LOVES them!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, that is what happens when you use an extremely lean meat. There just isn't enough fat to keep it moist. I use 97/3 ground turkey when adding it to recipes but for burgers, 85/15 is the way to go for juiciness. I just make the patties somewhat smaller. If substituting isn't an option, just remember to never overcook them which is easy to do because unlike beef, they need to be cooked thoroughly.