Day two! Anyone try those detox teas?

2»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    OP, I recently was on a course of antibiotics and they did a number on my digestive system.

I have spent more time in the bathroom this past week than I have in probably my whole life up to this point.

At least I can comfort myself with the knowledge that I did not voluntarily subject myself to this miserable fate.

You? If you drink some of this detox tea? Won't have that same comforting knowledge.

Sorrynotsorry for the overshare.

It needed to be said.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Day 432

1. Good you never used them, keep it that way.
    2. My kidneys and live and digestion system detox me.... does that count too?
    3. Thought i was pretty positive

Lost

95069916.png

And eating and drinking it all...in moderation. Just weighing and counting....and ofcourse let my body do its natural "detoxing" o:)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,246 Member
    edited December 2015
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Well, here's some positive feedback.

I drink the Yogi Peach Detox tea because I really like the taste. A friend gave me a sample and I liked it so well I bought some on Amazon (4 boxes because of the price break). At the grocery it is no more expensive than any other Yogi brand of tea ~ $3.50 a box.

Does it do anything special? I have no idea, I just like the way it tastes and it helps me get my liquids in. I certainly don't think it's dangerous and have not noticed any increase in diuretic or laxative effect. It's simply an herbal tea that tastes really good. Has it increased my weight loss, not that I've noticed. However, if it helps support my liver and kidney function (as the label claims), then fabulous! win, win

There is no tea in that "tea".

Exactly what do you think it is detoxing?

Well, there is no "tea" in ANY herbal tea. So, I suppose they should all be called tisanes regardless of what the label says.

I never said it was detoxing anything, just that I liked the taste and had no ill effects.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,942 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I'll give you some feedback from someone who HAS tried them :)

These teas include high amounts of caffeine and laxatives. They will make you feel wired, anxious, and have diarrhea. :)

My boyfriend bought me a new "berry" tea one day. As someone who drinks mostly peppermint teas and green teas daily, I thought "cool, something new to try!". It first began with my heart racing. Then cold sweats. Then tension in my chest. Then a rumble or two in my stomach.

Needless to say I had to leave work early and spent the better part of 24 hours total on the toilet. That's right, i left work early one day and couldn't go in the next because of this tea! It was the most excruciating pain i've ever felt. And i literally could not leave the toilet.

Come to find out this is a "berry detox tea" with the same ingredient in all of these other detox teas. Including but not limited to: Senna leaf and stem; Licorice root; Ginger root; Dandelion leaf; Fo-ti root; Rhubarb root; Sickle-pod senna seed.

In addition to the horrible laxative effect, these teas do not actually do anything for weight loss. The body loses fat by consuming less calories than it burns. The only thing this tea will do is make you lose water weight, diarrhea, work pay, and hard earned cash. :)

So, from someone whose actually used them... DONT!

P.S. My boyfriend was in serious trouble after this ordeal.

Lmao that's funny.. On the bf being in trouble. My co-worker was drinking a tea called "morning boost" this morning because she is trying to detox her body from all the caffeine. Caffeine brings on her anxiety. It's all natural and I was curious if ppl had feedback on it.
    As a PROFESSIONAL in the fitness and diet industry, "detoxes" are nothing more than exaggerated and deceptive programs that utilize the naivety of people unknowlegeable in nutrition and physiology, to spend their hard earned money. They base their programs on pseudoscience and anecdote testimonies. Hope that helps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ccoop92
    ccoop92 Posts: 9 Member
    edited December 2015
    Detox teas or colon cleanses are purely just laxatives, they upset the natural balance of the microbes in your gut by 'evacuating' ;) them which can cause more harm than good. They protect the mucus layer of your intestines and if they're not there you open yourself up to more serious damage and infections. Laxatives basically give you diarrhoea, this means that more water is being passed, that is the water that should be hydrating you, therefore this leaves you dehydrated and with electrolyte imbalance.

All the detox teas do is include a laxative and a stimulant, the laxative makes you feel like you're losing weight but in reality you're losing water, the stimulant counteracts the effects such as nausea, energy loss due to electrolyte imbalance and the general ill feeling associated with diarrhoea.

A few herbs isn't going to detox your body, 'toxins' are actually naturally stored in your fat cells if your liver can't deal with them and cannot be extracted or detoxed once stored so really this whole detox idea is a bit silly.

You're better off just drinking green tea, it keeps hunger cravings away and is actually good for you. If you're constipated drink fennel tea, it is much gentler than these detox teas. Its really not worth hurting your body!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited December 2015
    I'll give you some feedback from someone who HAS tried them :)

These teas include high amounts of caffeine and laxatives. They will make you feel wired, anxious, and have diarrhea. :)

My boyfriend bought me a new "berry" tea one day. As someone who drinks mostly peppermint teas and green teas daily, I thought "cool, something new to try!". It first began with my heart racing. Then cold sweats. Then tension in my chest. Then a rumble or two in my stomach.

Needless to say I had to leave work early and spent the better part of 24 hours total on the toilet. That's right, i left work early one day and couldn't go in the next because of this tea! It was the most excruciating pain i've ever felt. And i literally could not leave the toilet.

Come to find out this is a "berry detox tea" with the same ingredient in all of these other detox teas. Including but not limited to: Senna leaf and stem; Licorice root; Ginger root; Dandelion leaf; Fo-ti root; Rhubarb root; Sickle-pod senna seed.

In addition to the horrible laxative effect, these teas do not actually do anything for weight loss. The body loses fat by consuming less calories than it burns. The only thing this tea will do is make you lose water weight, diarrhea, work pay, and hard earned cash. :)

So, from someone whose actually used them... DONT!

P.S. My boyfriend was in serious trouble after this ordeal.

Lmao that's funny.. On the bf being in trouble. My co-worker was drinking a tea called "morning boost" this morning because she is trying to detox her body from all the caffeine. Caffeine brings on her anxiety. It's all natural and I was curious if ppl had feedback on it.

I'm glad you posted the specific tea so we can go into the details about it!

This tea, unfortunately, is not going to help her with the anxiety. I'll pick apart the ingredients and cost below so you can get a better idea about why i don't recommend this tea.

Ingredients in SkinnyMint Morning Boost Tea:
    Green Tea leaf: 1,230mg †
    Proprietary Blend of Herbs: 770mg †
    Mate leaf †
    Nettle leaf †
    Dandelion leaf †
    Guarana seed †

† = Daily Value not established

Each tea bag contains approximately 62mg of caffeine, as compared to approximately 90mg in 8oz of coffee.

So let's go through the ingredients... Green tea (stimulant), Yerba Mate Leaf (stimulant), Nettle Leaf (diuretic, specifically known to help you urinate when you have a UTI), Dandelion Leaf (Diuretic and Laxative), Guarana (stimulant).

In addition to being full of exactly what I imagined, it contains as much caffeine as 2 cans of coca cola. So, if her anxiety is made worse by caffeine it seems counter productive to drink this tea.

Now, all that being said, if you're adament on drinking this tea. For the love of god girl, don't spend $29.99 on this particular brand! JESUS, it's expensive as far as tea goes. If you MUST drink a tea like this, try one of the alternatives which contain the exact same ingredients. I'm sure there is one at your local grocery store for the 4-5$ range. Atleast that way you can have the diarrhea and anxiety without the price tag.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    They are laxative, I don't like them personally.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member

This tea, unfortunately, is not going to help her with the anxiety. I'll pick apart the ingredients and cost below so you can get a better idea about why i don't recommend this tea.

Mate leaf †
    Nettle leaf †
    Dandelion leaf †
    Guarana seed †

Each tea bag contains approximately 62mg of caffeine, as compared to approximately 90mg in 8oz of coffee.

So let's go through the ingredients... Green tea (stimulant), Yerba Mate Leaf (stimulant), Nettle Leaf (diuretic, specifically known to help you urinate when you have a UTI), Dandelion Leaf (Diuretic and Laxative), Guarana (stimulant).

In addition to being full of exactly what I imagined, it contains as much caffeine as 2 cans of coca cola. So, if her anxiety is made worse by caffeine it seems counter productive to drink this tea.

Now, all that being said, if you're adament on drinking this tea. For the love of god girl, don't spend $29.99 on this particular brand! JESUS, it's expensive as far as tea goes. If you MUST drink a tea like this, try one of the alternatives which contain the exact same ingredients. I'm sure there is one at your local grocery store for the 4-5$ range. Atleast that way you can have the diarrhea and anxiety without the price tag.

So I imagine the caffeine in that tea isn't doing much good to "detox" from caffeine, eh? :D

(....as if the human body doesn't already have perfectly capable mechanisms in place to metabolize/eliminate excess caffeine in the first place)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Mate leaf †
    Nettle leaf †
    Dandelion leaf †
    Guarana seed †

So I imagine the caffeine in that tea isn't doing much good to "detox" from caffeine, eh? :D

(....as if the human body doesn't already have perfectly capable mechanisms in place to metabolize/eliminate excess caffeine in the first place)

True dat. Although, In my opinion as someone who has pretty horrible anxiety and is super caffiene sensitive. When i cut it out completely I was sluggish, had headaches, etc. But when i took it I was anxious, heart racing, etc.

If someone really wants to "detox" (this isn't the right word for it) from caffeine they should just slowly lower the intake over time until they aren't consuming it anymore.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Advising someone to not waste their money isn't negative.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I'm so excited for the New Year when we get 10 of these kinds of posts a day.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited December 2015
    1. I never said I was going to use them.
    2. Please only provide feedback if you have used it.
    3. People posting negative comments please do not comment on my posts. Negativity is not allowed do BEAT IT!

Thank you in advance

1.) You never said you weren't.
    2.) You're not the boss of us.
    3.) Are you purposely being ironic?

Anyway, you don't have to have tried something to know it's bad. How many people do you need to watch jump off a cliff to decide for yourself that it's a bad idea? So-called "detox" teas are nothing but laxatives. Sure you'll lose weight temporarily, but if it's not fat then what's the point?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

i'll be happy if it's only 10....
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited December 2015
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

i'll be happy if it's only 10....

I think that I should just copy & paste all of my comments, to these threads; in a document. So that I don't have to retype, the same response endlessly; in more of these threads later. That could make me, "rage quit"!
  • enzaloccisano
    enzaloccisano Posts: 34 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Mate leaf †
    Nettle leaf †
    Dandelion leaf †
    Guarana seed †

True dat. Although, In my opinion as someone who has pretty horrible anxiety and is super caffiene sensitive. When i cut it out completely I was sluggish, had headaches, etc. But when i took it I was anxious, heart racing, etc.

If someone really wants to "detox" (this isn't the right word for it) from caffeine they should just slowly lower the intake over time until they aren't consuming it anymore.

Omg. I had the worse headache when I cut out caffeine. For 3 days I couldn't pick my head up off the couch. Horrible. I should of weened myself off.
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    I will say something positive about REGULAR tea. The last time I lost a lot of weight (about 70lbs), I made green tea a big part of my routine. I used it as a replacement habit. Whenever I got the urge to eat out of boredom, I would have a cup of tea instead. It helped me to consume less calories. There was nothing magic about it, but it helped me to change some of the things I was doing that were not conducive to weight loss.
  • enzaloccisano
    enzaloccisano Posts: 34 Member
    Kyrenora wrote: »
    I will say something positive about REGULAR tea. The last time I lost a lot of weight (about 70lbs), I made green tea a big part of my routine. I used it as a replacement habit. Whenever I got the urge to eat out of boredom, I would have a cup of tea instead. It helped me to consume less calories. There was nothing magic about it, but it helped me to change some of the things I was doing that were not conducive to weight loss.

That's great!! I wish I could drink green tea. But it bothers my stomach.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member

I do this too, but with plain 'ole black tea.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Detox teas are for the gullible. Won't try them because I like the way my bowels move.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member

That's great!! I wish I could drink green tea. But it bothers my stomach.

@enzaloccisano

The statement you have made about how green tea alone 'bothers your stomach' should give you pause for thought before attempting to use these de-tox teas.

Apart from the serious side effects of losing weight in your wallet area, if you are sensitive to green tea then the ingredients in de-tox teas are likely to cause you significant gastro-intestinal distress.

Best to avoid. Stick to a sensible calorie deficit, drink enough water to be well-hydrated, eat the foods you enjoy in moderation and get some exercise that you enjoy for the health benefits if you see fit.