English to English translator

1235»

Replies

• suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    spotted **** is a steamed pudding. I think its got raisins in it, and you have it with custard
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    I have no doubt that many an international incident has been caused by our British neighbors asking their unwary American friends if they could bum a *kitten*.

LOL!!!!!
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    if a handbag is a purse, what do americans call actual purses that you keep money in?

I think they call it a pocket book? I think....????
    Some of us refer to it as a 'billfold'. A billfold in the US holds bills and change. :happy:
    ETA! Lovin this thread!!:love: My Mum was from England so it's wonderful to hear all these words again. :heart:
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Canadian UK

truck = lorry
    stroller = pushchair
    garbage = rubbish
    soother = dummy
    child = kid
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Bladdered = Drunk

Throw a Wobbly = Have a Tantrum

Pavement Pizza = Vomit

Cheeky = Flippant
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Bladdered = Drunk

Throw a Wobbly = Have a Tantrum

Pavement Pizza = Vomit

Cheeky = Flippant

bladdered/pissed/blotto/steaming/wrecked

throw a wobbly, have a paddy

vomit/upchuck
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    This is fun :) I could do this all day!

There's a few for getting drunk - getting pissed, getting slaughtered, getting gazebo'd (for the michael mcintyre fans!), but I just saw on Geordie Shore (lol) that they say 'getting mortal' in Newcastle. That's weird.

Roundabout - circle in the middle of the road that people drive around to go left and right, non-existant in the US I believe!
    Intersection - junction
    Biscuit - bread roll (as far as i'm aware, that's what they look like to me!)
    Bell pepper - pepper
    Barette - hair slide/clip
    Candy - sweets
    Cell Phone - mobile phone (normally shortened to 'mobile')
    Drugstore - pharmacy
    Dumpster - Skip
    Fanny pack - bum bag
    Gasoline - Petrol
    Heavy cream - double cream
    Mail - post
    Parking lot - car park
    Saran wrap - cling film
    Shredded cheese - grated cheese
    Ground beef - mince beef
    Blush - blusher
    That's garbage - that's rubbish!
    Cash register - till
    Pantyhose - tights (I think? That's what i've thought since Pretty Woman anyway)
    Dish soap - washing up liquid
    Vacuum Cleaner - hoover (brand name but everyone says it)
    Movie - film
    Sneakers - trainers
    Hey, how are you? - Alright mate?

I'll stop now! I've been a bit obsessed with the US since..forever. One day i'll go, and i'll have to walk around the supermarkets (grocery stores!) looking at all the weird flavours :)

Not really the same thing but I like it when Rachel from Friends accidentally makes english trifle with beef!
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    "alright mate?" sounds way cooler than "how's it going?"

Our (the US's) biscuits are closer to a scone, which I have no idea what that is in the UK. Possibly just a scone. Either that or a "nibbly bun" or something.

My favorite is when Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber says he's having tea and strumpets.
  • hcollett
    hcollett Posts: 4 Member
    I have no doubt that many an international incident has been caused by our British neighbors asking their unwary American friends if they could bum a *kitten*.

Ha ha brilliant! actually sat here laughing at my computer
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    This is fun :) I could do this all day!

There's a few for getting drunk - getting pissed, getting slaughtered, getting gazebo'd (for the michael mcintyre fans!), but I just saw on Geordie Shore (lol) that they say 'getting mortal' in Newcastle. That's weird.

Roundabout - circle in the middle of the road that people drive around to go left and right, non-existant in the US I believe!
    Intersection - junction
    Biscuit - bread roll (as far as i'm aware, that's what they look like to me!)
    Bell pepper - pepper
    Barette - hair slide/clip
    Candy - sweets
    Cell Phone - mobile phone (normally shortened to 'mobile')
    Drugstore - pharmacy
    Dumpster - Skip
    Fanny pack - bum bag
    Gasoline - Petrol
    Heavy cream - double cream
    Mail - post
    Parking lot - car park
    Saran wrap - cling film
    Shredded cheese - grated cheese
    Ground beef - mince beef
    Blush - blusher
    That's garbage - that's rubbish!
    Cash register - till
    Pantyhose - tights (I think? That's what i've thought since Pretty Woman anyway)
    Dish soap - washing up liquid
    Vacuum Cleaner - hoover (brand name but everyone says it)
    Movie - film
    Sneakers - trainers
    Hey, how are you? - Alright mate?

I'll stop now! I've been a bit obsessed with the US since..forever. One day i'll go, and i'll have to walk around the supermarkets (grocery stores!) looking at all the weird flavours :)

Not really the same thing but I like it when Rachel from Friends accidentally makes english trifle with beef!

we have round abouts.. you just don't see them very often, and usually we have to go around them once or twice before we get it. or we go backwards on them lol. They are usually on one lane.

Pantyhose are really thin tights where as tights are really thick... both names are used in the US another name for panty hose is nylons.
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    half of those things are not UK versions of american things, theyre just annoying ways of saying something. I cringe if someone says AWWW BLESS

My British room mate always said Aww Bless...Bless him
    Being from the Caribbean we actually use some English words and some American...so I understand most of it...

My favourite UK word though is nackered = tired
This discussion has been closed.