Rewarding Yourself

Options
Hi everyone! I'm not new to MFP, but I have been gone for about 3 years--gained a bunch of weight-- and now I'm back. I need to lose around 25-30 pounds to get to where I was before.

I'm setting short term goals to help me reach my long term goal. I want to give myself rewards for each 5 pounds lost or each NSV, etc. So far, I can only think of a few things (non-food).

I'm sure this question has been addressed before, but what kinds of things do you use as rewards for reaching your mini goals?

I was thinking manicure, new shoes, and uh.... I get stuck there. Please give me some ideas!

Also, I am open to new friends for motivation and support!

Thanks,
Carrie

Replies

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Mine rewards have been signing up for a charity 5k (many of these), new shoes, tattoo, some new jewelry, kettlebells, new jogging capris, and more I just can't think of right now.
  • bigsicklittlesick
    bigsicklittlesick Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • RebekahRN83
    RebekahRN83 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Some rewards I plan to use: hour massage at a spa, cute boots, 5k, hair makeover, garmin watch, upgrade my fitbit, take a day off work for some "me" time (and not feel guilty), take a weekend trip somewhere (to visit family in a nearby state, or go to a local attraction).

When I hit maintenance I may use the 5k/10k and massages now and then as a reward for maintaining
  • Kitty_Nikki
    Kitty_Nikki Posts: 44 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have a much more significant amount of weight to lose so I plan to reward my large milestones with large things. Here is what I have planned:

20 pounds lost - Fitbit Charge HR (achieved and purchased)
    50 pounds lost - Get Invisalign, I've always wanted straight teeth and if I do it at 50 pounds I should be able to have them straight by the end of my journey
    75 pounds lost - Time with a personal trainer, so I can start working on toning instead of just the aerobic exercise I do now.
    100 pounds lost - Lasik, I want to be able to get rid of my bulky glasses and contact lenses but have always been afraid of Lasik. Hopefully this will encourage me to be brave enough to do it.
    120 pounds lost - GOAL! New wardrobe

Obviously these wouldn't work for everyone (both based on cost and also personal needs) but they are the things that I want the most.

*Edited for spelling
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Usually new work-out clothes...my current obsession.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I don't want to spend a lot of money on "rewards", so I tend to hit the thrift store for either a new-to-me outfit or a couple of fifty-cent books
  • bigsicklittlesick
    Options
    I have a much more significant amount of weight to lose so I plan to reward my large milestones with large things. Here is what I have planned:

20 pounds lost - Fitbit Charge HR (achieved and purchased)
    50 pounds lost - Get Invisalign, I've always wanted straight teeth and if I do it at 50 pounds I should be able to have them straight by the end of my journey
    75 pounds lost - Time with a personal trainer, so I can start working on toning instead of just the aerobic exercise I do now.
    100 pounds lost - Lasik, I want to be able to get rid of my bulky glasses and contact lenses but have always been afraid of Lasik. Hopefully this will encourage me to be brave enough to do it.
    120 pounds lost - GOAL! New wardrobe

Obviously these wouldn't work for everyone (both based on cost and also personal needs) but they are the things that I want the most.

*Edited for spelling

These are great. Congratulations on meeting your first goal!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Yeah I am always working for practical items that make my work out life more fun and interesting. So far I've earned: an aria scale, waterproof hikers, a really good goretex coat, several pairs of running tights, a workout hoodie. In the new year I'll be working for: a Fitbit HR, summer hikers, time with a trainer on free weights, a refresher swim lesson (to help me better time my breathing with my stroke), a new bathing suit. I also take little trips as perks. Mostly in the area. Destination urban walks or hikes that keep things interesting. 2016 is the 100th anniversary of Jack Londons death so I'll be doing things at his Beauty Ranch which is now a state park as well as visiting some of his haunts in Santa Cruz, Carmel, Oakland, Berkeley, Benicia, and southern Oregon.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    If I win the lottery I'll be taking the car ferry to Skagway! LOL
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    When I had trouble logging consistently, I told myself I would buy a programmable pressure cooker at my 30 day mark. It worked and I am doing much better with my logging. Also I can throw my ingredients in in the morning and set it to start an hour before I get home. Dinner is waiting for me hot and fresh.
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My rewards are things like smaller clothes and kitchen equipment. Once I hit my goal, I'm going to spend the several hundred dollars to enroll in a yoga instructor licensing program that I've been contemplating for a couple years now. One of the reasons that I'm working on losing the weight is because I want to have more kids, and I want my next pregnancy to be healthier (I had Gestational Diabetes last time, which required insulin). So I'll "reward" myself with a baby eventually.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I should definitely think of some rewards with 50 pounds to lose.
  • trvshm
    trvshm Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    How about hiring a cleaning service for a month....then you can use that extra time to do something active that you normally wouldn't do (hike/ride a new trail, rock climb, etc.) Or just use it for a chance to get out a do something you enjoy.
  • bigsicklittlesick
    edited December 2015
    Options
    trvshm wrote: »
    How about hiring a cleaning service for a month....then you can use that extra time to do something active that you normally wouldn't do (hike/ride a new trail, rock climb, etc.) Or just use it for a chance to get out a do something you enjoy.

That's a good one!!