Not enough calories?

Options
Are you serious? I just started counting my intake & apparently i have mostly been below my recommended.

My doctor wants me to eat more often, but what the heck am i going to eat in place of my usual (all though im below recommended). Im afraid if i fail ill be stuck with the habit of eating more often.

I hate most food including fruits & veggies, i only want to eat pasta, rice & bread ( a bag of Doritos once a month ... u girls know what im talking about) I hardly even drink juice or sodas!

Its unfair :(

Someone tell me, if my usual diet is below 1200 shouldn't i be loosing?

1 week .... im gonna try only veggies & apples for 1 week and see if its my pasta & rice that is killing me. If i don't loose a lb im gonna rip that doctor's certificate off his wall and EAT IT!.

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    statci wrote: »
    Are you serious? I just started counting my intake & apparently i have mostly been below my recommended.

My doctor wants me to eat more often, but what the heck am i going to eat in place of my usual (all though im below recommended). Im afraid if i fail ill be stuck with the habit of eating more often.

I hate most food including fruits & veggies, i only want to eat pasta, rice & bread ( a bag of Doritos once a month ... u girls know what im talking about) I hardly even drink juice or sodas!

Its unfair :(

Someone tell me, if my usual diet is below 1200 shouldn't i be loosing?

1 week .... im gonna try only veggies & apples for 1 week and see if its my pasta & rice that is killing me. If i don't loose a lb im gonna rip that doctor's certificate off his wall and EAT IT!.

Statci, could you clarify your goals and current stats (current weight, height, goal weight, and goal rate of loss?) Are you using a food scale? Do you have any history of eating disorders?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    No dairy or protein?

If you are not losing weight, I would suggest you are eating more calories than you think. Are you weighing everything you eat? If not, it is likely you are underestimating the amount of food you are eating.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Try buying a food scale, weighing and logging everything you eat, and then see if you are really eating the amount of calories you thought you were.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    It matters not WHAT you eat...but HOW MUCH.

How are you determining the "how much" now? If it's not by weighing solid food, and measuring liquids, it's most likely you're underestimating the amount of calories you're eating.
  • Jessapi
    Jessapi Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yeah eat more. Going under will cause your body to horde calories because it thinks it is starving. Try sneaking vegetables into your meals. I love spaghetti so I started putting diced carrots in the sauce and I don't even taste them because they blend in so well.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i suspect you are eating more than you think. if you don't use one, I would recommend a food scale
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Jessapi wrote: »
    Yeah eat more. Going under will cause your body to horde calories because it thinks it is starving.

No...not this.
  • statci
    statci Posts: 9 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You guys are probably right. But I think less than 1/2 a pack of pasta with some sauce a day would shouldn't be over 1200cal. i know pasta is bad for me so when i do eat it i try not to eat any carbs for dinner, i would grab tuna or something

Ok just for reference here is what my meals look like for the day.

Breakfast - 1 slice of whole wheat buttered toast (most morning i eat nothing because i HATE breakfast)

Lunch (i don't usually eat everyday)- 1 cup of cooked rice/pasta (when im really hungry) and a bite of chicken ( im not much of a meat eater)

Dinner - 1 cup of cooked rice/pasta with lil gravy or sauce (no meat - my dog loves me because she gets my share)

I am a creature of habit so this is what my weekly meals look like
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    again, in case you missed it:

Statci, could you clarify your goals and current stats (current weight, height, goal weight, and goal rate of loss?) Are you using a food scale? Do you have any history of eating disorders?
  • statci
    edited December 2015
    Options

225 lbs
    5ft 2"
    goal -120lbs
    rate i don't care i just want to loose some

No im not using a scale (prob need to get one) & no i have no history of eating disorders
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    There's no way you're only eating a cup of pasta. Are you considering the whole box one cup?
  • blankiefinder
    Options

225 lbs
    5ft 2"
    goal -120lbs
    rate i don't care i just want to loose some

No im not using a scale (prob need to get one) & no i have no history of eating disorders

A few last question, what is your current rate of loss, and how long have you been at this?
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Like others have said, no matter what you are eating if you were truly around 1200 calories a day you would absolutely be losing weight
    When you say a cup do you mean a cup of dry or cooked?
    Something is not adding up...

When people say you need to eat more it generally means more nutrient dense, filling, but lower calorie foods such as chicken, tuna, eggs, lean meats and lots of veggies. You can quickly reach your calorie goal with foods such as breads, pastas, doritos...etc...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You guys are probably right. But I think less than 1/2 a pack of pasta with some sauce a day would shouldn't be over 1200cal. i know pasta is bad for me so when i do eat it i try not to eat any carbs for dinner, i would grab tuna or something

Ok just for reference here is what my meals look like for the day.

Breakfast - 1 slice of whole wheat buttered toast (most morning i eat nothing because i HATE breakfast)

Lunch (i don't usually eat everyday)- 1 cup of cooked rice/pasta (when im really hungry) and a bite of chicken ( im not much of a meat eater)

Dinner - 1 cup of cooked rice/pasta with lil gravy or sauce (no meat - my dog loves me because she gets my share)

I am a creature of habit so this is what my weekly meals look like

Boxes of pasta are generally 12-16 ounces. That's 6-8 servings. Eating half would be 3-4 servings a day.

If you're overweight, you're eating more than what you've listed above. Fool your brain about it but you can't fool the rest of your body.

What are your height/weight/age/activity levels? Why does your doctor want you to eat more often? Do you have an eating disorder?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What liquids do you consume? How much?
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    If after you eating apples and veggies for a week and you haven't lost weight--I suggest buying a food scale/measurements and start measuring your food to accurately log it. If after doing that you still don't lose weight then yes, you should go back to your doctor.
  • statci
    Options
    I
    There's no way you're only eating a cup of pasta. Are you considering the whole box one cup?

I want to loose the weight but its one of the few things i actually like to eat so i literally take a measuring cup and take a cup. I don't even eat all that sometimes because i know its bad for me.

I joined this site to get information & talk about my diet etc. If i need negativism or sarcasm i can get that from my family thank you. So yeah thanks a lot for making fun of me on the first time i actually decide to talk to people about it.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    What did you eat (and how much) to get to your current weight?

The idea is not to only eat "diet" foods or very little food. The idea is to develop sustainable habits which will help you lose weight and then maintain the weight loss after. If you develop super restrictive habits to lose the weight, it'll come back when you stop. Think long-term results.

The weight didn't come on over night, it's not going to leave quickly either. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    I

I want to loose the weight but its one of the few things i actually like to eat so i literally take a measuring cup and take a cup. I don't even eat all that sometimes because i know its bad for me.

I joined this site to get information & talk about my diet etc. If i need negativism or sarcasm i can get that from my family thank you. So yeah thanks a lot for making fun of me on the first time i actually decide to talk to people about it.

Measuring cups are not an accurate way to measure solid food. You'll need a food scale for that. Until then, you're merely estimating, and if you're not losing weight, probably significantly underestimating as everyone has pointed out.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Also, pasta isn't bad for you. Carbs aren't bad for you. And how can you claim to avoid carbs for dinner after eating carbs earlier in the day and then list a typical day of eating that is carbs carbs carbs? You're writing nonsense.