Just started Stronglifts 5x5, question about weight increases

Options
Hi all, dunno if any of you have seen various threads I've made on here about wanting to start using weights, wanting to do things at home because I'm self-conscious about using the weights at the gym, etc. But a lot of people have given the advice to start with a structured program, so last night I finally bucked up and got over my fear of the weight section and did the first day of S5x5. I liked it a lot, took it slow and was using video references and staring at myself at every angle in the mirrors to make sure my form was okay, etc. (I usually go to the gym around midnight so there's hardly ever anyone else there which made it a little less intimidating).

I'm starting with the recommended weights it gave me (the lowest starting point, using just the bar for most of them) and holy hell I am WEAK. Squats I was okay on (it was still hard) but with the bench press and the barbell row I was really struggling to finish them, but I did finish. It makes me nervous about adding weight every time even though they're small-ish increases.

Should I continue using just the bar until they get a bit easier, or stick exactly to the program and increase the weight next time?

For reference, I did:

Squat 45 lbs (says lift 50 next time)
Bench Press 45 lbs (lift 47 next time)
Barbell Row 65 lbs (lift 70 next time)

Looking at the numbers they look like really small jumps but still makes me nervous lol. Also, I didn't really check but I don't remember seeing any 1 lb plates there, just the 2.5, so how would I do the bench press? Do 50 instead?

Replies

• wdunnett1
    wdunnett1 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    First, bravo for going in there and kicking its butt! Remember everyone started somewhere, and you beat the majority by overcoming fears.
    as for weight maybe try the same weight another week. I have yet to see a program that is meant to be followed to the letter all the way through. Especially 5×5 routines. There are many variations of this program and smaller slower progressions will be longer lasting results
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    When I ran Stronglifts it wasn't uncommon for me to postpone increasing the weight until I was comfortable with it. Also, I highly recommend getting some fractional plates that allow you to increase by 2.5 instead of 5 lbs. This is very helpful, especially for women, on the upper body lifts (Overhead press, bench).
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    There's a massive thread or group on 5x5 for ladies. I don't know what its called but you should look for it and it'll probably help you a ton.

IIRC I thought you added 5lbs every time in theory? However theory is awesome but if you can't do it, you can't do it.

There's a variety of ways to tackle this but here's how I had my wife do it (she just started a month ago.)

Say, she's benching 55lbs and does: sets of 5, 5, 4, instead of continuing on doing less reps I have her drop 5lbs and do a set of 5 or if it feels easy 7. So it looks like this:

55lbs- 5, 5, 4

STOP

Take off 5lbs

50lbs- 7, 5

Done with bench. Same idea with all the lifts.

IMO as a beginner getting reps in is more important than arbitrarily raising your weight and failing. I do get the approach and used it myself when I started and its also really simple to follow and it helps beat the fear of failure out of your head early. BUT IMO getting more reps as a beginner is more important.

tl;dr version- Up the weight next time. If you fail on set 3 or earlier, lower the weight, finish your sets with reps of 5-7.

Random note- You're bent over rowing more than you bench? That's a solid bent over row for a beginning woman. Nice work there!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    If you're not ready to advance, don't. There's no shame in repeating the same weights until they're a little easier, but still making you work. When you can do all 5 sets with relative ease, that's when you advance. Back when I did this program, I hurt my back because I was all "The program told me to advance, so I'm going to!" when really, I should have kept it the same weight, or even lowered it. The 95# deadlift they want you to start with was even too much for me.

Good luck!
  • kami3006
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I don't know if you looked at the website or just the app but I'm linking this here for reference. Most of what you're asking is answered on the site. http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Everyone is diff. What works for one may not work as well for another.
    I say throw the weight on.... let your body tell you if your moving to fast
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Also, I highly recommend getting some fractional plates that allow you to increase by 2.5 instead of 5 lbs. This is very helpful, especially for women, on the upper body lifts (Overhead press, bench).
    I'd recommend getting fractional plates as well.
    I think the 5x5 plans only flaw is that the weight moves up too fast. It's a solid program, but with many program, use common sense.
    Depends on the person. The speed of the weight increases was fine for me. I added about 40 pounds to my bench, 50 to overhead press, 150 to deadlift and 100 to squats before I experienced stalls.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I chose to do All Pro as opposed to a 5x5 as it is a rep progression (8-12) before a weight progression.
    I am only starting week 4 so haven't upped my weigh yet, but really enjoying it and feeling comfortable working with it on my own in the gym.

As posted above, up the weight when you are ready.

Cheers, h.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Increasing resistance is relative to the person. Some can increase fast, some cannot. You should challenge yourself, but not to the point where it hampers progression.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I'm so impressed that you just bit the bullet and started. I'm not mentally there yet. I have a lot of activities that I do throughout the week, and that is just my #1 excuse for not lifting heavy at this time.

Kudos to you!!!
  • ghouli
    ghouli Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I'll stick to the same weight until it gets a bit easier.
  • kami3006
    Options
    ghouli wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I think I'll stick to the same weight until it gets a bit easier.

Good plan. Working on form should be top priority anyway.

Happy lifting!
  • hufflepie
    hufflepie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Definitely do that.

I just started 5x5 last week and even though I finished the Barbell Row the 5 sets at 65 last time, I did it again today because it was so damn hard. After this second time, I think I'm good for going up to 70.
  • ghouli
    Options
    hufflepie wrote: »
    Definitely do that.

I just started 5x5 last week and even though I finished the Barbell Row the 5 sets at 65 last time, I did it again today because it was so damn hard. After this second time, I think I'm good for going up to 70.

Ah that's reassuring and gives me hope then haha. Do you use the app and if so did it tell you to bench 47 next time or 50? I was confused on that because I thought it went up in increases of 5
  • ghouli
    Options
    ovidnine wrote: »
    There's a massive thread or group on 5x5 for ladies. I don't know what its called but you should look for it and it'll probably help you a ton.

IIRC I thought you added 5lbs every time in theory? However theory is awesome but if you can't do it, you can't do it.

Random note- You're bent over rowing more than you bench? That's a solid bent over row for a beginning woman. Nice work there!

Yep! I joined the group a while ago but only just started reading through there today. And yeah that's one thing that had me confused, why it told me to do 47 next time and not 50. Unless the app has a way of timing you and was like "well she's taking too long to check off her sets, not ready for an extra 5 lbs" or something? Not sure.

And thanks! Also thank you for the extra tips in your post as well.
  • ghouli
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I don't know if you looked at the website or just the app but I'm linking this here for reference. Most of what you're asking is answered on the site. http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

I'll have to read through that more thoroughly, I'd read through it before but not super in-depth on all the sections. Thank you!
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Just a cautionary note- if you're using the free weights you really should lift weights with a "spotter"/ friend.
  • ghouli
    Options
    Also, just thought of another question - the overhead press intimidates me a bit, would it be okay to use the overhead press machine until I gain some strength and feel comfortable using a barbell, or would that not get the same benefits?
  • ghouli
    Options
    a_candler wrote: »
    Just a cautionary note- if you're using the free weights you really should lift weights with a "spotter"/ friend.

Thanks!