I'm having some trouble

Options
I'm having some trouble figuring out the calorie counter. I'm trying to build muscle, so I've been looking into how many grams of macro-nutrients I would need to take in in order to build said muscle. It came down to 134g of carbs, 134g of protein, about 56g of fat, and 2,200 calories per day. I tried to use the calorie counter and put this in, but it's telling me I would need 210 grams per day of carbs and protein and 46 grams of fat in order to take in 2,200 calories per day. That doesn't sound right to me. If anyone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Why doesn't that sound right?
  • FastGain
    FastGain Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Why doesn't that sound right?
    Because I'm 134 pounds. 220 grams of carbs and protein sounds excessive.
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    FastGain wrote: »
    I'm having some trouble figuring out the calorie counter. I'm trying to build muscle, so I've been looking into how many grams of macro-nutrients I would need to take in in order to build said muscle. It came down to 134g of carbs, 134g of protein, about 56g of fat, and 2,200 calories per day. I tried to use the calorie counter and put this in, but it's telling me I would need 210 grams per day of carbs and protein and 46 grams of fat in order to take in 2,200 calories per day. That doesn't sound right to me. If anyone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

134 grams of each of proteins and carbs and 56 grams of fat only add up to about 1600 calories. So to get to 2200 calories, you have to add to at least one of your macros. You can tweak your macro distribution manually under goals.
  • FastGain
    Options
    madammags wrote: »
    FastGain wrote: »

134 grams of each of proteins and carbs and 56 grams of fat only add up to about 1600 calories. So to get to 2200 calories, you have to add to at least one of your macros. You can tweak your macro distribution manually under goals.

Yes, I've done that. I added more carbs, but I've been reading that in order to put on muscle, I should have the protein be the biggest portion. The problem with that is, I can't take that much protein in without messing up my kidneys. I didn't want to add fat because I don't if that would keep me from putting in muscle. I'm just very confused.
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Protein shouldn't necessarily be the biggest portion of what you eat, as long as you get enough (and 134 grams should be plenty if you weigh 134 pounds). I believe the rule of thumb is about 1g/lb of lean body mass or .8g/lb of total mass for muscle gain (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Fat will not keep you from gaining muscle, in fact fat is an essential nutrient, don't be afraid of it. The membrane of every single cell in your body is made from fat (lipid bilayer) and it is involved in lots of important processes in your body.
    Eliminating or severely limiting trans fats and limiting saturated fats is a good idea, but don't worry too much about overall fat intake.
  • FastGain
    Options
    madammags wrote: »
    Protein shouldn't necessarily be the biggest portion of what you eat, as long as you get enough (and 134 grams should be plenty if you weigh 134 pounds). I believe the rule of thumb is about 1g/lb of lean body mass or .8g/lb of total mass for muscle gain (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Fat will not keep you from gaining muscle, in fact fat is an essential nutrient, don't be afraid of it. The membrane of every single cell in your body is made from fat (lipid bilayer) and it is involved in lots of important processes in your body.
    Eliminating or severely limiting trans fats and limiting saturated fats is a good idea, but don't worry too much about overall fat intake.

Okay. I tweaked my goal sheet to 275g carbs, 138 protein, and 61g fat. Hope I an still build muscle from that.