Binge Eating Hindering My Weight Loss

Options
Someone please help me.

Ever since thanksgiving, I have been struggling with eating healthy and controlling my portions when I eat. I find myself eating large amounts of sweets in one sitting with the mindset of, "I have to finish it all" or, "I'll start eating healthy again tomorrow so let me get it out of my system now". I had a problem with binge eating before and I was seeing a therapist for it and came to the realization that I was in a stressful relationship. After I had ended the relationship, I had stopped binge eating and finally got down to 130lbs from 145lbs..... I'm now back at 145lbs.... I was 119lbs this time last year.... I am so ashamed with myself that I can't even look at myself naked. I can't even change in front of people anymore and I don't go out as much as before because my clothes have become tight. Unfortunately, I can't cover much up because it's pretty much summer all year round here in Oahu.

I don't know exactly how, but can someone PLEASE help me!?

Replies

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Remind yourself that you're just not having those cookies today, they will still exist in the future and you can have more then.

Exercise to allow yourself more calories.

Throw out all temptation. Like its poison.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    don't hang on to days past. just start fresh and new. do not dwell on what's already happened. Get up, start moving, start meal planning, and recording/counting your calories.
  • alohajls
    alohajls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Aloha (really--much aloha to you!). You're going to be ok!

Binge eating is hard. I was never diagnosed, but I binged for many, many years and for me it was a terrible cycle filled with self loathing (and I am the reigning queen of 'I will just eat it ALL now to get it out of my life and start being healthy tomorrow').

You have to find what works for you in regards to eating, but for me, pre-logging my meals the night before gives me a great sense of control.

Don't be ashamed--we've all got issues of one sort or another. You've dealt with this problem before, with success. Sounds like getting back into therapy might help.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Have you tried intermittent fasting? It has really helped me with my binge eating struggles. There are lots of threads on the message boards about IF.
  • z_roar
    z_roar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    Have you tried intermittent fasting? It has really helped me with my binge eating struggles. There are lots of threads on the message boards about IF.

Hey there,

First off I totally agree with this poster ^^^^

Secondly, I'm in the same boat as you. Started off losing weight, got down to 118 and then binged my way to 155 and now down to 148 with a goal of 125. I have the same issue with thinking "oh, I'll just get it out of my system and then I won't be tempted anymore". If you need support from a like minded person feel free to friend/message me! Intermittent fasting had helped me tremendously on bad days.

Good luck to you!
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into IIFYM (if it fits your macros)/flexible dieting. Basically it's eating to hit your macronutrients and micronutrients and once you hit your protein, fat and micronutrients, you can have a treat as long as you stay within your calories.

It's more relaxed and less stressful than clean eating, which makes it more sustainable long term. There's no guilt over eating "bad foods" because they are accounted for within your daily calories.

Personally I find it helpful to limit treats till the very end of the day so that's less time to get tempted. And knowing I get a treat helps me behave all day.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Throw it all away? No one binges on brocoli and grilled chicken.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Throw it all away? No one binges on brocoli and grilled chicken.
    Yes!

Does it help to eat your meals first? then have whatever treat you were interested in.

• Bringit2016
    Bringit2016 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey :) I used to be in the same boat and struggled with binge eating, too. I now think that one of the best solutions is to not buy sweets and chocolates in the first place. out of sight, out of mind, right? ;) I now go grocery shopping and buy tons of vegetables, fruit, lean protein and my cart is always pretty healthy. I try to walk right past the sweets section without even looking at it.

I used to go and buy lots of chocolate and say i will eat it in moderation when i want to but they never lasted for a week! also know that it's ok to have them but buy the smallest package of mini chocolates you can find. That way, you can have a mini chocolate bar for about 100 calories 2 or 3 times a week, totally fine! or else you will end up binging again if you deprive yourself too much, just buy this pack once every two weeks or so, and fit it into your calories. Also, if you are struggling with sugar, eat lots of protein, it usually makes you fuller and i read that sugar cravings can be decreased by magnesium so if you find yourself binging on sugar quite often, you might have Magnesium deficiency..

Wishing you the best of luck :) you can do this!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,000 Member
    Options
    Someone please help me.

Ever since thanksgiving, I have been struggling with eating healthy and controlling my portions when I eat. I find myself eating large amounts of sweets in one sitting with the mindset of, "I have to finish it all" or, "I'll start eating healthy again tomorrow so let me get it out of my system now". I had a problem with binge eating before and I was seeing a therapist for it and came to the realization that I was in a stressful relationship. After I had ended the relationship, I had stopped binge eating and finally got down to 130lbs from 145lbs..... I'm now back at 145lbs.... I was 119 lbs this time last year.... I am so ashamed with myself that I can't even look at myself naked. I can't even change in front of people anymore and I don't go out as much as before because my clothes have become tight. Unfortunately, I can't cover much up because it's pretty much summer all year round here in Oahu.

I don't know exactly how, but can someone PLEASE help me!?

I don't have anything in my house that I can't moderate. I broke this rule last week and it wasn't pretty. :s

Where are you with exercise these days and in the past? When I get regular exercise, I'm not as interested in getting high from food.

Why not get back in to therapy short term until you get things back under control?