Life with a young family

Options
Hello my fitness pal world...as a mother of 3 kids (4, 2 and 4mo) exhaustion, busyness, others eating habits and lack of me time are all factors that lead to failure to lose and be healthy. What are tips and tricks you use to stay on track?

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    When I had little kids, I worked out at night or early morning. It wasn't 6 days a week and it wasn't easy either. give yourself credit for getting a few workouts in each week!

To see progress, you gotta commit to 4 or 5 workouts a week though.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    when my wife is in the gym, i'm watching the kids...and visa versa. my wife and i value health and taking time for ourselves and also feel that eating well and getting regular exercise sets a good example for your 5 y.o. and 3 y.o.

we also make sure we get out and do "exercise" as a family as well...usually a family bike ride (kids ride in trailers and my eldest has one that he pedals), going on hikes, etc.

it is high priority for all of us to be out and active and to be eating well for the most part.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Take boys (4 and 6 months) with me to the gym's daycare 5 x week. Prep meals for myself in bulk while the little one naps and the older one is out playing.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Hello my fitness pal world...as a mother of 3 kids (4, 2 and 4mo) exhaustion, busyness, others eating habits and lack of me time are all factors that lead to failure to lose and be healthy. What are tips and tricks you use to stay on track?

Yes I get this.
    Logging what you eat: knowing your food intake/macro goals and logging/eating to meet them. This prevents me from eating for stress, comfort, boredom and going over my cals.

Knowing that I don't have to exercise off massive amounts of cals to lose weight, just walking and/or 20min of interval training.

I skewed my eating times so that I could help my family eat, but then have my own little mealtime, usually just before theirs. I found it hard to eat with everyone, I was always too busy at the table.

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom to 3 kids ages 5, 4 and 3. I utilize the gym daycare 2 nights a week for 1 hour each time and then workout on my home treadmill 2 mornings a week (Before my kids get up) and 2 nights a week once I put them to bed. I cook 3 major meals a week and eat leftovers or sandwiches in between. I steam veggies regularly and try to have them with every dinner and always have snack size desserts available for once my kids go to bed. :)
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have two boys under three, my youngest is seven months old. I also work part time evenings so rarely get time to myself in the evening.

For me it's a matter of being realistic and doing what I can. It doesn't have to be perfect. I eat anything as long as it fits in my calories. Usually I find eating the same as my eldest works well. Some days it's made from scratch, plenty fruit and veg, other days it's mcdonalds and sweets.

I'm active with the boys. I'll either take baby out in the pram for a long walk while my eldest is at play group in the morning or we all go out for walks together to the park, the zoo etc. I aim for 10k steps each day.

It's not perfect, but I lose doing this, and I can maintain this.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    @ARC1603 that's awesome, I admire that so much!
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I only have one little one (5mo) but I try to integrate her into my workouts. I do Mommy & Me Yoga. Yesterday I held her as I danced around the kitchen and worked up a sweat that way.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Only thing I can add is that I have 3 kids - 8,6, and 12 months. Eating habits - they eat what I eat. I find the healthy stuff, they tell me which ones are tasty and thats what we eat. exercise - they enjoy going on walks (especially when there is a treat at the end of it).
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

No, you don't. To lose weight, you need a caloric deficit. I lost 50 pounds with no exercise.

Exercise is fantastic for improving health and appearance. I have lifted for 2 years, 3 days a week. I have seen marked improvement in both.

OP, make a few small sustainable changes. Find a reasonable calorie goal and activity you like. Don't start anything that isn't sustainable long term and take your time getting where you are going.
  • lauriespitzig
    lauriespitzig Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your comments and suggestions!!!.... great to have feedback!!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids, 7,6,4,1.

I workout early am ( 5:30ish)....by the time its evening im usually too tired.

Also i joined a gym with childcare, which i use occasionally.

Calories are more important than gym time. I have to remind myself that often. The gym is important, but weightloss comes from the kitchen.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    When I had little kids, I worked out at night or early morning. It wasn't 6 days a week and it wasn't easy either. give yourself credit for getting a few workouts in each week!

Not true. You can lose weight without ever exercising. You just need a calorie deficit.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Four kids here, work and school. My youngest two are 10.5 months apart, and are one and two years old. Time management, a schedule, sticking to it are my tricks. Once I figured that out it all fell into place....
  • mxmakm
    mxmakm Posts: 1,166 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I completely understand being too busy for workouts. I have three young ones as well, 5, 2, and 11.7 months (she'll be 1 on Jan. 6th) and it is difficult at times but I usually squeeze in 20-30 minute workout videos on most nights after the two youngest go to bed and also have random workout spurts during the day like 1 minute of jumping jacks with 1 minute of squats, etc. where the kids like to jump in with me. I find it difficult to go for walks right now because I push the youngest in a stroller and the 2 year old is old enough to walk but not keep up well and gets distracted easily so we don't always make it the distance. It's also hard going out to play with the kids when the youngest can't do much so just focus on little amounts of exercise through the day just to keep me moving.

The most important thing to focus on is eating though. I had a hard time in the beginning because I usually ate the same thing as my kids and usually ended up eating their leftovers but I had to always remind myself don't eat unless you are hungry and try to choose better options when you can. It also helps to plan out ahead of time what you are going to eat throughout the day so you know if you can have an extra plate or need to skip the cookie at the end of the day. Of course, you can eat if you are still hungry and deviate from the plan if you need to, but it gives you a good idea of what your day looks like so you don't have to worry so much when you are quickly making yourself something if you don't have much time.

Just take it one day at a time and it eventually gets easier. I have been doing this since early April and have lost 40 pounds so far, which isn't too much considering how long I've been at it and my original goal was over 100 pounds but it is still better than what I would have been if I never started this. I had many, many bad days but I didn't give up and you shouldn't either.

ETA: Sorry for the very long essay! =)
  • lauriespitzig
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    I have 4 kids, 7,6,4,1.

I workout early am ( 5:30ish)....by the time its evening im usually too tired.

Also i joined a gym with childcare, which i use occasionally.

Calories are more important than gym time. I have to remind myself that often. The gym is important, but weightloss comes from the kitchen.

We have no gyms that have daycare! I would surely utilize that!!... I agree! I like that quote! Thanks!
  • lizetrombley
    lizetrombley Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have an 18 month old and work full time. he eats what we eat for the most part. Also work out at night when he goes to bed. Some nights i really have to push myself, but it is so worth it !
  • lauriespitzig
    Options
    mxmakm wrote: »
    I completely understand being too busy for workouts. I have three young ones as well, 5, 2, and 11.7 months (she'll be 1 on Jan. 6th) and it is difficult at times but I usually squeeze in 20-30 minute workout videos on most nights after the two youngest go to bed and also have random workout spurts during the day like 1 minute of jumping jacks with 1 minute of squats, etc. where the kids like to jump in with me. I find it difficult to go for walks right now because I push the youngest in a stroller and the 2 year old is old enough to walk but not keep up well and gets distracted easily so we don't always make it the distance. It's also hard going out to play with the kids when the youngest can't do much so just focus on little amounts of exercise through the day just to keep me moving.

The most important thing to focus on is eating though. I had a hard time in the beginning because I usually ate the same thing as my kids and usually ended up eating their leftovers but I had to always remind myself don't eat unless you are hungry and try to choose better options when you can. It also helps to plan out ahead of time what you are going to eat throughout the day so you know if you can have an extra plate or need to skip the cookie at the end of the day. Of course, you can eat if you are still hungry and deviate from the plan if you need to, but it gives you a good idea of what your day looks like so you don't have to worry so much when you are quickly making yourself something if you don't have much time.

Just take it one day at a time and it eventually gets easier. I have been doing this since early April and have lost 40 pounds so far, which isn't too much considering how long I've been at it and my original goal was over 100 pounds but it is still better than what I would have been if I never started this. I had many, many bad days but I didn't give up and you shouldn't either.

ETA: Sorry for the very long essay! =)

Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that!!! That's awesome! 40lbs is a lot!!! Good for you!! I appreciate everything you have shared! It will surely be trial and error....
  • karlis87
    karlis87 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have a 4,2, and 1 year old. I work out during nap time for the first year because getting up early or going to bed late when my baby is up multiple times a night just isn't reasonable for me. Now I work out after they all go to bed. I use a kickboxing video because that's what I like and now I know them all ( I have a collection) well enough that I watch a show while I do it which makes me look forward to it. But sometimes it's easier than others and some babies it's easier with than others. So just keep trying. I also track all my calories and don't eat it unless it goes in the app. Sometimes I decide not to eat it once I see how many calories it is. I don't worry about macros or nutrition because it's too stressful but I notice myself eating healthier over time because I want more food for my calories. Good luck. I lost 50 after my second in a year because he was a really easy baby. I'm still working on the weight from baby #3 and he just turned one.