Sardine people...

Options
124»

Replies

• dalielahdawn
    dalielahdawn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I just eat mine straight from the can with yellow mustard on them. :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I like them mashed with hard boiled eggs and then with buttered bread
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    Don't shop at either one, but I've bought boneless skinless Bar Harbor and King Oscar sardines. As they are doused in mayo and horseradish, I have no idea if they are good or not. :)
    So you can just mash them up like canned tuna? The bones aren't obvious?

Yes, they are boneless, so it's just like eating tuna when smushed. They are darker brown than the non-albacore tuna, so it doesn't look quite the same, and, to me, doesn't look nearly as appealing as tuna, but I'm sure that feeling will pass the longer I eat them.

Now everybody's got me thinking I should try them with bones in jalapeno and/or tomato sauce.
    For the sardine lovers: The 5 pack of Seasons brand from Costco is pretty tasty (and sustainably harvested).

Thanks for this info. I've looked for Seasons brand for the sustainably harvested feature, but they don't carry them in any grocery stores around here.

Since I've also never had an anchovie, for the same "yucky" factor as sardines, I believe I shall buy a can the next time I go shopping. :)
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I've never had anchovies because they're a little more expensive than sardines here. I can pick up HEB brand sardines for .64 cents or Beach Cliff for .88 cents vs the dollar+ I'd have to pay for anchovies.

The worst canned seafood I've tried was a can of expired crab (I didn't realize this at the time obviously).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Don't shop at either one, but I've bought boneless skinless Bar Harbor and King Oscar sardines. As they are doused in mayo and horseradish, I have no idea if they are good or not. :)
    So you can just mash them up like canned tuna? The bones aren't obvious?

Yes, they are boneless, so it's just like eating tuna when smushed. They are darker brown than the non-albacore tuna, so it doesn't look quite the same, and, to me, doesn't look nearly as appealing as tuna, but I'm sure that feeling will pass the longer I eat them.

Now everybody's got me thinking I should try them with bones in jalapeno and/or tomato sauce.
    For the sardine lovers: The 5 pack of Seasons brand from Costco is pretty tasty (and sustainably harvested).

Thanks for this info. I've looked for Seasons brand for the sustainably harvested feature, but they don't carry them in any grocery stores around here.

Since I've also never had an anchovie, for the same "yucky" factor as sardines, I believe I shall buy a can the next time I go shopping. :)
    Hope you can find Seasons brand. I sure like them!
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    "pasta con le sarde":
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/pasta-with-sardines-pasta-con-le-sarde-recipe.html
    (better with fresh sardines of course)

you can also use sardines instead of anchovies for a mild puttanesca
  • Jamr8231
    Jamr8231 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    They're delicious with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and EVOO in a salad.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Jamr8231 wrote: »
    They're delicious with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and EVOO in a salad.
    Yes they are.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    My favorite are the mustard ones and I eat them in saltine crackers
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    on a cracker with hot sauce.

This is how my husband eats them. (I don't care for them)

• Sunnysided1
    Sunnysided1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love sardines. They are not all the same though. Some have really great flavor and freshness. Others are nasty. Quality is usually related to price, brand, origin, etc. So do not judge all sardines by one brand.
    I grew up eating them with yellow mustard on saltine crackers. But I usually eat them straight out of the can.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    I eat them out of the can (if they're in tomato sauce) with rice. It's an Asian thing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Ritz cracker
    Cheez Whiz
    Sardines (also works great with canned oysters)
    Jalapeño slice
    Sriracha

Repeat.