Lower calorie Banana Muffins

Options
HollyLLillis
HollyLLillis Posts: 113 Member
Here is my recipe for Banana Muffins
original recipe each muffin was 224 calories each
my recipe each muffin is 119 calories each or 95 calories without the chocolate chips (but whos crazy enough to leave those out??)

3 large bananas (about 120 cal each)
1/2 cup Splenda (0 cal) **You can add more but I find that it will taste kinda funny if you add too much Splenda**
1 1/2 cups flour (about 700 cal)
3/4 cup egg beaters (90 cal)
4 tablespoons mini chocolate chips (70 cal in a tbsp)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder

Mash bananas and add eggbeaters and mix well, add Splenda, salt, baking soda, baking powder and mix well. Add flour 1/2 cup at a time mixing well after each. Add chocolate chips and mix well. Fill 12 muffin cups 3/4 of the way full. Bake at 325 for 35 minuets or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.:wink:

Replies

• fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    These sound delicious!! I'm baking some tonight! Thanks for the recipe! :)
  • rs2361
    rs2361 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    very excited to try these!
  • shelli1982
    shelli1982 Posts: 133
    Options
    yum.. these sound great, thanks for the recipe! I will be trying them soon!
  • HollyLLillis
    Options
    Your welcome!! Hope everyone likes them!!:drinker:
  • purpleg
    purpleg Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks! I hoped you'd put the recipe on :)
  • Lovelystrumpet
    Options
    Wow these really do sound amazing! I love baking, and try and make it as low fat/low carb/low calorie as possible, so deffo going to try these out!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Thank you =)
    Can't wait to make them!!!:bigsmile:
  • baddkitty187
    baddkitty187 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Mmm mmm sounds great, I often reduce the flour by a half a cup and add a half a cup of crushed old fashioned oats when I make muffins and breads, I'm making these this weekend!!!! Bump bump ;^)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Have you tried this recipe with self-rising flour. I usually use that instead of all-purpose.
  • HollyLLillis
    Options
    Have you tried this recipe with self-rising flour. I usually use that instead of all-purpose.

What's the difference between the two??
  • HollyLLillis
    Options
    Mmm mmm sounds great, I often reduce the flour by a half a cup and add a half a cup of crushed old fashioned oats when I make muffins and breads, I'm making these this weekend!!!! Bump bump ;^)

This sounds like a good way to fill in that flour!! I'll try it next time!! Thanks!:drinker:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

What's the difference between the two??

Self-rising doesn't require the baking powder, but some recipes don't work very well with it as a substitute.
  • baddkitty187
    baddkitty187 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

This sounds like a good way to fill in that flour!! I'll try it next time!! Thanks!:drinker:

Enjoy!!! I do this with my pancakes also, and I will be trying truvia in my banana muffins this wknd!!
  • jersey0725
    jersey0725 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That sounds very yummy. Can I use real sugar instead of splenda?
  • Yfalcon
    Options
    my recipe each muffin is 119 calories each or 95 calories without the chocolate chips (but whos crazy enough to leave those out??)

1/2 cup Splenda (0 cal) **You can add more but I find that it will taste kinda funny if you add too much Splenda**
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp baking powder

Mash bananas and add eggbeaters and mix well, add Splenda, salt, baking soda, baking powder and mix well. Add flour 1/2 cup at a time mixing well after each. Add chocolate chips and mix well. Fill 12 muffin cups 3/4 of the way full. Bake at 325 for 35 minuets or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.:wink:

woohooo..finally found the recipe :)...I forgot where I seen it till I decided to look on MFP..I cant wait to try it!
  • mindy2185
    Options
    bump
  • sharonhite2012
    sharonhite2012 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ashiggins
    ashiggins Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options

1 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp baking powder

Bump