Waking up hungry in the night.

Options
You read it right. My sleep has been disrupted in the middle of the night for months now. I'm 50 lbs overweight, trying to stay in my calorie goal, working 60+ hours a week, working out when I can, eating as best I can considering my situation.

I actually get hungry every 1/5-2 hours throughout my day. It wasn't until two nights ago that I figured out the reason I was waking in the middle of the night was that I was crazy hungry.

I ate a small snack before bed, slept the night through, and woke up ravenous.

What the heck am I supposed to do about this? Anyone. Please. Weightloss is becoming the impossible feat. I've dropped 40 lbs. I need to do the remaining 40-50.

Replies

• sarab920
    sarab920 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Put a bottle of water next to your bed, maybe that will help
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Is your calorie goal too aggressive?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    What stong curves said! Are you trying to lose weight too quickly?

Another question, what's your macro balance like? Are you getting enough protein and fiber to feel full?
  • Arsenal1919
    Arsenal1919 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Maybe, just maybe, try what worked for my neighbour.
    Eat an apple and drink a glass of water about every three hours.
    For her, the amazing impact was that she was hydrated and feeling full more of the time but lowered her net calorie intake by about 240 calories per day.
  • HillSlug98239
    HillSlug98239 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree with strong_curves - you may not be eating enough. Too many of us think 1200 calories is an appropriate amount for an adult woman.

You don't state what your bedtime snack is, so this may be what you're already doing. I recommend about an ounce of nuts. They have protein and healthy fats, both of which help you feel fuller.

I was training for an Olympic-distance triathlon last summer, and I started waking up after being asleep for a few hours - not unusual for a post-menopausal woman - and then I couldn't get back to sleep. It took awhile for me to figure out that happened most frequently after hard workout days. I started eating a snack when I woke up at 1:00 a.m., and I found that made it much easier to fall back asleep.

You've made some awesome progress. Give yourself some love for that. There could be a variety of reasons this is happening now. You'll figure it out, and you'll get right back on your path to success.
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm not recommending this or even know if it's a good idea, but sometimes when I get bad cravings at night I'll take a couple of alieve and I find within half an hour or so the cravings diminish long enough for me to get to sleep.

But I try to make sure I save enough calories from my day so that I can have a protein bar an hour or so before bed, I find the protein really curbs my appetite and allows me to sleep peacefully most nights.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    BuddhaB0y wrote: »
    I'm not recommending this or even know if it's a good idea, but sometimes when I get bad cravings at night I'll take a couple of alieve and I find within half an hour or so the cravings diminish long enough for me to get to sleep.

But I try to make sure I save enough calories from my day so that I can have a protein bar an hour or so before bed, I find the protein really curbs my appetite and allows me to sleep peacefully most nights.

Why would you take aleve when not in pain? Bad idea. You really shouldn't take NSAIDs for something like this, especially not on an empty stomach. It can increase the risk of bleeding.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    kelldoll wrote: »
    You read it right. My sleep has been disrupted in the middle of the night for months now. I'm 50 lbs overweight, trying to stay in my calorie goal, working 60+ hours a week, working out when I can, eating as best I can considering my situation.

I actually get hungry every 1/5-2 hours throughout my day. It wasn't until two nights ago that I figured out the reason I was waking in the middle of the night was that I was crazy hungry.

I ate a small snack before bed, slept the night through, and woke up ravenous.

What the heck am I supposed to do about this? Anyone. Please. Weightloss is becoming the impossible feat. I've dropped 40 lbs. I need to do the remaining 40-50.

Congrats on your weight loss so far! Is your goal still to lose 2 pounds per week? With 40-50 pounds left to lose, try setting your goal to 1 pound per week and enjoy those extra calories.

I hate waking up hungry. I like oatmeal made with 40 grams of rolled oats before bed. This stays with me through the night.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend eating a bit more calories throughout the day (or a bigger snack before bedtime), if you can still keep a deficit.

I've never had the problem of going to bed hungry before (or waking up hungry), but now it sometimes happens to me after I started with MFP. I think it's all to do with me eating too few calories or eating all my calories too early in the day. It sucks going to bed hungry...
  • bluenoser38
    bluenoser38 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I can empathize, Kelldoll. My husband calls me 'the hobbit'. If I don't eat regularly (breakfast, second breakfast, lunch, afternoonsies, supper and bedtime snack) I will be cranky, have low energy, and feel pain in my upper arm / shoulder area. If I don't have a bedtime snack, I will be hungry and have trouble sleeping through the night.

Sleep is incredibly important, and there is no reason for anyone to go to bed hungry (at least not in a 1st world country, where good food is readily accessible). Don't beat yourself up, just plan for a healthy bedtime snack that has a bit of protein in it to get you through the night.

I know there is a whole school of thought that says we shouldn't eat after 8pm, but this isn't a one size fits all journey. Half the challenge is finding an approach that fits into your life.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    What's your fat and protein intake look like in the evening? When I've had trouble with being a little hungry at night, I've added 100 calories of almonds at bedtime and it solved the problem.
  • HeidiThe9
    HeidiThe9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    What are you eating as small snack before bed? Maybe switching this to a high protein/ high fiber snack may keep you fuller longer. A hard boiled egg and a slice of avocado, peanut butter on apple slices, string cheese and almonds, a smoothie. A big glass of water will most likely help also.

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    OP please come back and tell us how many calories you're eating per day.
  • BuddhaB0y
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Why would you take aleve when not in pain? Bad idea. You really shouldn't take NSAIDs for something like this, especially not on an empty stomach. It can increase the risk of bleeding.

You don't consider severe hunger pangs to be pain? I didn't suggest to use it all the time, just when the pangs are so bad it's keeping you awake.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

You don't consider severe hunger pangs to be pain? I didn't suggest to use it all the time, just when the pangs are so bad it's keeping you awake.

Being hungry is not "pain" and not what the medication is designed for. Taking NSAIDS on an empty stomach increases the risk of GI bleeding, as does taking them more than needed.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Try having a glass of milk mixed with a scoop of casein before bed. Optimum nutrition does a yummy chocolate or choc/peanut butter flavour. Casein is high protein and slow digesting.

ETA: you can also add a TBS of chia seeds for extra protein, fibre and fat.
  • gmm40
    gmm40 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too often wake up at night feeling like I am starving. If I wake up in the middle of the night, I drink a cup of hot peppermint tea with a little honey. Most of the time the hunger passes and I sleep right through until morning. On some occasions though, I have taken a fiber pill at night before going to bed and that too makes me feel full and less hungry. I agree with the others that checking your calorie intake and resetting it could help.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    What's your fat and protein intake look like in the evening? When I've had trouble with being a little hungry at night, I've added 100 calories of almonds at bedtime and it solved the problem.

This works for me too. Sometimes I will drink 4 oz of heavy whipping cream right before I get my shower and go to bed. Last night it was 2 oz. of Philadelphia Cream Cheese.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I grab an 80 cal yogurt, make it last at least 15 minutes by taking super small bites and enjoy. Then go back to bed. Next day, plan your calories a little differently so you feel full through the night. It may take a while to adjust to your reduced calorie plan but you will and hunger will not be the problem it is now.
  • BuddhaB0y
    edited January 2016
    Options

Being hungry is not "pain" and not what the medication is designed for. Taking NSAIDS on an empty stomach increases the risk of GI bleeding, as does taking them more than needed.

Ok you are 100% right and you win the Internet for the day! Does that make you happy?

Please don't reply to any more of my posts.