Should I Quit MyFitnessPal? Please Help!

Options
I'm not a fan of calorie counting, at least, I wasn't in the past. But after finding out about carbohydrate, sugar, sodium, and fat limits on here, and realizing that it wasn't all about the number of calories you put in your body, I've been feeling a lot more at ease. The thing is though, I have this strange obsessive thing where if I start something at the beginning of a new year, my mind literally forbids me from not seeing it through to the end. So if at one point during 2016, I've decided that I just can't handle counting my calories anymore, my mind is going to explode with thoughts of failure and I'm going to end up hating myself more than I already do, which is saying something. I don't want to risk that. I want this upcoming year to be a new me, new lifestyle, new everything. I was actually considering just keeping a notepad diary, and writing down what I ate everyday and planned to eat every night, and I wouldn't count the calories. I've chosen to go a lot more clean this year. I've had EXTREMELY limited experiences as a vegan, and I always hoped I would return to that lifestyle when I can finally move out and away from the people I live with now, so I was hoping that this year, I would go - as I call it - 99.9% vegan. I would eat vegan, but I would also have seafood and certain types of chicken, but not all. No red meat, no more dairy (because I know what they do to cows to get that stuff). That way I'd not only be eating cleaner, and more healthy, low calorie food, but I'd also be preparing myself to go full on vegan in the future. But even if that was the case, do you still think I should keep this account and continue logging in my food? I also want to reset my streak back to the 1st day on January 1st if I end up staying. Any thoughts on everything above? Your feedback is HIGHLY APPRECIATED!!! ❤️❤️❤️

Replies

• jnunez1963
    jnunez1963 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think you should do what is best for you. However, what would be the worse thing that could happen, if OMG!!, you DID go over on calories one day. Would it really ruin an entire year of wonderful goals? The most successful people track! This is one of the best sites for it, in my opinion. If you feel better keeping a personal diary, do it. I believe in you!
  • dreadlifts
    dreadlifts Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Honestly, sometimes the counting of calories makes me go crazy... I also obsess over it.

I keep a written copy and one on MFP just for my own peace of mind :smiley:
  • idoltrainee
    idoltrainee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for both of your replies! They're so encouraging and understanding! Thank you! ❤️❤️
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You need to adjust your mentality.
    my mind is going to explode with thoughts of failure and I'm going to end up hating myself more than I already do, which is saying something.

this is problematic- you need to figure out how to love yourself and who you are now- in the body you have- and that has NOTHING to do with calorie counting- you're using the counting to quantify the level of hate you have for yourself- and that's just ... for lack of a better word- wrong.
    Not because it's unhealthy- but because calorie counting doesn't judge you- it is neither wrong nor right- it's just DATA.

Would you hate yourself if the hammer couldn't unscrew the nail? no- because the hammer is just a tool.

MFP- is simple a tool- not a measuring stick of success or failure- or love or hate- it's merely data.

If you can readjust your thinking and stop placing self worth in the red or black of the numbers you'll be okay. I would simultaneously be working on being kind to yourself and learning to love yourself as you are today- that doesn't mean you cant' want to change- but you have to love yourself as you are. Because no amount of body changes will fix that- you'll find yourself at goal weight and still unhappy if you don't.

If that means taking a break from MFP- fine- so be it- no one can answer that for you- but the counting itself isn't the issue. Just know that.

Good luck on your journey.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of calorie counting, at least, I wasn't in the past. But after finding out about carbohydrate, sugar, sodium, and fat limits on here, and realizing that it wasn't all about the number of calories you put in your body, I've been feeling a lot more at ease. The thing is though, I have this strange obsessive thing where if I start something at the beginning of a new year, my mind literally forbids me from not seeing it through to the end. So if at one point during 2016, I've decided that I just can't handle counting my calories anymore, my mind is going to explode with thoughts of failure and I'm going to end up hating myself more than I already do, which is saying something. I don't want to risk that. I want this upcoming year to be a new me, new lifestyle, new everything. I was actually considering just keeping a notepad diary, and writing down what I ate everyday and planned to eat every night, and I wouldn't count the calories. I've chosen to go a lot more clean this year. I've had EXTREMELY limited experiences as a vegan, and I always hoped I would return to that lifestyle when I can finally move out and away from the people I live with now, so I was hoping that this year, I would go - as I call it - 99.9% vegan. I would eat vegan, but I would also have seafood and certain types of chicken, but not all. No red meat, no more dairy (because I know what they do to cows to get that stuff). That way I'd not only be eating cleaner, and more healthy, low calorie food, but I'd also be preparing myself to go full on vegan in the future. But even if that was the case, do you still think I should keep this account and continue logging in my food? I also want to reset my streak back to the 1st day on January 1st if I end up staying. Any thoughts on everything above? Your feedback is HIGHLY APPRECIATED!!! ❤️❤️❤️

The bolded part is a problem that needs to be addressed before you make any other changes. Every day will not be perfect. It just won't. You need to be prepared for that and by the looks of it, you aren't. It's a process that is very much trial and error. Not getting it right every day does not make you a failure. Taking a calorie counting break does not make you a failure. You need to have realistic expectations.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    What, when, how and why you eat should never cause you stress. If tracking every calorie and obsessing over following a certain lifestyle causes you stress, you need to reevaluate why you are trying to conform to it.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    You should just quit.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to count calories then don't.

Just keep in mind that "clean" and "vegan" doesn't necessarily equal low calorie. It's all about portion control.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I also have written journals, gym workouts, running logs, while also using MFP. Things can get a little obsessive to say the least but it works for me. Bad days/weeks do happen, I just start over and try to get a new streak going. I have disappeared for weeks and the sun still shines the next day. Progress is ongoing and I try to improve everyday...am not going to win every battle but the key is to keep pushing forward.
    Do what is best for you, Vegan isn't for me but props to you for wanting to give it a go.
    Having an all or nothing approach can be a slippery slope though, so I would advise you to tone it down a bit. Guilt and hating yourself over setbacks aren't a good thing. Good luck
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP there are a lot of concerning statements in your post. Have you ever had an eating disorder, or talked to a professional about your compulsive drive for perfection?

Calorie counting and this program aren't for everyone. You can eat however you choose, and as long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight, but eating vegan (or 99.9% vegan as you indicated) is no guarantee that you will be in a calorie deficit. Nor is eating "clean", which is an arbitrary term that has different definitions for different people.

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " I have this strange obsessive thing where if I start something at the beginning of a new year, my mind literally forbids me from not seeing it through to the end."

So start it now and get the Beginning of the year Monkey off your back.

" I want this upcoming year to be a new me, new lifestyle, new everything."

Then do it. Nothing stopping you but you. Unless you don't want to, in which case do what you want.

It works this way. You live the life you want. You get the body you want. If you want something, you gotta work for it (or to change it if it is something you DON'T want). This tells you how much you want it (or not). If you don't want it (or hate it) enough, you won't do what's necessary to achieve it (or change it).

Strive for what you want and do what is necessary to achieve it or accept what you get. It is really up to you.

Good luck to you on the coming New Year. May you always know what you want and how to get it.
  • Caniac68
    Caniac68 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can only do what is best for you. About 4 years ago, I was about 40 pounds heavier than I am today. I spent the next two years exercising and tracking calories, dropped the weight and kept the weight off. At that time, I slowed down on my exercise but continued to count calories. Now...after a year of not doing either...I have gained 15 pounds back and decided I need to get back with the program of doing both exercise and caloric tracking. My suggestion is to use MFP as a guide. You don't have to be perfect with your tracking, just close so you have a guideline to follow. For me, it helps with making sure I am eating the right things, avoiding the garbage and keeping myself honest about why I am trying to get back into shape and stay that way. However, only you can truly answer your question: do some serious soul searching and good luck!
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options
    Maybe? I dunno.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    If I bluntly take your question as "should I quit" because you have a "strange obsessive thing" regarding the completion of things- I would not give up and use this as a way to work through your obsession. So, if you were to "give up" it would be a chance for you to see how to handle it and work through it. Having said that I do hope all the best for you to succeed. Nevertheless, unless you are going to go to a therapist to talk things through, I would suggest to take things head on. That's what I was advised by my CBT, anyway.... Good luck!!!!

Oh and if you were to not use MFP at all and found another way to achieve your goals, that's alright too. Whatever works for you. However, as previously said above, as a TOOL MFP is brilliant.
  • whaddupw8loss
    whaddupw8loss Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes why we quit certain things, such as weight loss techniques, is because we just get bored of it. Find ways to make it fun if you start seeing yourself not liking it anymore. I also find calorie counting does me in, cause it's the same old calorie intake day after day, and I'm too focused on the number of calories. So, one day I can eat 1200 calories, the next 1400 calories. However, I did this when I calorie counted, which I don't too often anymore. I may or may not jump back on it when I've decided it isn't going to be such an obsession for me. My first experience with calorie counting, I became anorexic. My second experience with calorie counting, I became a binge eater. I am losing weight without the calorie counting aspect of it, I still have a calorie deficit. I know a rough estimate of how many calories are going in each day, but I don't go as far as to obsess over it. Yesterday I decided to calorie count-I ended up eating everything around me. Thankfully, I only put on .3 of a pound, but I know I won't be doing that again anytime soon.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    ... So if at one point during 2016, I've decided that I just can't handle counting my calories anymore, my mind is going to explode with thoughts of failure and I'm going to end up hating myself more than I already do, which is saying something...

I think you may find that if you address this, the rest will fall into place.

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Your 99.9% vegan description wouldn't even be considered vegetarian if you eat chicken or fish. Just moderating whatever you eat (with proper portion sizes) may be helpful to find what is right for you. Calorie counting isn't for everyone, but if you do gain weight back, then you know you'll have to do something different.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    First of all, being vegan or vegetarian or "clean" or whatever doesn't necessarily result in weight loss or proper weight management. I eat very healthfully for the most part and I can still put on weight because I'm capable of eating a lot of food...you can get fat off of healthy, nutritious foods just as you can off of junk foods.

I also know a few vegetarians and one vegan...none of them have the best diets from a nutritional standpoint...there are plenty of vegtearian and vegan foods that aren't nutritious...one of my friends practically lives off of veggie burgers, bags of potato chips, french fries, and soda.

Beyond that, being vegan is a moral stance that goes well beyond diet. Vegans don't consume or use any products which have been derived from animals...meaning they don't eat it, don't wear it, don't buy leather couches, etc...
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

I would think that quitting just before a major diet change would be a bad idea. If you don't like logging long term, it seems to me that using the logging to figure out the basics of the new diet plan would make more sense. Looking at it from both a nutritional and calorie sense, you have to know what waters you are diving into with the changes. If you are already real familiar with those things, then ending the logging sooner might work just fine.

Really a (human) scale and some self control can manage weight if you use the numbers properly. Beyond that, do what works for you to keep yourself motivated.

But if thoughts of failure mean being angry at yourself for missing a day of logging, then just don't set that as a goal. Log when you want, and when you feel it has some use. Don't log when you don't feel like it. Missing a few data points isn't failure if you are still reaching your goals.