Do I NEED to go low carb to lose weight?

Options
Hi all, so I haven't been very consistent using MFP but I'm going to try again. I need your help because i really don't know what I'm doing with regards to nutrition.

Rice is such a massive part of my diet especially since my background is south Asian. And to cut out rice, bread pasta etc is really proving to be difficult. I have so much weight to lose and it's so demotivating that nothing is going.

Any south Asians out there that can help me?
And is low carb healthy for the body? I've noticed it really impacts me and that's another reason why I'm not keen on going low carb.

Hope someone can help!

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to cut out the carbs. Weight loss is all about eating less calories than you burn. Just make sure you weigh your rice out before cooking to be more accurate with the portion size.
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm Asian. I don't low carb, but I've successfully substituted cauliflower 'rice' for regular rice. http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-cauliflower-rice-couscous-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-203344
    Weighing out portion sizes for rice really helps. You can also try substituting with a more nutritious grain or one that's lower in calories, like maybe brown rice, or quinoa. Then you get carbs but also the protein from the quinoa etc. For bread, I consider chapati pretty nutritious, you can make it with chickpea flour or some kind of whole wheat flour.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    You do not need to cut out carbs from your diet. Just try and eat healthier versions of it, like brown rice or quinoa, integral bread... The important thing to lose weight is calories in vs calories out. As long as you are aware of how much calories you are eating and burning, you should lose weight without restricting your self.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Short of a medical condition, there is no need to go low carb, it's a preference thing, and it doesn't sound like it would work for you.

Sustained weight loss is 100% about calories in vs calories out.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I am high carb. But I pick healthier carbs like plain oatmeal, sweet potatoes, beans, whole grains. It's all about calories..... all about calories. So, start logging your food.
    You have got to try Quinoa !
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat much smaller portions of the rice and bread. You can do this!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    RTH65 wrote: »
    Hi all, so I haven't been very consistent using MFP but I'm going to try again. I need your help because i really don't know what I'm doing with regards to nutrition.

Rice is such a massive part of my diet especially since my background is south Asian. And to cut out rice, bread pasta etc is really proving to be difficult. I have so much weight to lose and it's so demotivating that nothing is going.

And is low carb healthy for the body? I've noticed it really impacts me and that's another reason why I'm not keen on going low carb.

Hope someone can help!

The bold is a large part of the problem, not carbs. If you discover that low carb is how you successfully cut calories, then ok.

As someone that does very low carb, you can't just "sort of" do it. You either need to do it or don't. It sounds like you don't want to do it, so don't. You can cut back carbs, if you feel the need, but it's not required to lose weight. A calorie deficit is required to lose weight. Cutting back carbs is just one way to do it.

Be consistent with your measuring and logging. That will give you an idea of where you can make small cuts. Sometimes, that's all that's necessary. If you make the necessary cuts to your calories and you still don't lose, that's likely a medical issue and you should see a doctor.

I'm a fan of lab work as a baseline. Sometimes, you can have a nutrient deficiency that can negatively impact weight loss. If you start with a baseline set of blood work, you can also see improvements as your diet and health improve, because the scale number isn't the only measure of success.

Good luck.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I'm not Asian but I have a huge appetite for carbs since...forever. I eat white rice at almost every work day meal and losing weight just fine! Portion control is everything. I make one serving if rice and mix it with one serving of non starch veggies plus one serving of protein like egg or meat. Top it with a low calorie sauce like salsa or homemade mushroom sauce (water, mushrooms, seasonings, cook down until it thickens). Fills me up til my next meal. 1 serving if rice doesn't look like a lot by itself but once you bulk it with the veggies it will fill you up!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Unless you've been advised to lower carbs by a Dr. then you don't need to. But, most people find protein and fat more satiating than carbs. I eat a lot of carbs but I make sure to eat protein with them (usually). And I set a high fiber goal because fiber really helps keep me full for a long time. I like to add ground flax seed to rice dishes to up the fiber content.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes down to calories not carbs.
    Low carb has its place, for example some people with medical conditions benefit from a lower carb diet. But it's absolutely not necessary for weight loss.
    I lost all my weight and have been maintaining my goal weight for 2+ yrs so far while eating carbs. Carbs don't cause people to gain weight or not lose weight. That's a myth.
    For weight loss all you need is a calorie deficit . eat less then you burn and you'll lose weight. Get yourself a food scale, learn how to weigh and log you foods.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    No you do not have to go low carb, but you could if you want to. In order to lose weight, you just have to eat at a calorie deficit, no matter what you're eating

Rice is actually something I consume very often, and found easy to moderate. I bought a single cup rice cooker from Amazon and cook 1/4 cup or 49g of rice at a time, and use it for meals however I need to. Once that serving is gone, I'm not waiting 30 minutes to boil a new batch, so. I've even done the packaged seasoned rice that makes about three servings at once and have been doing fairly well with that, too

No need to eliminate any food - eat what you like, but you'll need to figure out how to do it all at a deficit, in order to lose weight
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »

Hope someone can help!

The bold is a large part of the problem, not carbs. If you discover that low carb is how you successfully cut calories, then ok.

As someone that does very low carb, you can't just "sort of" do it. You either need to do it or don't. It sounds like you don't want to do it, so don't. You can cut back carbs, if you feel the need, but it's not required to lose weight. A calorie deficit is required to lose weight. Cutting back carbs is just one way to do it.

Be consistent with your measuring and logging. That will give you an idea of where you can make small cuts. Sometimes, that's all that's necessary. If you make the necessary cuts to your calories and you still don't lose, that's likely a medical issue and you should see a doctor.

I'm a fan of lab work as a baseline. Sometimes, you can have a nutrient deficiency that can negatively impact weight loss. If you start with a baseline set of blood work, you can also see improvements as your diet and health improve, because the scale number isn't the only measure of success.

Good luck.

this is pretty on point.

The only thing I would sort of side eye is- the 'do it or don't" bit. Only because When I'm cutting I do low carbish- but not for keto- mostly for controlling calories- they are just calorie heavy- but I still eat them. If you're trying to go keto- then yes- it's a "do it or don't"
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    No. You simply have to eat less calories than you burn. The MFP food diary is set up that way and it's simple.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Nope! all you need to do is eat less calories than you burn.
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm asian too. I find alternatives...sweet potato. Brown jasmine rice. Quinoa. You don't have to cut carbs out completely. Just eat it moderately in smaller portion.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    MVY_ wrote: »
    I'm asian too. I find alternatives...sweet potato. Brown jasmine rice. Quinoa. You don't have to cut carbs out completely. Just eat it moderately in smaller portion.

sweet potatoes are carbs -I don't understand what you're saying
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Hope someone can help!

Good luck.

this is pretty on point.

The only thing I would sort of side eye is- the 'do it or don't" bit. Only because When I'm cutting I do low carbish- but not for keto- mostly for controlling calories- they are just calorie heavy- but I still eat them. If you're trying to go keto- then yes- it's a "do it or don't"

Yeah, could have worded that better. I meant "do it or don't" for a keto level of low carb. For lower carb, as in lower than SAD, whatever works. Keto is pretty much all in.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Hope someone can help!

Good luck.

this is pretty on point.

Yeah, could have worded that better. I meant "do it or don't" for a keto level of low carb. For lower carb, as in lower than SAD, whatever works. Keto is pretty much all in.

I kind of felt like that's what you were saying- but just wanted to be clear :)

But I consider myself low-carbish- only again- b/c carbs = $$$$ in terms of calories- so when cutting they go away other than ice cream LOL
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    you need to be consistent....you don't need to low carb. be consistent and manage your portions of everything appropriately.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Unless you've been advised to lower carbs by a Dr. then you don't need to. But, most people find protein and fat more satiating than carbs. I eat a lot of carbs but I make sure to eat protein with them (usually). And I set a high fiber goal because fiber really helps keep me full for a long time. I like to add ground flax seed to rice dishes to up the fiber content.

Actually, medical literature typically finds that fat is the least sating (protein being the most) leaving carbohydrate in-between. url="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8475895"]ref[/url

On the other hand, if you control for calorie density, then fat versus carbohydrate show no significant difference. url="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10721887"]ref[/url. Fat is least sating because it is the most energy dense, but it's the overall energy density that matters most in terms of satiety.