Spot me Breh!

Options
13»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    how do you spot someone on a deadlift???????????

Awkwardly.

Super-awkwardly.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I feel like that makes sense. I just feel bad because even though I used the squat rack and dropped the bar on the safeties when I failed a rep, people still stared at me and shook their heads. I was like "wtf am I doing wrong?!?" Plus I'm not used to being in a squat rack. There is something so comforting about having space to squat and the safeties--while there to help you drop the bar safely-- make me feel like I am not going to make the lift.

Ahh. Understand why you might feel uncomfortable but it does strike it odd for me that anyone would care at that point. It's not like you are doing clean and presses then letting the bar drop to the ground from shoulder height so it would bounce off the floor and you catch it again near waist height... Yes, I've seen that at the commercial gym with all of the "don't drop weights" signs, which are also near the put stuff away type of signs that some also don't follow. Though sometimes we think other people are judging us when they may not even be noticing us at all. I look around at the gym all of the time but in my head are random thoughts, plans of things I want to work on and the occasional novel idea.

It does help to know how to fail but the personal preference will play a factor. The safeties make you feel more likely to fail, so that might be an issue. For others, they help so they don't worry about fail. There are going to be variables.

Keep on pushing it.

As for benching, I wouldn't mind a lift off cause my arms are short and feels like I get out of position from getting the bar. Other than that, no touchy. I'm also only lifting around 100 lbs and have just set the bar down on my chest (failed at 115 last time) when I couldn't make the lift, then moved it away from there cause no spotter. Even when I go to coworker's gym with her, I end up lifting alone without assistance. Just how things end up. Finding the right spotter, or gym buddy, isn't easy. At least we get some funny youtube videos on the topic out of the situations.
  • dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I only really ask for a spot if it's something that I haven't attempted and not sure if I'm gonna fail. I have learned how to fail but would rather have someone there just incase I drop it on my neck. Squats isn't as big a deal as I mastered failing squats in my noob yolo days when I didn't know my limits lol.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I might go back to retro today--blegh-- and consider these when squatting in their squat racks. I was taught to bail WITHOUT any safeties or in a cage. So therefore NOT dropping the bar on purpose; I just let my hips extend slightly and let drop like so:
    This is how I have been accustomed to bailing with testing my 1rm so squat rack is an entirely different ball game.

As for bench presses, I for sure am always gonna need help on the lift off because little arms means it's harder for me to do on my own, especially when I build up the weights. Now I just need to be more direct with my spotters and be like "only put your hands on the bar if I am definitely going to get stuck under; otherwise, just let me get the lock out and let me do the work please."
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I might go back to retro today--blegh-- and consider these when squatting in their squat racks. I was taught to bail WITHOUT any safeties or in a cage. So therefore NOT dropping the bar on purpose; I just let my hips extend slightly and let drop like so:

This is how I have been accustomed to bailing with testing my 1rm so squat rack is an entirely different ball game.

As for bench presses, I for sure am always gonna need help on the lift off because little arms means it's harder for me to do on my own, especially when I build up the weights. Now I just need to be more direct with my spotters and be like "only put your hands on the bar if I am definitely going to get stuck under; otherwise, just let me get the lock out and let me do the work please."

That video isn't working on mobile but from your description I'm fairly certain you're dropping your weights like a crazy person and I would stare and shake my head too. STAHP IT. Last time I failed a squat in the rack the guy in the next rack didn't even notice, it was so quiet.
  • maranarasauce93
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

That video isn't working on mobile but from your description I'm fairly certain you're dropping your weights like a crazy person and I would stare and shake my head too. STAHP IT. Last time I failed a squat in the rack the guy in the next rack didn't even notice, it was so quiet.

Idk maybe I'm just being paranoid or maybe they're shaking my head at how I scream obscenities after failing a rep. Either way, I feel like I'm doing the safe thing rather than trying to force the rep and then failing with the bar rolling on my neck ouch!

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    BoiNeezy wrote: »
    I always keep my hands on bar when spotting without helping with lift rather be safe then sorry bud people die from weights dropping on them

You are the spotter that everyone hates

Truth.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Walks out muttering kegels and wtf is that chinny-chin-chin thing
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I always keep my hands on bar when spotting without helping with lift rather be safe then sorry bud people die from weights dropping on them

Truth.

Maybe it's a strategy to avoid ever being asked to spot again. If so, there's a touch of genius to it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Having a spotter on squats, even for 1rm, will depend on personal preference and equipment. Many gyms have signs every where that say don't drop the weights (not that everyone follows the advice of the signs). I do my tests without a spotter as I find having someone right up behind me to be far too uncomfortable and distracting. I just squat in either the power cage or squat rack where there are safeties. I failed at 200 last time I tested and the weights didn't drop to the floor as the safety part of the rack caught the bar. If equipment with the safeties in place isn't available, then it might be a different story as to how you would need to bail or need a spotter to handle it when unable to complete a lift.

I feel like that makes sense. I just feel bad because even though I used the squat rack and dropped the bar on the safeties when I failed a rep, people still stared at me and shook their heads. I was like "wtf am I doing wrong?!?" Plus I'm not used to being in a squat rack. There is something so comforting about having space to squat and the safeties--while there to help you drop the bar safely-- make me feel like I am not going to make the lift.

If people are looking at you and you are drawing that much attention when you drop the bar to the safety bars, you might be...doing it wrong? I mean. Make sure the safety bars are at the right height and the bar will just tap down onto it. I failed the other day and the guy next to me was complimenting me on my squat depth...as the bar was lying on the safeties. I told him thanks but pointed toward the bar. He didn't even noticed I had just failed.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Having a spotter on squats, even for 1rm, will depend on personal preference and equipment. Many gyms have signs every where that say don't drop the weights (not that everyone follows the advice of the signs). I do my tests without a spotter as I find having someone right up behind me to be far too uncomfortable and distracting. I just squat in either the power cage or squat rack where there are safeties. I failed at 200 last time I tested and the weights didn't drop to the floor as the safety part of the rack caught the bar. If equipment with the safeties in place isn't available, then it might be a different story as to how you would need to bail or need a spotter to handle it when unable to complete a lift.

If people are looking at you and you are drawing that much attention when you drop the bar to the safety bars, you might be...doing it wrong? I mean. Make sure the safety bars are at the right height and the bar will just tap down onto it. I failed the other day and the guy next to me was complimenting me on my squat depth...as the bar was lying on the safeties. I told him thanks but pointed toward the bar. He didn't even noticed I had just failed.

Yeah I don't lift heavy, but just wanted to point out for anyone who didn't get a chance to watch both videos that her video was extremely different from the swearing bro video that was posted earlier. In the OP's linked video, the guy basically jumps forward and out from under the bar and lets it fall backwards and land where it may. That seems like it would create a ton of noise when using the safeties, compared to what you've just described. Personally I'd be concerned about damaging equipment too when letting it slam and possibly bounce like that, but that may be due to my limited knowledge of this equipment
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Truth.

Maybe it's a strategy to avoid ever being asked to spot again. If so, there's a touch of genius to it.

In that case, he should also scream "IT'S ALL YOU, BRO!!!" and "C'MON, ONE MORE!!!" while grunting as he strains to curl the bar. Bonus points for flying spittle and his junk positioned unnecessarily close to the lifter's forehead.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Yeah I don't lift heavy, but just wanted to point out for anyone who didn't get a chance to watch both videos that her video was extremely different from the swearing bro video that was posted earlier. In the OP's linked video, the guy basically jumps forward and out from under the bar and lets it fall backwards and land where it may. That seems like it would create a ton of noise when using the safeties, compared to what you've just described. Personally I'd be concerned about damaging equipment too when letting it slam and possibly bounce like that, but that may be due to my limited knowledge of this equipment

Bailing with and without safety bars in play are two very different methods. Without safety bars, it's imperative that you get your body from under the oath of the bar. With them, you can guide the bar to the safety bars while remaining under and controlling it.

(And with bumper plates and proper flooring, bailing without safety bars will be quieter...and also likely less noticeable because with bumpers and proper flooring, it's likely others are dropping frequently anyhow.)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »

I was gonna go with, "the spotter that I don't even try to get it off my chest, so that you have to curl it all yourself."

But that's just me.

lol- who was here a while back- I can't remember- but he pulled a bicep trying to be a nice guy helping "spot" someone who couldn't do one rep. ridiculous.

That was Frank (frnknlft, or something like that).
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Idk maybe I'm just being paranoid or maybe they're shaking my head at how I scream obscenities after failing a rep. Either way, I feel like I'm doing the safe thing rather than trying to force the rep and then failing with the bar rolling on my neck ouch!

Watch what happens with the bar in that video you linked. No - not the safe thing.
  • maranarasauce93
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Bailing with and without safety bars in play are two very different methods. Without safety bars, it's imperative that you get your body from under the oath of the bar. With them, you can guide the bar to the safety bars while remaining under and controlling it.

(And with bumper plates and proper flooring, bailing without safety bars will be quieter...and also likely less noticeable because with bumpers and proper flooring, it's likely others are dropping frequently anyhow.)

Yes you understand thank you! I am very used to squatting with bumper plates so that makes the bail much more quiet. And for the guy telling me to adjust the safeties: I can't as I have been using one of those crappy Startrec squat racks. If anyone knows about these things, they are the worst.

Also, if I go back to a globo again, I need to start blocking the mirrors because they ruin my squats. But that's a different story for a different day.