How did you fare over the holidays?

Options
2»

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    What was your original plan going into the holidays?
    My plan was to stay on my diet as it was. My doctor's plan was to increase my calories to maintenance.

What did you actually do?
    I increased my calories closer to maintenance, because I don't really have a choice except to do what the doc says.

Did you gain, lose, or maintain?
    I've lost 4lbs since Thanksgiving. I should have lost 10 if I'd maintained my deficit.

What are you going to do now that the holidays are (pretty much) over?
    My doctor has me in maintenance until May 1st, so that's what I'll do. I want to keep losing, but I knew the last 50-75lbs would be over 2 years.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    What was your original plan going into the holidays?To enjoy myself and maintain my weight
    What did you actually do? Enjoyed myself.
    Did you gain, lose, or maintain? Plan was to maintain, but I actually lost 2 lbs.
    What are you going to do now that the holidays are (pretty much) over? Trying to maintain a weight range of 121.5 lbs - 126.5 lbs.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    What was your original plan going into the holidays? Go hog wild Christmas day onwards being mindful of what that means exactly for me now within the parameters of my new habits. Was going to work out Boxing Day(day after Christmas here in the UK). Not log From Christmas day until the Sunday.
    What did you actually do? Did not go hog wild. Had no seconds of main dinner or pudding. Ate slightly larger portions the following three days and a box of chocolates. Didn't log. Did not work out until the Sunday but still hit 3 work outs that week so all good.
    Did you gain, lose, or maintain? 2lbs over usual fluctuations but it's likely just water due to increased carbs and sodium.
    What are you going to do now that the holidays are (pretty much) over? Got back to it Monday as planned. Have banked some calories for tomorrow so plan to be in my usual deficit this week.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I lost some ounces. I planned on being in a small deficit or at maintenance.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

Maintain current weight if possible. Adjusted my goal to a .5 pound per week loss but allowed myself to go over to maintenance. I planned to fully enjoy all of the goodies but continue to log and keep an eye on things.

Pretty much the above. I ate a lot of cookies. :)

I gained 6 pounds. Took of two this past week so currently up 4 pounds.

What are you going to do now that the holidays are (pretty much) over?
    I set my weight loss goal back to 2 pounds a week. All of the high calorie treats are gone. Time to get back to the business of losing weight.

I have no regrets. Even with the gain I am 30 pounds lighter than I was last spring and 40 pounds lighter than I was this time a year ago. Looking to lose 40 more by this time next year.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    What was your original plan going into the holidays? To enjoy myself within reason.
    What did you actually do? Ate everything in sight! I tried to only splurge on "high value" foods I prefer. Like cheese.
    Did you gain, lose, or maintain? Gained four pounds! :|
    What are you going to do now that the holidays are (pretty much) over? I need to start running again (hopefully the snow will taper off soon) and just get back to tracking.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    sign up for a marathon taking place January 17th and you wont have any issues gaining during the holidays lol
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Cheese! I did not eat any cheese at all. This is a gross festive oversight. Thankfully I live very close to a delightful cheese shop where I can correct this wrong quite swiftly. I feel a cheese binge coming on.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I worked really hard in late November and early December to accommodate to many expected meals, parties, snacks that were coming our way. Late December was tough, but at least all the hard work gave me some leeway and I am still in my acceptable window (about a 7 lb range I allow myself).
    Now to get back to a routine !
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My plan was to eat what ever I wanted and just stop when I was full. I lost a pound each week from Thanksgiving until now.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    Plan: Eat at maintenance on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and keep in a deficit all other days while staying active. Not worry too much about macros because carbs.

What happened: Exactly that.

Result: Lost nearly 5 pounds (weekly weigher) and a total of 15ish since right before Thanksgiving.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I got sick over Christmas and lost 5 pounds then gained 2 back. So all in all down 3 pounds...silver lining.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Original plan from Thanksgiving thru New Years was to " maintain not gain" by enjoying holiday treats and special meals in moderation, logging faithfully even on the extravagant days, and making time to get some exercise at least twice a week.

I went to three big parties and took a sensible dish to each one so I wouldn't have to worry about the "nothing I can eat" problem.

I have actually lost two lbs since Thanksgiving. I'm looking forward and to a New Year's Eve party with friends who are also health- and calorie-conscious, with a big taco and salad bar and some light champagne at midnight!

And the spouse is already planning light versions (and portions) of traditional New Years dishes (blackened peas, pork, cabbage, and tamales) for New Years day.
  • cmoll520
    cmoll520 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    We had a number of big meals (with more to come) between all of our families. My plan was to. It stress about food but to continue to log and try to stay active. Luckily the weather cooperates and I got out for long walks or to the gym most days. My eating was not great- food at my grandma's house was just so tasty. We just got back so I'll know what the damage was tomorrow. I'm not too stressed and would be fine with a 1-2lb gain. I've maintained well since August/sept and know I can easily get back to 127/128.
  • ktvalerio
    ktvalerio Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I started eating more healthy on November 3 and today am down 10.6 pounds. My goal is 40, so I'm 25% of the way there. Now to keep this up for most of 2016! I ate what I wanted on Christmas Eve during our celebration, but was back on track by Saturday.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

This month I just wanted to maintain. I had my daughter's bday as well as Christmas Eve dinner, and of course Christmas dinner to navigate. Planned to stick with low carb between the special occassions, and go ahead and indulge on the special days.

I pretty well did what I set out to do, there was more cake leftover after my daughter's party than I anticipated, so I did have an extra slice or two in the days that followed, but it didn't do too much damage. Christmas Eve dinner had me up a couple lbs, but then a little humbug (okay, a big humbug - norovirus) took hold of my household Christmas Day. Fortunately I only got a mild case, but between taking care of everyone else (3/4 of my children got it a well as my husband) and serving tea, ginger ale, and toast on Christmas rather than the planned ham dinner, those couple lbs come back off in a hurry. We did have the ham dinner Monday, but I just skipped the carby sides in favor of extra veggies.

Was 159.0 lbs on December 1, down to 156.2 this morning.

What are you going to do now?

For New Year's Eve I always make Chinese food, and will go ahead and enjoy it, along with some bourbon (and champagne at midnight of course). I'll definitely be up a lb or two Jan 1, but I know it will come off within a day or two. Then it will be time to get serious about the last 11 lbs to get to goal.