Why are my thighs getting bigger?

Okay, I work out about 6 times a week. I'm on the elliptical machine for about 20 minutes and I do a 10 minute inner thigh workout. I also add a 1 minute wall sit sometimes in my routine. The outer part of my thighs look slightly thinner, but my inner thighs look bigger?? Maybe bigger than when I starting working out in the first place?(I might be exaggerating tho, I don't remember.) Also, when I go to work, I'm on my feet for the whole time. Why are my thighs looking bigger? Is it my diet? Or am I overworking my thighs? Today, I didn't do my inner thigh workout because I feel like it's not really working. :/ Thanks.

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Are they really getting bigger? Have you measured your thighs with a tape measure? That kind of workout doesn't make your thighs bigger, are you eating at a surplus?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Are you eating at a surplus? Are you using a food scale ?
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    edited December 2015
    I remember when I used to use the elliptical I had the same problem. Hence I stopped using it and just stuck with running. I tend to build muscle easily (or so it looks- I've always been bulkier and more muscly (is that a word? lol) than other women in my arm and shoulders) and the elliptical and leg machines definitely helps to build leg muscle.... How long have you been doing these workouts for? Is it a new thing or has it been a while? Maybe you are building muscle. But as one other said, I'd take measurements..sometimes looks can be deceiving.

To add, I just did a ton of squats and lunges two days ago and yesterday and today my thighs have looked bulkier and my inner thighs are touching a lot when they usually don't. So I know what you're feeling! Since I haven't done squats in a while, I think it's just muscle swelling or water retention? If you're new to your workouts maybe that's the case for you too?

Edit again, I just found this online: "Muscles begin to swell about two hours after exercise. Swelling peaks on the fourth day, then gradually subsides, returning to normal seven to eleven days after a workout."
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    If she is truly eating at a deficit its extremely doubtful she's building muscle on an elliptical.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    measure, looks can be totally deceiving.
    How are your pants fitting? That usually lets me know when I have made significant gains or losses.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    edited December 2015
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    If she is truly eating at a deficit its extremely doubtful she's building muscle on an elliptical.

True. It could be she's eating at a surplus. That's why I'm curious whether these workouts are a new thing (in which case it's probably swelling) or if she's been doing them for a while and therefore it's either fat gain or muscle gain.
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    janjunie wrote: »
    Are they really getting bigger? Have you measured your thighs with a tape measure? That kind of workout doesn't make your thighs bigger, are you eating at a surplus?

I haven't measured my thighs since working out these months. Maybe I should! When you say, "eating at surplus" do you mean eating over my calorie goal? If so, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. My calorie goal is 1200, but sometimes I'm hungrier than other days. :D
  • LUHAN27

I don't measure my food on a scale, but when you say "surplus" do you mean eating over calorie goal? My calorie goal is 1200. sometimes I eat over it, depends on the day. :D
  • LUHAN27
    edited December 2015
    kellyb28 wrote: »
    I remember when I used to use the elliptical I had the same problem. Hence I stopped using it and just stuck with running. I tend to build muscle easily (or so it looks- I've always been bulkier and more muscly (is that a word? lol) than other women in my arm and shoulders) and the elliptical and leg machines definitely helps to build leg muscle.... How long have you been doing these workouts for? Is it a new thing or has it been a while? Maybe you are building muscle. But as one other said, I'd take measurements..sometimes looks can be deceiving.

To add, I just did a ton of squats and lunges two days ago and yesterday and today my thighs have looked bulkier and my inner thighs are touching a lot when they usually don't. So I know what you're feeling! Since I haven't done squats in a while, I think it's just muscle swelling or water retention? If you're new to your workouts maybe that's the case for you too?

Edit again, I just found this online: "Muscles begin to swell about two hours after exercise. Swelling peaks on the fourth day, then gradually subsides, returning to normal seven to eleven days after a workout."

That's my exact problem! I have bulky thighs to begin with; when I gain weight, most of it goes to my thighs and lower abs. I've been working on the elliptical machine regularly since, maybe after thanksgiving? I worked out everyday, and only recently started giving myself "break days/rest days". Maybe I should measure my thighs. lol :D

I've been using the eliptical machine(in general) for over a year or two. I've stopped for some months, and only started working out on it again recently. The first few months I did it(last year), I've seen some change and even went down a pants size! Now my legs are looking bulky again

I hope this is only temporary, because my thighs keep touching. :(
  • LUHAN27
    measure, looks can be totally deceiving.
    How are your pants fitting? That usually lets me know when I have made significant gains or losses.

They fit the same and look the same. :( It's crazy, right!
  • LUHAN27

True. It could be she's eating at a surplus. That's why I'm curious whether these workouts are a new thing (in which case it's probably swelling) or if she's been doing them for a while and therefore it's either fat gain or muscle gain.

You can gain fat on your thighs from working out? :open_mouth: Or does that come from your diet?
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    I'd recommend getting a food scale. Eyeballing can work for some, but you very well could still be eating more than you think you are. I did pretty well with eyeballing, but started weighing my foods so that I could get used to it sooner rather than later.
  • janjunie
    A surplus means eating over your maintenance calories, don't know your weight or height so that would be something u would have to figure out on your own. Eating 1200 calories is a defict for everyone (mostly) but if you aren't measuring and weighing your food with a food scale then you don't truly know how much you are eating
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    LUHAN27 wrote: »

I don't measure my food on a scale, but when you say "surplus" do you mean eating over calorie goal? My calorie goal is 1200. sometimes I eat over it, depends on the day. :D

Surplus is over your maintenance calories. That 1200 is your deficit. You can likely eat a fair amount over that before going to surplus, especially if you are working out. If you are not weighing your food on a scale, you are likely eating more than you realize.

You can gain fat on your thighs from working out? :open_mouth: Or does that come from your diet?

Fat gain comes from eating too much.
  • LUHAN27
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    I'd recommend getting a food scale. Eyeballing can work for some, but you very well could still be eating more than you think you are. I did pretty well with eyeballing, but started weighing my foods so that I could get used to it sooner rather than later.

Is using a food scale similar to using a measuring cup? Or is a food scale more accurate? I've seen food scales before, but never thought that I'd be eating more than I think! Especially since I use a measuring cup at times. :)
  • LUHAN27
    A surplus means eating over your maintenance calories, don't know your weight or height so that would be something u would have to figure out on your own. Eating 1200 calories is a defict for everyone (mostly) but if you aren't measuring and weighing your food with a food scale then you don't truly know how much you are eating

Thank you for the explanation! :) I didn't know a food scale was an important object in weight loss/calories. I thought that my measuring cup/eating smaller portions would work, but maybe I should invest in a food scale!
  • LUHAN27
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Surplus is over your maintenance calories. That 1200 is your deficit. You can likely eat a fair amount over that before going to surplus, especially if you are working out. If you are not weighing your food on a scale, you are likely eating more than you realize.

Thank you for the answers! :) I think I'll consider getting a food scale!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

It's well worth it. I was so sad when I realized how tiny an actual serving of cheese is. On the up side, I'm down nearly 40lbs, so it works when you apply it consistently and have some patience.
  • janjunie

Thank you for the explanation! :) I didn't know a food scale was an important object in weight loss/calories. I thought that my measuring cup/eating smaller portions would work, but maybe I should invest in a food scale!

Yes get a digital food scale, it's the best investment in losing weight and costs about $20. Good luck OP :)
  • LUHAN27

It's well worth it. I was so sad when I realized how tiny an actual serving of cheese is. On the up side, I'm down nearly 40lbs, so it works when you apply it consistently and have some patience.

Wow! That's awesome progress! :smiley: I'll definitely consider! Thanks for the input! :)