10 Day Detox by Dr. Hyman

Replies

• igor1187
    igor1187 Posts: 11 Member
    I'll speak from personal experience with detoxes. Most just give you diarrhea, the ones that you buy from a box at the store anyway. I tried it years ago and that's what I got. More recently (3 or 4 months ago) I tried the Dr. OZ 3 day "detox". It was just a bunch of healthy smoothies. Now, a lot of people claimed to have lost weight within the 3 days. I doubt it unless they had a lot of weight to lose or just a lot of water weight, I don't know. I didn't lose any weight. BUT...

I actually liked this "detox". I felt really good afterwards. I didn't feel as sluggish as I normally do, I actually felt light and energetic.

Now, looking at what it consists of I can safely assume that the lack of refined sugar and fat in my diet and changing it out for healthy fruits and veggies is what really did the trick. It was just a way to force myself to swap out junk food for healthier foods. When my body had the proper nutrients, of course I felt better. The cool thing is, when you eat healthier, you crave those healthy foods. Now, have I stayed on track since then? No, it's the holidays, come on.

But, i do go back to it every now and then to force myself to get back on track if I feel I've been indulging too much. I don't follow it to a T anymore and use different fruits and veggies every now and then but I found that a day or two of just healthy smoothies does help ME. Whether it's just a mind game and I'm fooling myself or whether my body really does need that sudden change I don't really care. I'd rather be fooled. But it works for ME. You have to find tricks for yourself that work for YOU. If it's doing it in a healthy manner, I'd say go for it. Some of us might need a sudden drastic change for a couple days to stay on track.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    unless your liver and kidneys have stopped working, then there is no need to do a cleanse as your body naturally detoxifies itself.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    It has been a while so I will once again offer up my "3 F" detox/cleanse. Ingest plenty of Fluids, Fiber, and Fat and your kidneys, liver, and intestines will do a very efficient job of removing the yuck from your system.
  • melissawilson21
    melissawilson21 Posts: 74 Member
    Thanks for the input. I was just referencing to the body getting rid of additional "toxins" if you can call it that from sugar, processed food, gmo foods and etc. I have been doing more reading and I guess I am just going to journal my own personalized diet. I have PCOS and I read that more than 20 grams of sugar a day can increase fat in the abdominal area and more than 30 grams of carbs would contribute to the same.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Thanks for the input. I was just referencing to the body getting rid of additional "toxins" if you can call it that from sugar, processed food, gmo foods and etc. I have been doing more reading and I guess I am just going to journal my own personalized diet. I have PCOS and I read that more than 20 grams of sugar a day can increase fat in the abdominal area and more than 30 grams of carbs would contribute to the same.

None of those are toxins.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    What are all these toxins people are putting in their bodies? Fair question.
    I saw charcoal... but how do you ingest charcoal? I know nothing.

Charcoal is not a toxin, it is a therapy used by medical professionals to handle acute overdoses of toxic substances, most commonly in attempted suicide by medication or little children getting into prescriptions and eating the "candy". The charcoal absorbs the toxin in the digestive system so it can be eliminated before it gets into the bloodstream. It comes in a finely ground powder that is mixed with a little saline and forced into the stomach, usually through the same tube used to pump the stomach.

Charcoal tablets are also very effective if you fart a lot.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
    Oh an Dr Hyman is a total quack, and detoxes are bunk. i promise.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member

Where did you get this info from ?
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    I didn't see a full description of the diet...what is the goal? Lower blood sugar, or something else? Does it restrict certain foods?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Oh an Dr Hyman is a total quack, and detoxes are bunk. i promise.

Great article about Dr. Hyman and his crackpot woo on Sciencebasedmedicine.org: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/bill-and-hillary-clinton-go-woo-with-mark-hyman-and-functional-medicine/

He's appeared on the Dr. Oz show to hawk his wares, which automatically puts him into the "woo" category, even without considering all the other evidence.
  • melissawilson21
    Well, I have read about a few people who follow specific diets. For example, the keto diet, Paleo, Whole Foods diet, diets that exclude sugars, boxed foods (basically processed foods), etc. Some of these people have had success with it and show before and after; they blog and write journals. I follow a lady on Instagram who followed the keto diet and lost a large amount of weight, she didn't have sugar hardly at all, only if it was fruit which was basically berries.
    So what are y'alls views on eating GMO foods? Don't you think that the GMO foods pose some risk when we consume them vs. nonGMO?
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    This might sound a little harsh, but it is not intended to be.

You need to use a more robust source than blogs and instagram for things are entirely in the realm of science.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    edited December 2015

Okay so does this diet address hormone imbalance? I'm for those, although I've never reviewed his diet.
    Sorry you are experiencing PCOS! Yes, lowering blood sugar is an important treatment for that.
    The 30grams of carbs is too low, that would be quite uncomfortable too. 15g or less of sugar is good, but 75g of carbs a day for fat loss (49g net carbs/day, which is gCarbs - gFiber).
  • AnvilHead
    edited December 2015
    Well, I have read about a few people who follow specific diets. For example, the keto diet, Paleo, Whole Foods diet, diets that exclude sugars, boxed foods (basically processed foods), etc. Some of these people have had success with it and show before and after; they blog and write journals. I follow a lady on Instagram who followed the keto diet and lost a large amount of weight, she didn't have sugar hardly at all, only if it was fruit which was basically berries.
    So what are y'alls views on eating GMO foods? Don't you think that the GMO foods pose some risk when we consume them vs. nonGMO?

Nope. GMO doesn't bother me one bit. Nor does sugar, artificial sweeteners, red meat, fat, carbs, or any of the other million things certain people/groups choose to demonize. I believe it's all about context/dosage within the diet.

As far as the earlier part of the post, people have had success on many different diets and millions have blogged/journaled about every one of them. What matters is keeping a caloric deficit (for weight loss) and getting adequate macro and micronutrients (for overall health, athletic performance, body composition, etc.). As long as you're in a deficit, you can eat vegetarian, vegan, paleo, keto, whatever - you'll lose weight. No particular diet/way of eating will make you lose weight faster than any other, if calories are kept equal.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member

A Dietitian told me, that at least 130 grams of Carbohydrates (not sugar); is a requirement for brain function.
  • melissawilson21
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/a-z/detox-diets

I read this on the detox diet, makes sense and I see where many of you are coming from. I also like different opinions, some like these diets, some don't. This thread may be helpful to those considering it, read about it or maybe they have already done it and want to share their experience like one response above.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member

Having PCOS, carbs may impact you differently than other people. Some people with PCOS find that watching their carb intake in conjunction with a calorie deficit allows them to lose weight. I would recommend checking out this group to see what others have tried and what's working for them: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis
  • Lovee_Dove7

A Dietitian told me, that at least 130 grams of Carbohydrates (not sugar); is a requirement for brain function.

I most definitely disagree with that.
  • Lovee_Dove7

I'm not at all comfortable with GMO foods. I make it a point to avoid them, but I know they sneak in here and there.
  • AnvilHead
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/a-z/detox-diets

I read this on the detox diet, makes sense and I see where many of you are coming from. I also like different opinions, some like these diets, some don't. This thread may be helpful to those considering it, read about it or maybe they have already done it and want to share their experience like one response above.

Here are two more links worth reading:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-detox-scam-how-to-spot-it-and-how-to-avoid-it/

theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/05/detox-myth-health-diet-science-ignorance