10 Day Detox by Dr. Hyman

Replies

• melissawilson21
    melissawilson21 Posts: 74 Member
    The "Hyman" diet basically is a whole food diet, you are restricted from dairy, sugar, processed foods. Instead you take in whole foods with a load of supplements for 10 days or longer if you choose. That pretty much sums it up. Also another thing is that when you eat fruits, you only eat them in the morning in a smoothie; the rest of the day is veggies and protein and good fats. The outcome from the diet is clear mental status, more energy, craving of more healthy food choices.
  • melissawilson21
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/a-z/detox-diets

I read this on the detox diet, makes sense and I see where many of you are coming from. I also like different opinions, some like these diets, some don't. This thread may be helpful to those considering it, read about it or maybe they have already done it and want to share their experience like one response above.

Here are two more links worth reading:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-detox-scam-how-to-spot-it-and-how-to-avoid-it/

theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/05/detox-myth-health-diet-science-ignorance

I am getting ready to read the gaurdian, thanks for the links
  • melissawilson21
    ultrahoon wrote: »
    This might sound a little harsh, but it is not intended to be.

You need to use a more robust source than blogs and instagram for things are entirely in the realm of science.

I do use more robust sources but it is nice to see what other people are doing through other resources other than scientific sources, hence what gives inspiration.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    The "Hyman" diet basically is a whole food diet, you are restricted from dairy, sugar, processed foods. Instead you take in whole foods with a load of supplements for 10 days or longer if you choose. That pretty much sums it up. Also another thing is that when you eat fruits, you only eat them in the morning in a smoothie; the rest of the day is veggies and protein and good fats. The outcome from the diet is clear mental status, more energy, craving of more healthy food choices.

I think you'll find it does just that.
    What supplements? Do they address PCOS specifically?
  • AdmireDeVoll
    AdmireDeVoll Posts: 46 Member
    The only thing a detox is good for is giving you the *kitten*
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Thanks for the input. I was just referencing to the body getting rid of additional "toxins" if you can call it that from sugar, processed food, gmo foods and etc. I have been doing more reading and I guess I am just going to journal my own personalized diet. I have PCOS and I read that more than 20 grams of sugar a day can increase fat in the abdominal area and more than 30 grams of carbs would contribute to the same.

A Dietitian told me, that at least 130 grams of Carbohydrates (not sugar); is a requirement for brain function.

I most definitely disagree with that.

Why do you disagree?
  • melissawilson21

No it doesn't really. It just addresses chronic diseases in general
  • Lovee_Dove7

Still I think it will help, because one of the issues with PCOS is blood sugar. Hope to get an update from you if you do it. 10days wont change the PCOS, but it will allow you to experience that way of eating. I pretty much follow just that, and had great success with hormone balancing, getting rid of symptoms and dropped off 30lbs (in3 months!).
  • melissawilson21

Still I think it will help, because one of the issues with PCOS is blood sugar. Hope to get an update from you if you do it. 10days wont change the PCOS, but it will allow you to experience that way of eating. I pretty much follow just that, and had great success with hormone balancing, getting rid of symptoms and dropped off 30lbs (in3 months!).

That gives me hope! I start this new diet this weekend after I go grocery shopping, I pretty much got all of the junk out of the cabinets. I will update my progress when I finish, feel free to add me as well.
  • Lovee_Dove7

That gives me hope! I start this new diet this weekend after I go grocery shopping, I pretty much got all of the junk out of the cabinets. I will update my progress when I finish, feel free to add me as well.

Yay for preparation! Love it. I'll do just that!
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    I did the 365 day Kidney/Liver detox. Worked well.
  • melissawilson21
    I did the 365 day Kidney/Liver detox. Worked well.

haha :smiley:
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    What are all these toxins people are putting in their bodies? Fair question.
    I saw charcoal... but how do you ingest charcoal? I know nothing.

Charcoal is not a toxin, it is a therapy used by medical professionals to handle acute overdoses of toxic substances, most commonly in attempted suicide by medication or little children getting into prescriptions and eating the "candy". The charcoal absorbs the toxin in the digestive system so it can be eliminated before it gets into the bloodstream. It comes in a finely ground powder that is mixed with a little saline and forced into the stomach, usually through the same tube used to pump the stomach.

Charcoal tablets are also very effective if you fart a lot.

They did NOT work for my husband. :/
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    GMO foods are perfectly safe. And they provide needed nutrition for much of the planet. Yay for science.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Well, I have read about a few people who follow specific diets. For example, the keto diet, Paleo, Whole Foods diet, diets that exclude sugars, boxed foods (basically processed foods), etc. Some of these people have had success with it and show before and after; they blog and write journals. I follow a lady on Instagram who followed the keto diet and lost a large amount of weight, she didn't have sugar hardly at all, only if it was fruit which was basically berries.
    So what are y'alls views on eating GMO foods? Don't you think that the GMO foods pose some risk when we consume them vs. nonGMO?

Nope. GMO doesn't bother me one bit. Nor does sugar, artificial sweeteners, red meat, fat, carbs, or any of the other million things certain people/groups choose to demonize. I believe it's all about context/dosage within the diet.

As far as the earlier part of the post, people have had success on many different diets and millions have blogged/journaled about every one of them. What matters is keeping a caloric deficit (for weight loss) and getting adequate macro and micronutrients (for overall health, athletic performance, body composition, etc.). As long as you're in a deficit, you can eat vegetarian, vegan, paleo, keto, whatever - you'll lose weight. No particular diet/way of eating will make you lose weight faster than any other, if calories are kept equal.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Plus many people have success on these diets, but after? Maintaining is the problem. How many have kept the weight off 2+ years? That is real success. There is a great thread on MFP by ShannonMPLS on how she lost 130lbs and has been maintaining 3 years. It's a great thread and she cuts through th woo. If you want to lose and keep it off, I'd read her story. Leave the detoxes where they belong---yah you guessed it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited December 2015

There's a LOT of chronic diseases, and this diet is supposed to address all of them? Talk about magical health claims.

This diet randomly excludes dairy, a whole food, from its whole food diet, makes you eat "a load" of supplements even though it says the foods are healthy and nutritious, and arbitrarily says you can only eat fruits in the morning and only as a smoothie.
    Those are all alarm signs of a fad diet.

Here's what you should do. Just eat healthily. Most supplements are a waste of money at best. If you want fruit in the evening, have fruit in the evening. If you want dairy, have dairy. Hell, if you want processed, sugary foods have those too, just make sure you get your nutrition in. Count your calories and if you're being accurate you should lose weight no problem. No exclusions or arbitrary rules needed. Detoxes are just a way to part you from your money.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Thanks for the input. I was just referencing to the body getting rid of additional "toxins" if you can call it that from sugar, processed food, gmo foods and etc. I have been doing more reading and I guess I am just going to journal my own personalized diet. I have PCOS and I read that more than 20 grams of sugar a day can increase fat in the abdominal area and more than 30 grams of carbs would contribute to the same.

Try the Low Carber Daily group for more support if you wish to try a low carb/ ketogenic diet.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

Where you store fat is largely genetic. I'm a pear, so when I gain weight it's largely in my hips and thighs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

A Dietitian told me, that at least 130 grams of Carbohydrates (not sugar); is a requirement for brain function.

It is actually glucose and not carbohydrates (which includes many types of sugars and starches) that is required for brain function. You can get that by ingesting carbs, or it can be made from protein (ingested or the body's if you don't eat enough protein).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Water and a plant based diet is the best detox out there. My two cents.
    If you don't put toxins in your body, you have nothing to detox from.
    Everything we put in our body can become TOXIC, even water and vitamins. Dosage matters. There's a difference in ingesting a toxin and something becoming toxic. The diet industry preys on people who don't understand the difference and make billions off of people who believe that eating anything other than organic foods are inundated with toxins. Pseudoscience at it's best.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png