Really sore please help!

Options
I mainly run and do some free weights but I've not done anything for weeks so Monday I did a HIIT FB video with many squats and lunges and I still can't walk properly! So now it'll be Friday before I
Feel up to doing anything else. My hips thighs and quads burn! Any tips to make it less painful after!? Or should I stick to running? I've tried treadmill intervals but am a bit bored tbh. Tia

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's normal to be sore the first time (sometimes several times) you do new exercises. I'd suggest Taking a walk and stretching.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Radox bath, gentle stretching, walking
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    That and a roller
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    +1 for the foam roller. It's tough love, but it works.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    warm epsom bath.
    cold or contrast shower. best if done within 24-48 hrs of the workout tho.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Short daily yoga sessions can do wonders for decreasing soreness and improving recovery time. I've only recently started, but I've already noticed some exercises feeling better and being less sore as the week progresses.
  • jlisa24
    jlisa24 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Invest in a foam roller, epsom salt bath, compression recovery socks (for calves), keep hydrated, and a massage roller stick. Good luck, keep up the good work!
  • fitnforward
    fitnforward Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Make sure your muscles are warmed up. I eat an orange before workout and it helps with soreness.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Don't wait to exercise again. Get 1-2 rest days and then work though the soreness. If you wait for the DOMS to go away you are just going to trigger them again. Do not work through sharp pain, that is a different story and you'll need to heal.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Make sure your muscles are warmed up. I eat an orange before workout and it helps with soreness.

That's a new one to me...how? What's the mechanism whereby citrus aids DOMS
  • Mrskmacca
    Mrskmacca Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Will do an upper body today. I don't seem to ache as much after.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Mrskmacca wrote: »
    Thank you everyone! Will do an upper body today. I don't seem to ache as much after.

Because upper body uses less muscles, and limited core

• GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    If your muscles get sore I would suggest drinking magnesium right after workout. For me it works wonders. Also apples and walnuts are great to prevent sore muscles.
  • cupcakesan512
    cupcakesan512 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Honestly, for me, once I get moving again and my muscles warm up I am fine. Although, you may just need to rest you body for a few days.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Yeah, a less intense workout after a rest day always works to lessen the pain for me. If I'm really sore I'll take a couple of ibuprofen.

Alas I have no bath, only a shower so long soaks in the bath aren't an option! Now when I do a harder than usual workout I find the DOMS are worse the evening of and by the morning I've recovered pretty well, the body adapts pretty well.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

That's a new one to me...how? What's the mechanism whereby citrus aids DOMS

Any high potassium food will help, it doesn't have to be citrus.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I mainly run and do some free weights but I've not done anything for weeks so Monday I did a HIIT FB video with many squats and lunges and I still can't walk properly!

No exercise for "weeks". Then suddenly you do a high intensity interval training Book of Face video with "many squats" and many "lunges" and you wonder why you hurt?

That's about the same as saying "I haven't chopped down a tree with my axe in a year, but then on Monday I chopped down an entire forest and now I am in severe pain."

Detraining. Training Effect. Read up on both.

• jlisa24
    jlisa24 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I mainly run and do some free weights but I've not done anything for weeks so Monday I did a HIIT FB video with many squats and lunges and I still can't walk properly!

No exercise for "weeks". Then suddenly you do a high intensity interval training Book of Face video with "many squats" and many "lunges" and you wonder why you hurt?

That's about the same as saying "I haven't chopped down a tree with my axe in a year, but then on Monday I chopped down an entire forest and now I am in severe pain."

Detraining. Training Effect. Read up on both.

lol chopped down an entire forest. I love the analogy :D
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    any time you begin a new activity you will be sore. unless its TRULY debilitating taking a break is unnecessary and slows your progress. take some ibuprofen if its bad, i suppose.

I've been sore for a week (began incorporating more weight work) and am still sticking to my schedule and have added in jogging again.