How to deal with calorie limit when you still feel hungry?

Options
It's 11:30pm now, and my body feels satisfied at this point. But I'm at 2,587 calories when I ideally would've had 1800 to 2000 tops. (6'1 guy in my 20s, didn't exercise today though.)

I just kept feeling hungry. I generally have a nutriblast smoothie with greens fruits and vegetables early in the day, all that fiber and nutrients is supposed to help you feel full. Also I drink lots and lots of water.

But every few hours I get hungry, and usually my body is satisfied somewhere around 2500 calories. Or even more on days I don't count. My calculated definite to lose weight at this point is 1800 calories, or maybe 2000ish if do exercise that day.

So, are there any more tricks to stop feeling hungry? And how do you deal with feeling hungry when you're over your calorie limit for the day/

«1

Replies

  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    It may be the NutritionBlast that isn't filling you. Liquids tend to get digested faster than solids, and do not give you the same full feeling. Also,for me at least, I need to chew food to feel satisfied. A drink, no matter how full of proteins and nutrients, just wouldn't do it for me.

    You may want to re- arrange when you eat your calories. Timing doesn't matter, so if the evening is when you are most hungry, save the majority of your cals for then.
    Salads are low cal and filling. Have a salad before lunch and/or dinner.

    Lastly re assess your calories and weekly goal. If you are constantly hungry you may want to aim for a lower loss per week.

    Cheers, h.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    "supposed to" are the key words. I like to have an occasional smoothie, but I make sure it is low-cal because whether it is 200 cals or 400 cals, I will be hungry in a couple of hours. Chewing makes a difference for me :)

    Many people find making sure they get enough protein and fat helps them to feel satiated.

    Also, you might actually be bored or hungry out of habit. When you feel hungry, but just ate, try finding something to do that will take your mind off of it, or maybe chew gum. I find a hot cup of tea or coffee will work for me when I'm not sure I'm really hungry.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    - What are your stats?
    - What are you eating?
    - What activities are you doing?
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I'd ditch the smoothie for food you can chew and breakdown yourself via digestion.

    Unless you find the ritual of smoothie-making to be motivating or whatever, or you want the convenience of easy-transport (my hubs likes a smoothie for his commute), drinking your calories is not a good way to feel full on a deficit, imo.

    As far as how I deal with hunger, I try to meet my protein and fiber goals for satiety, but somedays I'm just hungry due to the fact that I'm in a deficit, and I just have to make the choice between tolerating this totally expected side-effect of deliberate undereating, or eating a little more to reduce my planned deficit and take the edge off.
  • GroovyLord
    GroovyLord Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks all so far!

    What you're saying about the smoothie makes sense, I've heard that about drinking your calories. That's the main way I find to get fruits and veggies in my diet though, it's just kind of easy that way. Still, that's only about 300 calories out of the day.

    I could try to maybe make smaller one, and have a salad later on too.
    tomatoey wrote: »
    - What are your stats?
    - What are you eating?
    - What activities are you doing?

    Today I had a Bruegger's bagel egg pastrami sandwich (whole grain wheat at least), 460 cals there. Also a Nutriblast smoothie I made about 330 cals, 760 cals of Freschetta brick oven pizza, cashews, a 35 cal rice cake with about 150 cals of natural peanut butter, etc. To a total of 2,587. No exercise today, but I do get it tin maybe half of the week.

    My stats, I guess 29 years old, 6'1, 227 pounds. Used to be about 50 pounds heavier four years ago, but I've been at the plateau of the 220s for years at this point.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    1800 to 2000 is a good goal for a gal my age (56). A guy your height and age (you didn't give a weight but assuming you're heavier than 250 lbs or losing weight wouldn't be a concern), you should probably be eating in the range of 2300 to 3200 calories.

    You can calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR or the minimum calories needed to sustain life in a coma) use the following calculation:

    ladies: 655+(4.35*lbs)+(4.7*in)-(4.7*yr)
    gents: 66+(6.23*lb)+(12.7*in)-(6.8*yr)

    where
    lb - is your weight in pounds
    in - is your hieght in inched
    yr - is your age in years

    roughly, based on your height (73 in) and the assumptions of; age 25 yrs, weight 250 lbs, and a slightly active lifestyle, you should be able to lose weight by keeping your intake between 2300 and 3200 calories.

    Never let your intake drop below your calculated BMR.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I plan to eat protein fluff in the evening if I'm cutting/hungry. Huge bowl can be only 100-200 calories and it's difficult to finish.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    based on your updated stats, your range is 2210 to 3040.
  • GroovyLord
    GroovyLord Posts: 12 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    d_thomas02 wrote: »
    based on your updated stats, your range is 2210 to 3040.

    Thanks appreciate the info there, and maybe I could go a bit easier. But from experiencing long plateaus, it feels like I should possibly be cutting more than 2500 for example to get results.

    Also, my BMI is borderline obese. So while my Basal Metabolic Rate according to the MyFitnessPal calculator is 2,049, at a more ideal weight of say 190 the BMR calculates to 1,881. Since there's plenty of fat to burn, wouldn't the BMR of somebody's who's very overweight not be something to stick to? Admittedly that's a bit confusing to me. (edit: also, I see other calculators go a bit higher than the one on MyFitnessPal here)

    But I guess in some ways, slow and steady wins the race as they say.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, so...

    BMI does not account for muscle mass, so while I do track my own BMI (also in the obese range), I don't give it much weight. <pun intended>

    You definitely need to recalculate your BMR and AMR periodically as you lose weight. Just don't use your final goal weight to set your current BMR.

    I'd suggest you read through some of the pinned post on this forum discussing "metabolic adaptation" (often mis-termed "starvation mode"). In short, eating too little for too long can possibly cause the plateaus.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    GroovyLord wrote: »
    Thanks all so far!

    What you're saying about the smoothie makes sense, I've heard that about drinking your calories. That's the main way I find to get fruits and veggies in my diet though, it's just kind of easy that way. Still, that's only about 300 calories out of the day.

    I could try to maybe make smaller one, and have a salad later on too.
    tomatoey wrote: »
    - What are your stats?
    - What are you eating?
    - What activities are you doing?

    Today I had a Bruegger's bagel egg pastrami sandwich (whole grain wheat at least), 460 cals there. Also a Nutriblast smoothie I made about 330 cals, 760 cals of Freschetta brick oven pizza, cashews, a 35 cal rice cake with about 150 cals of natural peanut butter, etc. To a total of 2,587. No exercise today, but I do get it tin maybe half of the week.

    My stats, I guess 29 years old, 6'1, 227 pounds. Used to be about 50 pounds heavier four years ago, but I've been at the plateau of the 220s for years at this point.

    Ok, thanks.

    For reference, I am a 39 year old woman, 5'7, 139 lbs. People differ, but I personally maintain on 1800-2200 (no exercise), and a meal under 500, that doesn't have what I think is a reasonable amount of protein, fat, and fiber in it, will make me hangry. I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that if I were a 6'1 dude at 227 pounds, I would be crying every night if I had to eat the amount I currently eat.

    I'm going to judge your day ;)

    Bagel egg pastrami - totally fine. Would have added something else here - 1/2 a cup of yogurt would probably be my pick. Would shoot for at least 500 for breakfast, myself.

    Smoothie - up to you if you want the protein. Can you reduce the calories in that a bit to make room for dinner later? Maybe use almond milk?

    Pizza - super tasty to me too, but hard to fit into a regular day with the macros I personally try to shoot for, I find. Would pick something else with more meat & more veg. (What are your macros?)

    Rice cake and peanut butter - that's 200 calories, ok. Personally - *all* this is "personally", ok - that wouldn't be that filling to me (rice cake especially). Peanut butter is good (I like it & have it), but for the same calories, I might go for more protein than you'd get in that. That snack is mostly carbs and fat.

    Cashews - how many did you have? I eat walnuts every day, love them, but I try to cap it at 15 - so many calories! I like them with a bit of yogurt, rounds off the hunger (for me).

    ***Overall: would add more meat & veg for the same calories.***

    Here's something interesting, to me - someone bumped a thread with a link to a BBC doc the other day. One of the points in it was that if you take a regular meal and make into a **thick** soup, that soup will keep you fuller for longer than the same meal would as solid food. (Here's a related video, not the one I saw: )

    I thought that was a *crazy* idea (and it totally is!) but was curious, so I tried it to check. (I sauteed some leftover chicken, zucchini, peppers, onion, garlic, bit of quinoa in olive oil and 1/2 a cup of bouillon, then threw that into a blender.) I did find that I lasted a fair bit longer than I normally would after dinner. Usually I need an evening snack, this time I didn't. I just tried it the one time, and didn't have the same meal the day before - obviously not scientific, lol! - but maybe it's an experiment you could try.
  • GroovyLord
    GroovyLord Posts: 12 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    d_thomas02 wrote: »

    I'd suggest you read through some of the pinned post on this forum discussing "metabolic adaptation" (often mis-termed "starvation mode"). In short, eating too little for too long can possibly cause the plateaus.

    Will do, thanks!

    tomatoey wrote: »
    Pizza - super tasty to me too, but hard to fit into a regular day with the macros I personally try to shoot for, I find. Would pick something else with more meat & more veg. (What are your macros?)

    Rice cake and peanut butter - that's 200 calories, ok. Personally - *all* this is "personally", ok - that wouldn't be that filling to me (rice cake especially). Peanut butter is good (I like it & have it), but for the same calories, I might go for more protein than you'd get in that. That snack is mostly carbs and fat.

    Cashews - how many did you have? I eat walnuts every day, love them, but I try to cap it at 15 - so many calories! I like them with a bit of yogurt, rounds off the hunger (for me).

    ***Overall: would add more meat & veg for the same calories.***

    Thanks! In general I try to leave out empty calories like pizza and refined grains etc, so that should help on those days. I had cashews a few times throughout the day so it added up for sure there.

    What vegetables do you find are good snacks? In general the spinache, romaine, cucumber, and baby carrots in my smoothies are pretty much it for veggies. Though I sometimes buy bellpeppers. I should get more into that for sure.

  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I only have a protein shake in the morning for breakfast because I'm not hungry when I get up and it's low calorie, provides a lot of protein and it holds me over until lunch. I don't think liquid drinks were ever really meant to fill you up. If you're feeling constantly hungry you need to play around with food combinations and meal sizes to find out what works best for you. Everyone is a little different. But I personally don't think you could do a diet long term if you're having to go hungry. The only time I'm ever hungry is if I'm getting home from work a little later than normal. I don't believe in starving yourself. That's not going to be beneficial in the long run. A diet should be easy to do. If it's easy to do you'll do it forever.
  • Sora4ever
    Sora4ever Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue too. It doesn't matter whether I exercise or not, I feel hungry all the time. My guess is that I need to eat more, especially on days that I exercise. If you are exercising (whether it be cardio or weight lifting) you need to replenish your body. Cals=energy after all.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    GroovyLord wrote: »
    d_thomas02 wrote: »

    I'd suggest you read through some of the pinned post on this forum discussing "metabolic adaptation" (often mis-termed "starvation mode"). In short, eating too little for too long can possibly cause the plateaus.

    Will do, thanks!

    tomatoey wrote: »
    Pizza - super tasty to me too, but hard to fit into a regular day with the macros I personally try to shoot for, I find. Would pick something else with more meat & more veg. (What are your macros?)

    Rice cake and peanut butter - that's 200 calories, ok. Personally - *all* this is "personally", ok - that wouldn't be that filling to me (rice cake especially). Peanut butter is good (I like it & have it), but for the same calories, I might go for more protein than you'd get in that. That snack is mostly carbs and fat.

    Cashews - how many did you have? I eat walnuts every day, love them, but I try to cap it at 15 - so many calories! I like them with a bit of yogurt, rounds off the hunger (for me).

    ***Overall: would add more meat & veg for the same calories.***

    Thanks! In general I try to leave out empty calories like pizza and refined grains etc, so that should help on those days. I had cashews a few times throughout the day so it added up for sure there.

    What vegetables do you find are good snacks? In general the spinache, romaine, cucumber, and baby carrots in my smoothies are pretty much it for veggies. Though I sometimes buy bellpeppers. I should get more into that for sure.

    I usually have either 1-1.5 cups of steamed or boiled green veg that has some fiber in it (asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts - topped with a bit of lemon juice) or a green leafy salad (spinach usually - nice with sliced red onion and 1/2 an avocado, could put some cashews in there too if you want).

    If I have the salad, I also have 1/2 cup of beans or legumes to add more fiber and fill me up. The beans or legumes can go into the salad, or a soup (I sometimes just throw them into minestrone [canned]). Or, I might make a warm bean or lentil side dish - just with sauteed onions & garlic, maybe a bit of red wine or bouillon. That is also nice as a main dish, if you add a bit of chorizo sausage when the onions & garlic are browning.

    ^^ not snacks though, I have that with my lunch or dinner.

    Red and orange veg are good to add in when you can - good source of A, C, E vitamins and some other stuff. I do fresh tomatoes with breakfast. Or red peppers with zucchini (they go together, to me).

    Decent rule of thumb - the more brightly or intensely coloured the veg or fruit, the more good stuff is in it.

    Berries are really nice as a little snack - raspberries have a ton of fiber.

    But carrots and spinach and lettuce are good, too!
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    GroovyLord wrote: »
    Also, my BMI is borderline obese. So while my Basal Metabolic Rate according to the MyFitnessPal calculator is 2,049, at a more ideal weight of say 190 the BMR calculates to 1,881. Since there's plenty of fat to burn, wouldn't the BMR of somebody's who's very overweight not be something to stick to?

    You need (and will use) every bit of that energy whether you like being "borderline obese" or not. At your height and weight, 1800 calories is what you need if you were completely sedentary and barely breathing. Is that you? More likely, with normal daily tasks, but nothing too strenuous, and no exercise, you're at 2300-2500. Try 2000 calories a day for a month and see what happens. Log any significant activity/exercise and eat back 50%-75% of those calories. Wait a month and if you still aren't losing 1-2 pounds a week, then eat back fewer exercise calories and/or increase your activity. Perhaps you haven't been able to get below 220 because you are setting yourself up to fail by setting your goal too low, which can lead to quitting and/or binge eating.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    If you're still hungry and your weight loss goal / calorie limit is reasonable for your weight and height, then you may need to look at making different food choices. Different foods satiate different people. I allocate 1/5 of my calories for breakfast (300), one fifth for lunch (300) 1/4 for dinner (~400) and the remainder (500-600) for healthy snacks such as berries, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, small tins of flavoured tuna, shrimp with cocktail sauce, and my emergency on the go Welch's fruit snacks at 80 calories per pack (always keep one or two in my gym bag / car / work bag for when I get hungry, keeps me out of the vending machines etc)
  • schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    It's true that smoothies are digested faster than solid food, but there are ways around it. For example, I drink my smoothies after eating plenty of solid food, which will slow the digestive process enough that I don't really see it as an issue.

    For the hunger pangs, try using intermittent fasting. I did 16/8 IF throughout my entire cut and I don't think I would have been capable of losing the weight otherwise. Martin Berkhan is the authority on IF, visit his site at www.leangains.com

    After I was done losing weight, I ditched the IF. No big deal.

    Also, 600-700 calories is a big cut. Once you've hit your target weight, you should consider GRADUALLY increasing your daily caloric intake to maintenance levels, so that your metabolism can adjust to the increased caloric intake. This is called "reverse dieting." If you immediately increase your caloric intake from 1800 to 2500, your hunger pangs will be absolutely insane and you could rapidly regain significant amounts of weight. During my cut, I noticed that whenever I went off my diet, it was very, very hard to stop eating.

    What macros are you using? Very high protein diets (1 gram of protein per pound of body weight) can be useful for suppressing appetite when cutting.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    i don't think you're getting enough protein or fiber (depending on your smoothie). I was always hungry until I started hitting 150g+ of protein a day. Most of the food you listed is just carbs and fat, with a tiny amount of protein. If you got rid of the pizza and nuts, and added some sort of meat, veggies, and a carb, it might help.

    Another tactic is to delay your first meal. I found for myself that it's critical when I first start eating. Now I start eating around 4pm, and fit in my 2000 calories from then to about 10. Makes feel much less hungry at night (though doesn't completely eliminate it).

    So in summary:
    1. More protein, more fiber (need to decrease fat content to allow for the calories)
    2. Delay your first meal until as late as possible

    Good luck!
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Try eating more soups to start. They will fill you up more, you will eat your veggies the easy way, and they are generally low fat and low calorie. Also, try and figure out if your hunger feeling is physical or psychological.
    If it is physical you might be missing some nutrients as well.