beautifulsparkles
beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
edited December 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Someone gives you $500

Would you buy:

-A second hand wii with wii fitness and lots of games like Just Dance etc

or

-A treadmill with netflix & skype

I think a wii would be good because it's supposed to be fun (never tried it), you are working on skills and its something you can whip out when your friends come over, plus its something you will use for years, but there is a limit to the amount of games you can get on it. The calories burnt playing wii are also somewhat of an unknown.

A treadmill would be good if you have an addiction to tv/movies but are short on time. The calories burnt are somewhat predictable although you can change them with the program or level of incline and you can multitask. The down side is that you could be outside walking and getting to know the area, or exercising your dog, and will you still use it regularly once you get to your goal weight or will it end up being something to store clothes?

Replies

• motivccess
    motivccess Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    As long as u sweat..
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'd go for the treadmill if you live in a climate that prevents you from walking outside half the year. Otherwise - walk outside and buy a wii for some variety. If you have kids that need exercise too - the wii will get them moving.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    SolotoCEO wrote: »
    I'd go for the treadmill if you live in a climate that prevents you from walking outside half the year. Otherwise - walk outside and buy a wii for some variety. If you have kids that need exercise too - the wii will get them moving.

I'm already going to a gym in Australian summer using mostly treadmill. I'll go hiking again with my partner in June when in runs out. Also when it cools and we are both up for it. If I had an xbox or whatever you need for wii I agree with Soloto here.
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    If I had an xbox or whatever you need for wii I agree with Soloto here.

You don't need an xbox to run a wii, you just need a wii console.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    A wii

But not for fitness goals but as you can run / walk outside just by leaving the house a treadmill is a one trick pony

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Actually with $500, you could probably buy both if you pick them up used. And either way, it depends on how likely you are to do either type of exercise. I generally don't like treadmills or other indoor machines, but when I'm limited on time to get out I use our elliptical quite a bit.

We also have a Wii and several of the fitness games, but I rarely turn it on.
  • ekoth_09
    ekoth_09 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    A wii sounds like more fun. You can always go for a jog outside. :)

I'd also get some hand weights!
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Barbell and bumper plates, then high rep deadlifts for cardio
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    jacklifts wrote: »

Deadlifts for cardio sound like a highway to injury to me. And how would you work on endurance?

What would you term cardio? My sets are 3-4 x 12-15 reps ...I don't consider that cardio ...
  • kalynbreann357
    kalynbreann357 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have both, definitely use my treadmill a lot more than my wii.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    jacklifts wrote: »

Deadlifts for cardio sound like a highway to injury to me. And how would you work on endurance?

Indeed. An hour of deadlifts sounds like a good way to develop RSI...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

There is no bad weather only inappropriate clothing.....if you live in the snowbelt I wouldn't buy either. You can walk/run outside all year 'round and you could spend the money on snowshoes / x-country skis etc.

The outdoors is meant to be enjoyed, turn off the TV and get out there.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Neither. I run outside and the Wii is kind of limited. So I'd splurge on the adjustable dumbbells I want and maybe a laptop if I didn't already have one and use Fitness Blender or similar Youtube workouts. It's essentially what I do now! Cardio is great in some ways but I definitely need the strength and resistance training too.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Treadmill over wii. If you can find a good one at the price, I'd do a rowing machine before a treadmill. You can get a brand new Concept 2 rowing machine for $900 and you'll never get a better full body workout.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Treadmill. Heck you could probably buy a used wii for practically nothing if you wanted both. Everyone and their mom bought one and lots of people just have them collecting dust. Heck my 70 year old aunt hand one
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Treadmill. I don't see myself getting into Wiig fitness stuff and I haven't played video games regularly since the Atari 2600 (Kaboom!)
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Neither, I'd go with a Wii U and buy stuff like Mario Maker, Smash Bros, Batman, Assassin's Creed, etc...

I happen to own both, and I use the Wii way more than the treadmill. The only reason I use it is it isn't practical to take 3 small children (2, 3, 6) on a walk in poor weather. While they may survive the weather, I may not survive the crying.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    A wii

But not for fitness goals but as you can run / walk outside just by leaving the house a treadmill is a one trick pony

This^

I like to use my Wii for step aerobics. But you can walk/run without a treadmill. Look up Walk At Home (Leslie Sansone) if you need to walk indoors.

I totally get that not everyone can walk outside. Bad weather, bad neighborhood, time of day.....whatever. A walking video is excuse proof, you can even mute the sound and use your own music.

www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

Weights are a good investment too.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

How about sending the kids out to play instead of putting them in front of a tube
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

How about sending the kids out to play instead of putting them in front of a tube

I don't think you should be judging someone elses parenting style. At least they are moving and active, having fun with their mom or dad. And what about when its raining?