What?! How!?

Weighed on Dec 18 - 206.5 lb. Went to visit family in Texas for Christmas. Lots of bad choices, didn't log food, snacked on cookies, candy, ate out a lot, worked out less. Weighed today, Dec 30, was 227! I moved the scale and weighed 4 times, yep still 227, I knew I had gained but Holy Cow! I am back home now and getting back to my routine, more determined than ever and I have learned my lesson, other people may be able to pig out over the holidays with minor damage, but not me.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Get back on the horse

You may have put on a few friendly pounds but there will be a lot of water weight in there too

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    lots of these posts are popping up..! most of it will be water from the extra carbs/sodium - give it a few more days to find your true gain and then get back on track, its the only way :smile:
  • michael_jordan7
    michael_jordan7 Posts: 176 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Get back on the horse

You may have put on a few friendly pounds but there will be a lot of water weight in there too
    I am hoping to find that much of it is water & will drop off quickly, I will be watching my sodium closely the next few days.

• michael_jordan7
    lots of these posts are popping up..! most of it will be water from the extra carbs/sodium - give it a few more days to find your true gain and then get back on track, its the only way :smile:
    I feel like I am getting back on track since I've gotten home, I'm looking at this as a learning experience.
  • michael_jordan7
    I was not surprised to see that I'd gained, SHOCKED at how much & how quickly I'd gained!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited December 2015
    It happens because we are living our lives and spending time with our families while we are also losing weight. Be kind to yourself, get back on your plan, and feel good about the life-changing decisions you have made for yourself. :)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    You probably did gain some, but chances are that a lot of that is water and poop.
    Just get back on the horse and progress will resume.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Yup. I'm also up 5-6 pounds from my pre-christmas weight (even when eating below my maintenance). I'm sure a lot of it for me is water weight (more carbs and sodium than normal), increased physical activity (I got a fitbit for Christmas and am having fun running around to reach my step goal), and killer constipation. I'll probably give it 2ish weeks of my normal diet and reassess then.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Wow! That is a big jump. To put things in perspective, though, if you do the calculations:

You gained 21 pounds in 13 days. If it was actual fat that would mean you ate a SURPLUS of 5650 calories a day. So added to, let's say, a 2200 calorie diet you would have to be eating 7850 calories a day. I'm sure you indulged, but I doubt you indulged THAT much. ;)

Drink lots of water and avoid so much sodium and I'm sure it will start falling back off. Don't give up.
  • michael_jordan7
    Thank you to everyone for the words of encouragement. One of my goals for the rest of this week is to drink as much water as possible while limiting my sodium and see what the scales say by the weekend.
  • michael_jordan7
    crb426 wrote: »
    Wow! That is a big jump. To put things in perspective, though, if you do the calculations:

You gained 21 pounds in 13 days. If it was actual fat that would mean you ate a SURPLUS of 5650 calories a day. So added to, let's say, a 2200 calorie diet you would have to be eating 7850 calories a day. I'm sure you indulged, but I doubt you indulged THAT much. ;)

Drink lots of water and avoid so much sodium and I'm sure it will start falling back off. Don't give up.

I had done that same math ...and yes, I did eat a lot, but I don't think I ate that much! Of course, I don't know for sure because I didn't log it.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    wow...congrats in reverse, that is an impressive amount of weight in a few weeks. For sure most of that will be water and will come off pretty quick when you resume your regiment again. New Year, wipe the slate clean and think of how awesome you will feel when that weight comes pouring off as it most likely will.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Give yourself a few days to get rid of the sodium, take a couple of poops, and save your freaking out for after your body gets back to normal..
  • michael_jordan7
    Just wanted to update, weight today, Dec 31, was 222 lb. I plan to continue drinking gallons of water and watching sodium intake.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    edited December 2015
    My scale said I gained 14lbs in three days over the holidays.... but I knew from experience that the majority of that was water. I retain water like spongebob. Less than a week later almost 10lbs of that is gone. You'll be ok. Just get back to the process.
  • michael_jordan7
    ewhip17 wrote: »
    My scale said I gained 14lbs in three days over the holidays.... but I knew from experience that the majority of that was water. I retain water like spongebob. Less than a week later almost 10lbs of that is gone. You'll be ok. Just get back to the process.

Thank you for the encouraging word!
  • michael_jordan7
    Recap and update: weighed 206.5 on December 18, ate whatever I wanted over Christmas, weighed 227 on December 30, got back on track, weight on December 31 was 222, weight today, January 1, was 218. During the 10 months I have been on this weight loss journey this is the first time I have experienced this, it is AMAZING how much weight can fluctuate from one day to another depending on how you eat!
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Recap and update: weighed 206.5 on December 18, ate whatever I wanted over Christmas, weighed 227 on December 30, got back on track, weight on December 31 was 222, weight today, January 1, was 218. During the 10 months I have been on this weight loss journey this is the first time I have experienced this, it is AMAZING how much weight can fluctuate from one day to another depending on how you eat!

Nice! I hope that's encouraging you to get back on track now. :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Remember this next year during the holidays and leave the guilt by the wayside. You have this under control :)