FitBit Worth the Price?

Options

Replies

• SoleilxStitch
    SoleilxStitch Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I would say it is, massive difference in how active I am with it than without, and like here you can add friends and join in challenges. I have the charge and I feel it is quite accurate. If you shop around you can find them quite a lot cheaper than from Fitbit themselves and they will still replace should something go wrong with it.
  • rjdr432
    rjdr432 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge HR and find it to be very useful when tracking my heart rate and logging a workout. During a workout it will log the duration, average heart rate and calories burnt. Ive also made manual calculations from formula that work out the calories burnt as a check, and the fitbit has been surprisingly accurate.
    Once you know your resting heart rate and daily averages it makes it very easy to work out you BMR and your RMR (even a VO2max if you want) thereby making it very easy to formulate an eating plan and credits for exercise.
    My question would be "is myfitnesspal worth it"?. I am having real issues getting the calories burnt during a logged exercise to synch and show credit against my daily eating plan.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    My question would be "is myfitnesspal worth it"?. I am having real issues getting the calories burnt during a logged exercise to sync and show credit against my daily eating plan.

@rjdr432 Do you log your exercises in the FitBit app and then synch it? That works for me, and I have the same burns on both.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I got a Charge HR 2 weeks ago and love it! The data it gathers makes me happy and I find the calorie burn very accurate, even if the steps sometimes aren't. I do find it overall accurate, as it counts 95% of steps even if I'm carrying something and not moving my arm. The few it doesn't count aren't as important as the ones it does.

Check Amazon. Hubby and I got ours for $120 each when they were running a sale.

Also, you don't have to wear it on your wrist; you can wear it on your ankle if you're worried about water intrusion.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit One has totally been worth the money. Knowing how many steps I get each day, and how many flights of stairs I take, motivates me to keep moving and also to stick to my nutrition plan. I keep mine clipped to my bra (also work with water and messy things for work); and believe me, if you are paying attention to the steps and calorie adjustments (when you sync to MFP) you will soon feel "naked" without yours. You may forget it once or twice, but probably no more than that.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I did think about those only thing I am worried about if I were to get one of those that I would forget to put it on haha I am rather forgetful

I'd be worried about taking it off my clothes and not putting it through the washer!!

I have a fit bit Charge, got it for mothers day and I would totally buy it for myself TWICE. I absolutely love it, yes at times it might not be the most accurate thing but its the next best and it really challenges me to get off my butt! The app helps you know when you should eat more... seeing as MFP doesn't really help you with knowing how many exercise calories you can eat back the fitbit will tell you when you are over budget or right on target!

IMO it is totally worth it, more so than MFP ( but its free! )
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I just upgraded from the One to the Charge HR and love them both. Prior to that I had an Ultra. Whenever I actually stick to the program, they work great for me. I only wish I had asked for a large instead of a small--although my wrist is right in the middle of the size chart for the small, in practice the band is really tight with very little give. I'm hoping it gets a bit looser as I lose weight. It should-- I have small wrists but they have some pinchable fat on them.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge. Not HR but the regular Charge. I love it! It's very accurate and I don't know where I'd be without it.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I had the flex for a month or 2 until it broke and I sent it back for refund. It was nice to see how many steps I was taking at work but my wrist started hurting and I stopped wearing it. I do heavy lifting and stuff and it just seemed to amplify my wrist pain. It might motivate some people with desk jobs to move more or to park further away but whether that's worth it is up to you. Personally if I'm gonna go on a walk I'll just use the mapmywalk app just to get the stats of the walk. But hey if you are gonna play video games all day and it encourages you to take a break every so often maybe it's worth it to get you moving but I found that after losing weight I don't want to play games all day anyway
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    (( I would like to apologize right off the bat if this is in the wrong forum!))

I keep looking at fitbits I am wondering if it is worth it. The models I am looking at are the flex and the charge. I am leaning more toward the flex since it is cheaper and I am not worried about having a clock or a call notification. My main concern is the water resistance I was dishes where I work so I am worried that it will get ruined even if it comes with a warranty.

I showered with my flex on for 2.5 years.
    I just upgraded to the Charge HR. Loved the flex. Loving the Charge HR. After 2.5 years I still find the fitbit motivating. If you get it, and like interacting with others, get some friends and do "challenges".
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I thought about getting one, but ultimately decided against it. There is an app on my phone "S Health" that has a pedometer and a distance tracker and it is surprisingly accurate. I don't know how accurate the calories is, but I know the distance tracker is accurate because I've tested it. Just another option in case you don't want to spend the money. I always have my phone with me (except for running), so it works well for me.

Also, if you really want a fitness band, check out the Xiaomi MiBand. My brother in law has it and says it works great and is accurate. It's only $15, so it is a small price to see if you like fitness bands.
    http://www.tinydeal.com/simplified-package-fashion-new-xiaomi-miband-smart-bracelet-p-142799.html
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    megpie41 wrote: »
    I thought about getting one, but ultimately decided against it. There is an app on my phone "S Health" that has a pedometer and a distance tracker and it is surprisingly accurate. I don't know how accurate the calories is, but I know the distance tracker is accurate because I've tested it. Just another option in case you don't want to spend the money. I always have my phone with me (except for running), so it works well for me.

Also, if you really want a fitness band, check out the Xiaomi MiBand. My brother in law has it and says it works great and is accurate. It's only $15, so it is a small price to see if you like fitness bands.
    http://www.tinydeal.com/simplified-package-fashion-new-xiaomi-miband-smart-bracelet-p-142799.html

I might check that out. I have a pair of their pistons earbuds and they are super good for the price tag.
  • FREEZE451
    FREEZE451 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was allergic to mine :(
    Hope you find out what you're looking for!
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I find the Fitbit an excellent way to become more active and remaining so especially if you have the competitive bone...lol I have the charger hr and I work out a lot so it stays semi wet(sweat) most of the day and it's fine. You can place it a few fingers from your wrist bone and it will still be accurate, otherwise get a clip on or go with a different brand that's waterproof (I believe the Garmin is but not sure about the community support aspect)
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    FREEZE451 wrote: »

I am allergic to my fitbit too, because of the nickel. But I wear it anyway. What I do is alternate the area where I wear it and that helps prevent blisters and rashes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    FREEZE451 wrote: »

I am allergic to my fitbit too, because of the nickel. But I wear it anyway. What I do is alternate the area where I wear it and that helps prevent blisters and rashes.

Amazon sells a "wrap" that they say will help with this.
  • FREEZE451
    FREEZE451 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Huh, well I should have looked into that before I sold it lol...

I loved my fitbit, I had the surge and enjoyed being able to switch songs and track my lift. I tried the microsoft band but that was not even close to how nice the surge was.

Maybe I'll look into it in the future. I do like seeing the time without pulling out my phone too.
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge HR. In the winter and when I run I wear it on my ankle. It still measures my HR (and I've calculated it's still pretty accurate) and also when I run with my stroller it makes it super easy and I don'thave to worry about it counting my steps or missing steps. I've had the Charge HR for almost a year now and I can honestly say it does still get me moving and the challenges keep me motivated to keep going ( I hate being in last place and I'm super competitve :-) )
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I think some of these smart folks have hit the nail on the head. You certainly don't need it, but it is a great way to add motivation. I love making sure I get that vibration at some point in the day that I've reached my step goal. I love having people on fitbit to challenge me. I love knowing (estimating better than just guessing?) how many calories I have burned.

It's not for everyone, but for many it is an amazing product.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    SolotoCEO wrote: »
    Save your money! I had a Fitbit Flex - I found it to be so inaccurate that I gave up and tossed it. A total waste of $100. It didn't count steps unless you were swinging your arm (try carrying a toddler, groceries, shopping with a cart,etc. and swing your arm at the same time - doesn't work), it didn't measure stairs well either (I walk stairs, not run them). The only positive - it did remind me to move.

And to address this, I actually just tested it on one of my breaks. I walked the length of my building with my arm up and not moving (like I was checking the time) and it still continued to count my steps despite me not swinging my arm. Granted, mine is a Fitbit Charge HR and not a Flex, but it seems to be very good at counting my steps no matter what while not giving me arbitrary steps when I am just moving my arm. The only weird thing I notice is the flights of stairs. I went up 2 this morning but it showed 4 at some point. Not sure exactly how it calculates this.

Also, go Broncos!