Hip Thrusts

Options
Syneea
Syneea Posts: 451 Member
edited December 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Okay Ladies,

How are you all able to do these in a crowded gym with a straight face?? I finished the book Strong Curves and now I'm ready to take what I've learned to the gym... I have had a trainer check my form and provide me with tips for squats, lunges etc... Anyway I've reviewed weeks 1-4 and the only move that I'm feeling a bit tentative about performing is the hip thrust! Reassure me ladies. Lol

Replies

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I own it. They used to look at me like I was a unicorn but I think they're used to me now. One of the first times I did it in my current gym I had an old guy prop his chin up on his fist and lean across a machine to watch me. It was annoying and creepy but I just looked him in the eye and did my thing. We had a staring contest. I won. :wink:
  • A_New_Creation
    A_New_Creation Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I own it. They used to look at me like I was a unicorn but I think they're used to me now. One of the first times I did it in my current gym I had an old guy prop his chin up on his fist and lean across a machine to watch me. It was annoying and creepy but I just looked him in the eye and did my thing. We had a staring contest. I won. :wink:

LMBO, too funny.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Wear slightly loose pants or joggers and point the pelvis *away from* other people. Or, do them in a room off the main gym.
  • jlisa24
    jlisa24 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    You dont lol jk good luck ;)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I do them one legged or on a stability ball and avoid eye contact
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I do them one legged or on a stability ball and avoid eye contact

+10000
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I do them at home. I'll admit, though, that my husband sometimes acts the part of the gym creeper while I do them. Same for when I do back raises and RDLS.
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Pretend you are alone and just do it. The dudes ARE creepily fascinated but there is no better exercise for developing some amazing glutes.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I'm SO glad I do them at home!
  • C_Stretton
    C_Stretton Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have these to look forward to in the next few weeks. I saw a guy doing these the other day and have lost all fear of doing them in public.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I need to get a barbell for doing these at home.
  • KatieLK14
    KatieLK14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    the first couple times i did them in the gym i felt SO awkward. But yeah just avoid eye contact haha, own it!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I felt ridiculous the first couple times, but now I am fine with it. Weighted hip thrusters were an adventure for me until I could do enough weight to get under the bar easier :blush:
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Being a guy, I'm not sure the staring contest thing would work out well. Fortunately I work out at home.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    I do them, with the bros watching on with a combination of horror and fascination.
  • ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    yeah, they're not the easiest thing to do with an audience, the most embarrassing was when they were part of my program regularly and these two guys set up next to me to do curls. they just took it in turns to stare at me whilst they were resting. now i just don't care, was mortified at the time!
  • PewterSky
    PewterSky Posts: 9,225 Member
    Options
    I did hip thrusts today for the first time too at my gym. So glad there weren't many people around else I would have just come home and done those.
  • deniseteas
    deniseteas Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I also do them on a stability ball so I don't see people watching me...maybe some of the guys on here can explain whats so hot about it???
  • iheartcookies2
    iheartcookies2 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I do them as a part of the group workout at the gym in front of at least 15 people. Never thought of it as being embarrassing. :) Although our trainer refers to them as "bunny humps"... Lol :D