2»

Replies

• Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you're just in black bear country, carrying spray is overkill IMO. Same with Coyotes and Wolves (neither of them will attack a full grown human and Wolves will most likely never even let you see them). Here in Colorado, black bears almost universally run the second they see a human. I never carry bear spray here and have even been known to sleep with my food in the tent if the weather is bad or if there's not a convenient place to hang it. Never had a problem and I'm out almost every weekend.

Now Grizzly Bears are a different story. They won't attack on site but if you get too close, which can happen by accident in deep wooded areas, they can attack without warning. Bear spray is a good idea when you might encounter them. I always hike with it if I'm in Yellowstone or Glacier. Fortunately I've never had to use it, but I have encountered a Grizzly in Glacier while hiking and was glad to have it just in case.

Someone mentioned bear bells. In reality they're mostly just to make you feel better. The sound of a small bell doesn't carry far in the woods and it's not going to alert many bears to your approach. It's better to make noise with your voice. Singing and clapping or talking loudly is a better option. You also need to weigh your desire to see wildlife with your worry about running into bears. If you make too much noise, you'll be lucky to see much more than an occasional squirrel. I tend to be more quiet because I want to see animals, but other's mileage may vary on that....
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    If you're in bear country don't forget to wear the bells.

Why bells?

Anyone hear the joke about signage posted at the entrance of a hiking trail?

"These woods are home to both black bears and grizzley bears. Please take proper precautions by wearing bear bells and carrying pepper spray. You can see if bears are in the area by looking for their droppings. Black bear droppings smell like s*** and contain berries and seeds. Grizzly bear droppings smell like pepper and contain bells".

That's why!
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    A scoutmaster here in NJ got attacked by a bear last week. He was in his cave for an hour and 20 minutes before the bear left. The Bears here aren't as afraid of people anymore and end up in highly populated areas.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Pepper spray...where I hike daily there are bears spring, summer and fall and mountain lions year round and the occasional wolf. The lions have been especially busy this winter, there are several deer carcasses along the trail. I worry more about my dog being attacked and I'm not even sure if the pepper spray would make a difference. Better to have it though. I don't use bells only because they are so freaking annoying.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I carry a firearm when in secluded areas. I feel safer with a gun then pepper spray
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I have been tempted. But we are in a populated enough area that I am sure one of the neighbours would end up calling my husband to ask i everything was ok at home. Lol
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I carry a firearm always. I feel safer with a gun then pepper spray

FIFY
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Pepper spray...where I hike daily there are bears spring, summer and fall and mountain lions year round and the occasional wolf. The lions have been especially busy this winter, there are several deer carcasses along the trail. I worry more about my dog being attacked and I'm not even sure if the pepper spray would make a difference. Better to have it though. I don't use bells only because they are so freaking annoying.

Regular old pepper spray? No, not against a lion.
    Bear spray at the least. A .45 would be better.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I carry a firearm always. I feel safer with a gun then pepper spray

FIFY

Thanks. ( its true ) ;)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    PAtinCO wrote: »
    If you're just in black bear country, carrying spray is overkill IMO. Same with Coyotes and Wolves (neither of them will attack a full grown human and Wolves will most likely never even let you see them). Here in Colorado, black bears almost universally run the second they see a human.

^ This. You're far more likely to be attacked by a dog while walking in town than by a black bear or coyote.

A scoutmaster here in NJ got attacked by a bear last week. He was in his cave for an hour and 20 minutes before the bear left.

I looked up this story. To use the word "attacked" is quite a stretch. The guy enters a cave where a bear is hibernating, in a area known for bears, and the bear defends its turf. I'm on the bears side on this one, as are the local Conservation officers. They're not doing anything to try to remove the bear, as they would were it a true attack.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Just keep an eye out for trees with a huge circumference. Backing away slowly only works if they aren't chasing you. At that point you'll want to dance around the biggest tree because I'll tell you right now bear mace only works if you have good aim and most don't in that situation
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Actually the best defense against bear attack is to go hiking with someone you can outrun.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Bears, coyotes, and cougar in the neighbourhood at my place. I carry bear spray but have never had to use it. Hubby sprayed himself by accident (a tiny burst) while climbing out of a creek-crossing single-person open cable car. Melted his GoreTex jacket and even after washing repeatedly he had to be the last person in our caving trio or we were all crying (days later). Black bears = stand next to your hiking partner and both of you yell fiercely at the top of your lungs while waving your arms above your head. Griz = back away slowly keeping the bear in the corner of your vision without looking straight at him, talk calmly. DO NOT RUN. Coyotes have only been recorded as killing someone (who didn't have a dog - that's what they are really after - owners are just in the way) once - in Cape Breton Highlands Park in 2009.
    "This was the first and, so far, only case of an adult human fatality as a result of a coyote attack. Genetic analysis confirmed that these were eastern coyotes, meaning that they were actually a type of coyote with a wolf-gene influence. Some lines of research suggest that eastern coyotes are more likely to hunt in packs and are therefore more likely to kill and consume larger prey, when compared to western coyotes."
    http://urbancoyoteresearch.com/coyotes-around-continent
    Even when hiking in the Arctic we never needed a gun and we had griz around our tent at night (fresh tracks in the AM) Guns are necessary if you are hiking where polar bears are present (as they are purely carnivorous).
    Bears in parks know that bells mean hikers with food in packs. Don't carry bells. Just be noisy as you hike so no bears get surprised.
    Cougars sneak attack usually but can be fended off by being very aggressive and hitting back with whatever you have - doesn't mean you won't be injured but you won't get eaten.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Even while working in town nights (security/policing) I regularly hear several packs of coyotes yelping and yipping to each other across the valley. No big deal.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Well at least if you hike in the woods and see a bear, your heart rate increases. ;)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Ha ha haha ha,
  • Julz868
    Julz868 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it, we don't have bears here in Australia❤️