10 Day Detox by Dr. Hyman

124»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    So fumes, even from paint and carpeting can be toxins. Got it.
    How about just breathing................lol.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Well, I have read about a few people who follow specific diets. For example, the keto diet, Paleo, Whole Foods diet, diets that exclude sugars, boxed foods (basically processed foods), etc. Some of these people have had success with it and show before and after; they blog and write journals. I follow a lady on Instagram who followed the keto diet and lost a large amount of weight, she didn't have sugar hardly at all, only if it was fruit which was basically berries.
    So what are y'alls views on eating GMO foods? Don't you think that the GMO foods pose some risk when we consume them vs. nonGMO?

I'm not at all comfortable with GMO foods. I make it a point to avoid them, but I know they sneak in here and there.

There is literally nothing wrong with GMO foods. If you think there are, then you need to do some actual research and read the thousands of scientific studies which have said they are harmless. And in fact, can be beneficial.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Well, I have read about a few people who follow specific diets. For example, the keto diet, Paleo, Whole Foods diet, diets that exclude sugars, boxed foods (basically processed foods), etc. Some of these people have had success with it and show before and after; they blog and write journals. I follow a lady on Instagram who followed the keto diet and lost a large amount of weight, she didn't have sugar hardly at all, only if it was fruit which was basically berries.
    So what are y'alls views on eating GMO foods? Don't you think that the GMO foods pose some risk when we consume them vs. nonGMO?

I'm not at all comfortable with GMO foods. I make it a point to avoid them, but I know they sneak in here and there.

There is literally nothing wrong with GMO foods. If you think there are, then you need to do some actual research and read the thousands of scientific studies which have said they are harmless. And in fact, can be beneficial.

So much this.

• melissawilson21
    melissawilson21 Posts: 74 Member
    I have been reading more articles on the GMO foods; I get that they are "safe" but some things I prefer organic. For example, apples. They just taste better to me, the GMO kind has no flavor to me at all or maybe just bland tasting (idk). I am glad science and farming have clashed to create a higher production of food for the growing population though :)
    Anyways, I enjoyed reading the comments. Thanks for the input!
  • melissawilson21
    oh and Happy New Year's Eve!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member

Reminds me of a quote from a dystopian future novel I read. People are eating lunch and almost everything is GMO and the one girl goes "can you believe people used to refuse to eat this?"
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    For example, apples. They just taste better to me, the GMO kind has no flavor to me at all or maybe just bland tasting (idk).

This is likely due to the placebo effect. Studies have been done to see if GMO vs non GMO foods had different tastes. They did not. Nor were they significantly nutritionally different. I mean, it's fine if you want to buy organic, but the science about it is totally clear.

• Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member

This deserves it's own thread.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    I have been reading more articles on the GMO foods; I get that they are "safe" but some things I prefer organic. For example, apples. They just taste better to me, the GMO kind has no flavor to me at all or maybe just bland tasting (idk). I am glad science and farming have clashed to create a higher production of food for the growing population though :)
    Anyways, I enjoyed reading the comments. Thanks for the input!

Perhaps if you are bored you can research the history of apples. You may be surprised to find out how much apples have been modified over the years to produce the fruit we eat today (organic or not, they are still very highly modified). This is true of most things we eat and it didn't start with GMO's. Humans have been changing plants for centuries.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    If I remember correctly, and I could totally be wrong, organic does not necessarily mean non-GMO.
  • melissawilson21
    interesting, thanks
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    snikkins wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, and I could totally be wrong, organic does not necessarily mean non-GMO.

Certified Organic is non gmo. Fortunately!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    janjunie wrote: »
    Lol. Dr hyman. Lol.
    janjunie wrote: »
    Lol. Dr hyman. Lol.

This is what I came in here specifically to say. ;)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member

This deserves it's own thread.

Useless--it would go under a lock. People on both sides of the issue are very passionate about their stance whether right or wrong. Too bad, I enjoy the science on the issue. I live in Italy and they've banned OGM. I can never understand why.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    snikkins wrote: »

Certified Organic is non gmo. Fortunately!

Certifying organic deserves its own thread too. It is big business and fraught with corruption. You frequently do not get what you think you are getting.

Regarding apples and other modified foods: for those who are avoiding GMO's there is a difference. Hybridization is a natural process as the result of intentional cross-pollination as opposed to actually inserting or removing a segment of DNA from the genome of a plant. (Personally, I don't have an issue with either). Many also have an issue with the politics of GMO and the companies who do it more than the food itself.
  • madgad
    madgad Posts: 1 Member
    LOL the author of science based medicine article is an idiot. He takes forever to get to his point, if he ever does, and seems to have already decided that Dr. Hyman's diet is quackery before actually investigating it.

Gotta love the pseudo scientist who critiques pseudoscience. It's a riot!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    madgad wrote: »
    LOL the author of science based medicine article is an idiot. He takes forever to get to his point, if he ever does, and seems to have already decided that Dr. Hyman's diet is quackery before actually investigating it.

Gotta love the pseudo scientist who critiques pseudoscience. It's a riot!

OK, I'll feed the troll. Show me where the author is wrong. Point me to the real science that proves detox is a real thing and is good for you.