Strength training

Options
I am overweight and want to lose 80 pounds but I also want to get to toned while losing weight what are some good strength training exercises for a beginner? The picture is the toned I'm talking about.ucsaryvi55id.jpg

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts 5x5
    New Rules of lifting for women
    Starting strength
    Strong curves
    Fierce 5
    Etc... Will all work for what you want.

The biggest component though will be eating at a deficit to lose 80lb, but you should start strength training now.
  • Katiedriss1
    Katiedriss1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts 5x5
    Starting strength
    Strong curves
    Fierce 5

The biggest component though will be eating at a deficit to lose 80lb, but you should start strength training now.

I am going to start strength training now as I lose weight plus I heard It will help prevent lose skin
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Cut carbs and calories (carbs less than 150/day). You ll get there.
  • tkfunkyfrogg
    tkfunkyfrogg Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My only addition to what Nordlead said is to track your muscle mass. If you eat at a deficit, you may lose all the strength gains you are trying to make. May want to consider protein-sparing supplements like creatine monohydrate and BCAA's.
    Ultimately you are smart in starting lifting now. I thought if I got to a certain weight I'd naturally look like that.... I was wrong. Lifting is where it's at because cardio alone won't help lose weight long term. Building muscle that burns calories even when you aren't at the gym or sweating is how to do it.
  • Katiedriss1
    Options
    My only addition to what Nordlead said is to track your muscle mass. If you eat at a deficit, you may lose all the strength gains you are trying to make. May want to consider protein-sparing supplements like creatine monohydrate and BCAA's.
    Ultimately you are smart in starting lifting now. I thought if I got to a certain weight I'd naturally look like that.... I was wrong. Lifting is where it's at because cardio alone won't help lose weight long term. Building muscle that burns calories even when you aren't at the gym or sweating is how to do it.

Thank you very much I have alot if weight equipment at home and I sweating my butt off. Okay I will get some protein.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts 5x5
    Starting strength
    Strong curves
    Fierce 5

Definitely try one of the structured programs mentioned above though too. I am doing starting strength, even though I have been lifting for years I have hit some major progression plateaus so I thought starting over from scratch with a more regimented program might help....and it is!!! The progrems are simple to follow and also breakdown the moves so you can learn them on your own.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options

Creatine and BCAA's are not really protein sparing supplements though. Creatine helps pull water into the tissue and will cause water weight gain. It has nothing to do with protein. It's purpose is to assist in providing water, which carries nutrients into the tissue thus allowing slightly more effort to be expended than without. A meat eater is very rarely lacking in creatine so it's not important for the average joe to supplement, although recent science has started linking it to increased cognitive function and it's recommended for all vegetarians, vegans, and older persons.

BCAA's are just amino acids, which are expensive and unneeded if you are eating a reasonable amount of protein. Eating e fair amount of protein (.6-1.0 grams per lb of lean mass or goal weight) will provide an ample supply of branched amino acids as that is what protein breaks down into as it digests.

Your best bet would be to eat as much as possible while still maintaining a deficit and keep protein high to spare lean mass. This will result in a slower loss of fat though.

To lose fat more quickly, eat at your normal deficit provided by mfp, protein at .6-1.0 grams per lb of lean mass or goal weight, .4 to .6 grams of fat per lb of lean mass, fill the rest with carbs, and follow any of the progressive overload lifting programs listed above (or any other structured programs... emphasis on structured) This will allow you to lose fat while maintaining as much lean mass as possible.

Most people don't have the patience for a slow recomp as it can take much longer and can make some people lose their motivation.
  • Katiedriss1
    Options

Creatine and BCAA's are not really protein sparing supplements though. Creatine helps pull water into the tissue and will cause water weight gain. It has nothing to do with protein. It's purpose is to assist in providing water, which carries nutrients into the tissue thus allowing slightly more effort to be expended than without. A meat eater is very rarely lacking in creatine so it's not important for the average joe to supplement, although recent science has started linking it to increased cognitive function and it's recommended for all vegetarians, vegans, and older persons.

BCAA's are just amino acids, which are expensive and unneeded if you are eating a reasonable amount of protein. Eating e fair amount of protein (.6-1.0 grams per lb of lean mass or goal weight) will provide an ample supply of branched amino acids as that is what protein breaks down into as it digests.

Your best bet would be to eat as much as possible while still maintaining a deficit and keep protein high to spare lean mass. This will result in a slower loss of fat though.

To lose fat more quickly, eat at your normal deficit provided by mfp, protein at .6-1.0 grams per lb of lean mass or goal weight, .4 to .6 grams of fat per lb of lean mass, fill the rest with carbs, and follow any of the progressive overload lifting programs listed above (or any other structured programs... emphasis on structured) This will allow you to lose fat while maintaining as much lean mass as possible.

Most people don't have the patience for a slow recomp as it can take much longer and can make some people lose their motivation.

I have time being healthy and sexy takes time
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options

By time, I mean you can't really apply a .5 or 1lb loss per week to it. It can easily take over a year or more to lose a noticeable amount of fat on a recomp. With 80lbs to lose, I don't really recommend a recomp. I recommend eating what MFP suggests with some slight changes to the macros as outlined above, then log your exercise and eat back half of those calories allowed.

You'll see better, quicker results and still spare most of your lean mass provided you keep protein high and lift with any of those programs.

You're right, sexy does take time, but not necessarily as long as a true recomp.
  • Katiedriss1
    Options

By time, I mean you can't really apply a .5 or 1lb loss per week to it. It can easily take over a year or more to lose a noticeable amount of fat on a recomp. With 80lbs to lose, I don't really recommend a recomp. I recommend eating what MFP suggests with some slight changes to the macros as outlined above, then log your exercise and eat back half of those calories allowed.

You'll see better, quicker results and still spare most of your lean mass provided you keep protein high and lift with any of those programs.

You're right, sexy does take time, but not necessarily as long as a true recomp.

I am still going to strength train while I lose I'm not in a hurry I want to be smart about it and thank you I will take your advice.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i did strength training and lost 90lbs and don't have any loose skin issues. The girl in the photo you put isn't "toned" she's simply fit and she did it through lifting.
  • Katiedriss1
    Options
    brdnw wrote: »
    i did strength training and lost 90lbs and don't have any loose skin issues. The girl in the photo you put isn't "toned" she's simply fit and she did it through lifting.

Wow that's incredible congratulations to you.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I am overweight and want to lose 80 pounds but I also want to get to toned while losing weight what are some good strength training exercises for a beginner? The picture is the toned I'm talking about.ucsaryvi55id.jpg

With 80 lbs to lose, 99.9% of the work will be losing the weight.
    As for what exercise routine to follow, see what is doable, experiment a bit, see what you actually like regarding exercise and keep an open mind. The important part is to keep moving and find something you will commit to.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Fierce 5 + caloric deficit + minimum protein/dietary fat and rest carbs. Have you figured out your maintenance calories?