No Fruits or Veggies

Options
I have never liked fruits or veggies. Is there an alternative that I can take that doesn't tastes as bad or worse that eating fruits and veggies?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    kastapp1 wrote: »
    I have never liked fruits or veggies. Is there an alternative that I can take that doesn't tastes as bad or worse that eating fruits and veggies?

You don't like ALL fruits and veggies? I find that extremely hard to believe.
  • kastapp1
    kastapp1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I can handle apples and bananas, avocado and corn. Other than that no.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat fruit or veg to lose weight. To have a healthy diet, yeah, you should at least eat veg. I find it weird that you claim all taste bad -- I really like them -- so can't help with that. It's up to you what you want to prioritize.
  • kastapp1
    Options
    Guess I'm just a bit different that a lot of people. Thank you though.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Try roasting them. They taste way better that way.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Alternative in what sense? Nutritionally, you could sub other plant foods (whole grains, nuts, seeds) to get the missing fiber, and probably you could get most of the missing vitamins and minerals from animals and other plant sources (how do you feel about eating fresh polar bear liver?), and toss in a daily multivitamin to top those off, and increase omega 3s from fish, nuts, nut butters, and plant oils, but you're still left with a pesky gap in phytonutrients.

It might be easier just to suck it up and find ways that you can stomach actual fruits and veggies. Blended in smoothies? Hidden in tomato sauce, meat loaf, and casseroles? Cooked and pureed into soups and stews? Have you tried different preparations (roasted, steamed, stir-fried, braised, raw)? Have you really tried a wide variety of fruits and veggies, or did you decide you didn't like fruits and veggies after only trying a dozen or so once? Studies have shown that children need to try a new food a half dozen or more times before they like it.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    not much you can find to replace them unfortunately.
    Are you really sure you have tried them all? Gosh there is just so many to choose from, I hate quite a few but obviously there are some that are pretty tough to not devour.
    I'll throw a few out there that you have to at least partially enjoy.
    watermelon...I mean c'mon now who doesn't love them?
    grapes
    strawberries, blueberries, raspberries heck any berries are awesome
    cherries!!!!

veggies can be more of a challenge but
    celery , carrots, cauliflower, broccoli can be pretty bland but can be fun with dips, cheese etc
    lettuce based salads can be easy to get into
    snap peas are very tasty and pretty easy to grab and prepare, they even come prewashed if you look around.

good luck

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. Obviously you've survived this long without fruits & veggies. You don't need them to lose weight, it often just makes things a whole lot easier; high volume, and generally lower calorie. Fruits & veggies have lots of nutrients & fiber, thus they are recommended for people eating fewer calories. More bang for your calorie buck....so to speak.

Maintaining the weight you lose will require a lifestyle change....all you need to do it eat smaller portions of your current foods forever.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i take nature's way Alive women's energize multi vitamin & mineral supplement since i have not been into green/fruit smoothies these last few weeks (green/fruit smoothies are mostly the only way i would get my grrens and fruits, which really is a decent way to get your greens and fruits if you don't like to cook and eat them). the alive contains 24 veggie & fruits/etc., has been really helpful to me and it does not upset my stomach. the ones i get is the one tablet a day, i usually only take half.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Alternative in what way? Like is there a meat substitute for broccoli in the way that there is a vegetable substitute for meat? No, there isn't that I am aware of. You can take a multivitamin if you are concerned about nutrients.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Don't take it personal....but how have you prepared them...? There's been a lot of stuff that I didn't "like" but after finding good recipes, they are more appealing ;) Radishes, beans, asparagus, are among my list of past "hated foods" lol.....but love them now......Other than that, what are you looking for....? I know you can find different "powdered greens" and such.....so you still get the nutrients from the greens, without eating them.....just realize they are obviously "processed" so some of the nutrients are lost. I know Sam's Club has a product called JuiceFestiv that I take......it comes in a double pack, 1 bottle with Fruits, and 1 with greens, and I take 1 capsule daily with my breakfast, cause I'm the same way, I'm good at eating apples, bananas, celery, but other than that, I lack fruits and veggies in my diet.....lol.
  • kastapp1
    edited December 2015
    Options
    For me it isn't a weight loss issue. I don't have a problem losing weight and keeping it off although during the holidays I enjoy a ton of eggnog which adds on weight but it comes off pretty quick when I get done with the holidays. I would like to be healthier in my eating.
    I will try roasting some and see how that works.

• kastapp1
    Options
    i take nature's way Alive women's energize multi vitamin & mineral supplement since i have not been into green/fruit smoothies these last few weeks (green/fruit smoothies are mostly the only way i would get my grrens and fruits, which really is a decent way to get your greens and fruits if you don't like to cook and eat them). the alive contains 24 veggie & fruits/etc., has been really helpful to me and it does not upset my stomach. the ones i get is the one tablet a day, i usually only take half.

I will try that! Thanks.

• SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Veggies get a bad rap from parental cooking. Moms, stop trying to make everything healthy!

You gotta learn to like veggies like many people learn to like coffee. Buy the good stuff (fresh) and load it up with fats and/or sugars, then work on cutting back on the amount of fast/sugars you use.

Because they are so light by themselves even doing something like that may still be better for you than eating a similar volume of something like rice or potatoes.

ex: I hated Brussels sprouts because my previous experience with them was the frozen kind heated up with a bit of salt. Then one time I tried getting them fresh, I cut them in half, and cooked them in butter, and loved em!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    For me it isn't a weight loss issue. I don't have a problem losing weight and keeping it off although during the holidays I enjoy a ton of eggnog which adds on weight but it comes off pretty quick when I get done with the holidays. I would like to be healthier in my eating.

You could also try mixing them into things, like adding small chopped veggies into pasta sauces, or macaroni and cheese, pumpkin in brownies, etc. Then you will taste the sauce mostly but still be eating veggies. They make books on how to sneak veggies into meals for parents that have a hard time getting their kids to eat veggies. Maybe the same ideas could help you?
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

So are you looking for suggestions on how to make these things taste better, so you can eat them? The way your original post is worded is confusing.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

A wide variety of organ meats
    Try different recipes, roasted veggies are pretty great
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You probably need to talk to a nutritionist or dietitian who would understand the breakdown or make up of vegetables and fruits to offer you alternatives that give you the same value in minerals and vitamins and fiber and also in the correct quantities based on your age and general health.
  • Karstey050
    Karstey050 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I use Garden of Life's Raw Meal Organic Shake & Meal Replacement. It is full of veggies and fruits, but you don't taste them. I use the chocolate flavor. It also comes in vanilla.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Guess I'm just a bit different that a lot of people. Thank you though.

You're not that different from a toddler to be honest

But you can use your adult sensibilities to choose to trial vegetables in all different types and modes of cooking if you wished to expand your tastes ...

Or you could take multivitamins and mineral supplements

Do you not eat soups or stews? Fajitas or tacos? Burgers? Carrot cake? All have vegetables in them