Greek Yogurt

Options
I have noticed a lot of people on MFP like greek yougurt. I've never tried it (or even heard of it until today!!!)

What is it all about? Is it easy to find? What is the nutritional comparison to normal yogurt?

Replies

• Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I bought a single cup of it today and plan on trying it in the morning. Wanna know what all the hype is about!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Twice the protein and delicious!
  • JJtexasgirl
    JJtexasgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I wanted to know what all the hype was about too, so I bought some. I didn't like it at all, except for the texture. The flavor is just "off" to me.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    It has two to three times the protein as regular yogurt. It took me a time to get used to it but I love it now.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    It depends on the brand, its thicker and stronger flavored than regular.. I can only eat Chobani, its good, I have some store brand, dannon and Yoplait stuff that tasted like wall paper paste.
    Its got a lot more protein in it than regular yogurt.
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I wasnt liking at first but after trying TONS of different brands, my favorite is the Oikos vanilla greek yogurt. The regular cup is 110 calories and 15g of protein.. I put in fresh fruit and it doesnt taste so yucky as the other ones.
  • supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It is very delicious and lower in sugar/higher in protein than normal yogurt :) It is made using a different process and is thicker/creamier than other yogurts. If you get the plain kind, it tastes JUST like sour cream (I use it in place of sour cream actually on things like enchiladas), but there are lots of flavored varieties that are good (though watch the sugar on those! hehe)

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE honey greek yogurt... it is like a dessert. So creamy and yummy! I like oikos and fage, they are the best brands. If you are new to strange yogurt products, I also really like kefir. It is like a runny variety of greek yogurt and is perfect for making dips and putting into shakes!!
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, the small ones are 80 calories and 11g of protein. If y ou go onto their website, you can print some coupons :-)
  • natl27
    natl27 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just recently starting eating it and I like it a lot. Greek yogurt is thicker than regular yogurt. I'm not a yogurt expert, but I think it has something to do with straining more of the whey out when it's made. Nutritionally a huge difference is that greek yogurt has a lot of protein in it- around 15 grams per 6 oz.
    I like the brand Chobani. I get the non-fat ones, which are around 120 calories or so. They have a bunch of flavors and I haven't had one that I didn't like yet, but my favorites are honey and pomegranate.
    It's pretty easy to find I think. I've seen it at every grocery store I've looked at and some of them are pretty small stores in fairly rural areas.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If the texture bothers you try putting it on a bagel the way you would cream cheese. That's how I got used to the texture and now I love it!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Tastes spoiled to me. I have tried several. But I hear lots of great things about it!
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Usually has 12-20g of protein per serving. Does have a different taste than regular almost bitter.
    Really depends on what brand you buy, some are really good and others are horrible. I personally like liberte, and I will add some fruit to it as well. I love it though =)
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I like it for the protein too but plain Greek yogurt (like Fage 0%) would make a good substitute for sour cream.
    To eat plain I like Chobani ones-pineapple, cherry, etc. But I do get Fage and blend it with frozen berries and milk for a smoothie and, like everyone mentioned, getting more protein is my goal.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    A lot more protein, and much thicker than regular yogurt. I've only tried the fat-free kind, but I'm thinking I might give the 2% a shot as well since the fat-free tends to need some sweetener + fruit with it.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Fage and Chobani. I like mine plain...however that takes some getting used to if you're used to eating the flavored sweetened types. I do add honey on occasion.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    *double post, whoops.
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    I didn't like the taste at first. Now it's the only type of yogurt I will eat.
  • abcwhite10
    abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I just bought and tried my first tub. It was Presidents Choice honey flavored and it was alright - I really like the texture of it. It's very creamy. I haven't tried any other kind - can't find much selection in a small town grocery store.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Zoi is my FAVORITE!!!!

I've tried Chobani, but I didn't like it.....my son liked his chobani - maybe mine went bad (??). But I LOVE, LOVE the Zoi Honey flavored - pretty dense calorie wise, but very tasty! I do use the FF Zoi for my smoothies, cakes, and other cooking...
  • NNsMomma
    NNsMomma Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have Greek Yogurt often and stay full for hours! My favorite recipe is as follows:

2/3 cup Greek Yogurt (my favorite is Fage 2/%)
    1 tablespoon blackberry Polaner All fruit or no sugar added jam - fold into yogurt
    1/2 cup fresh blueberries on top
    sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of ground Flax seed

Yummo this is good!