I work in fast food and cannot stop snacking!

Options
Any advice on how to stop? I've got pretty good self control when I'm at home but I work line at work. Employees eat for free at our store and there's always a line full of hot, delicious, unhealthy food right in front of me.

It's especially bad toward the end of a shift. I close and the last hour there's not much to do but eat and chat.

Replies

• amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I plan my day the day before. I eat about the same every day. I eat three meals and two snacks. I pack my meals and snacks and eat only that. I also drink 12-16 oz of water a day too. You have to make your mind up its important enough to prioritize your health.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Fill up on water water water! Chug it with no ice as fast as you can--so fast that it makes you a little sick and overfull.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Batch cooking, pre-planning, bringing your own food and learning that just because food is free doesn't mean you should eat it.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    Can you quit and work at a beer or liquor store?
  • jmh_90
    jmh_90 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Tell your co-workers about you goals! They can help you resist those temptations. Tell them to remind you about your goals if you are about to eat something unhealthy! ;) And also bringing your own healthy snacks can help!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Batch cooking, pre-planning, bringing your own food and learning that just because food is free doesn't mean you should eat it.

This. This is important to learn for all occasions: work, parties, family meals, etc.

Also, log the food here before you eat it. Seeing the amount of extra calories may dissuade you from eating it and realizing that it's not worth it, nor is it benefiting your health.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    If you have time to lean, you have time to clean. I remember the slow holiday shifts when I was working during school breaks. I'd clean the drains or empty / scrub / refill the cases where we kept dry goods and paper - that kind of thing that really ought to be done from time to time but wasn't anyone's particular responsibility.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Also, I think in my state it's a health department violation to have partially consumed food or drink in a prep area. I know my manager would have written me up forever for eating behind the counter.
  • kels11davis
    kels11davis Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Some type of mint or sugar free hard candy in your mouth if you're allowed
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I plan my day the day before. I eat about the same every day. I eat three meals and two snacks. I pack my meals and snacks and eat only that. I also drink 12-16 oz of water a day too. You have to make your mind up its important enough to prioritize your health.

These. Just because it's free doesn't mean you have to eat it. Bring your own. Pre-log the day. You'll have an occasional slip, but it's the day after day eating of the line food that's messing up your calories. Or, eat a half meal at work and bring your own snack food.

• lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The struggle is real. I used to work in restaurants and understand. Can you chew gum? Something really minty will keep your mouth busy and a strong flavor will keep you from wanting to mix it with other food.
  • amandaneese
    amandaneese Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also work in fast food and my meals are free. It's a real struggle to bring my own meals since the convenience and price is so great. I am never in the same store and don't always have a refrigerator to store things in. I have started to make healthier options such as putting things on lettuce instead of a bun, leaving off the sauce, cheese, or bacon. I have also started to bring snacks that don't go bad such as mini blueberry rice chips that satisfy my sweet tooth and are much healthier than the fast food options. Chewing gum does help. My biggest advice is never go to work hungry!!!
  • ctevis36
    ctevis36 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

This is what I do. I plan my healthy meals/snacks the night before. I'm pretty consistent with this, so when my office does have a potluck I can allow indulgences without guilt. The key is moderation and willpower.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Bring your meals/snacks with you. Prepacked 100 calorie snack bags, preportioned meals - bring a water bottle from home and refill it with water and lemons from work (if y'all serve iced tea you should have lemons) - keep a pack of Spearmint or Bubblemint Orbit - those are very strong flavors and you're not going to want to be mixing flavors. The last hour, keep it moving like cleaning the dining area - that's what I would do.